The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
hornetguy

Primer pockets

Funny that this is the first time I've had to consider doing this, after reloading for 40+ years, but I have a question about primer pockets.

I am reloading some of my Sellier and Bellot fired brass for the 7.62X54, which is from ammo that I bought maybe 12-13 years ago (light green box). I have reloaded some of it in the past, but have never had this problem.

I am using (for the first time) Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primers, and they don't seat quite below flush with the base of the case. There is a slight protrusion, even after I almost crush them into place. I'm not deforming the cup of the primer, but I'm using more force than normal to "seat" them. They slide in the pocket pretty well, but I'm putting more pressure on the arm at the end of the stroke, to make sure they seat as deeply as possible.
Since all of them seat to the same depth, I'm assuming that the Remington primers are slightly "taller" than the WW or the CCI.

Now for the question.. is a primer pocket reamer going to ream the pockets to the correct depth, or do I need the uniformer? I guess I don't understand the difference between a reamer and a uniformer. I know that some tools are designed to remove a military crimp, but I just want a tool that reams each pocket to a uniform size, which hopefully will be deep enough to seat the Remington primers correctly.
I'd research it here at work, but I can't access most "gun" websites.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
recarga

Funny but I just had the same issue but with small primers REMINGTON bench rest on lake city brass ones fire with crimp removed, but with cci primers had no problem , I ended up taking little more meat with military crimp removed

Does using different primers on your brass does the same thing?
Old February 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

hornetguy

the way that i understand it is that the reamer removes the military primer crimp and the uniformer unifforms the diameter of the flash hole. Neither one deepens the primer poclet. I could be wrong.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old February 13, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
daboone

this nomenclature may not be precise but...

1.A primer pocket cleaners can be wire brush or a cutter style and just removes deposits from the pocket.

2. Primer pocket uniformers actually cut the primer pocket to SAAMI specs.

3. Primer crimp reamers reams the crimps so new primers can be installed.

So I believe your looking for a primer pocket uniformer. I have RCBSs and Sinclairs and both work very well.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
hornetguy

Quote:
Does using different primers on your brass does the same thing?
No... I've used other primers without noticing any difficulty in seating to a good depth. That's what makes me think (without measuring) that the Remington primers may be slightly taller than the other brands.

After reading daboone's description, it does indeed sound like I need the pocket uniformer.
I would like to think that Remington's primers are within SAAMI's specs, so I have to assume that the pockets on the S&B might be just a teensy bit shallow, and that a uniformer tool might just be the ticket.
Or, I could just go buy some more WW primers.

In reality, I'd prefer to have correctly sized pockets... eliminate all the variables you can.
Old February 13, 2012, 04:38 PM   #6
thedaddycat

I'm pretty sure that this die will not change the depth of the primer pocket, but there is also a primer pocket swager die that will remove the military primer crimp. It does this without removing any brass from the case head, unlike a reamer.
Old February 13, 2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Clark

I bought some S&B 7.62x54R ammo 10 years ago because it was Boxer primed, and then had a terrible time seating primers in the brass.

I think that the primer pockets meet the SAAMI drawing for diameter and depth. The problem is the radius in the bottom corner is too large.

I got a Lyman pocket uniformer tool, and that can cut out the corners and make primers fit.

And it is good for cleaning primer pockets too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Primer-SAAMI dwg.jpg (20.9 KB, 13 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 14, 2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Colorado Redneck

Uniformer

I had the same issue with 38 special brass of all kinds. Never had an issue with 357 brass, just 38 special. After discussing here in this forum, went to the gun shop and got a uniformer and went through all of the unprimed brass on hand (that took quite a few hours!) Have had no problems since. Damned if I understand why that problem cropped up.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:24 PM   #9
hk33ka1

daboone has it right

You need the Sinclair primer pocket uniformer for Large Rifle (or any other pockets you want to uniform). It is machined from one piece and doesn't have a collar that can slip like the Lyman.

You can then chuck this tool in a drill or drill press and uniform pockets.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:19 AM   #10
thump_rrr

The Sinclair is the best one on the market however if you need one right away look for the RCBS primer pocket uniformer.
It is of better quality than the Lyman and around the same price.
It also has a screw but it is staked so that it can't come loose and the base is much thicker.

Like I already stated if you have the luxury of time go with the Sinclair.
Old February 15, 2012, 01:53 PM   #11
hornetguy

Why the delay on a Sinclair? Are they made to order, or do they have them on the shelf?

I've never tried to purchase anything from Sinclair, so I just don't know. I have heard that they are "THE" company to buy precision, benchrest type tools from, but I know nothing about their business practices.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Mk VII

S&B brass does tend to be a trifle shallow (and their primers seat rather deep in other brands of brass).