The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 11, 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
ammoeater

M1 carbine value?

Didn't want to hijack the other thread.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the value of a vet-bringback M1 carbine that has been hanging on the vet's wall since he returned from the war? It is an Inland, manufactured in the spring of '44. It has the bayo lug and flip safety, along with the bayonet and sheath and windage-adjustable rear sight. No oiler or sling.

He says it has never been modified, it is as it was issued. When was the adj rear sight put into production? He also has some stripper clips loaded up with ammo. Been stored dry and cool, would it be safe to shoot?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776

Last edited by ammoeater; May 11, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Tacoma

Couple of things to look for the effect value.
Import stamp on the barrel? (Likely not if it was a bring back but...)
Different date/manufacture on the barrel?
Condition of bore ?
Condition of wood and metal?
Proper/matching parts?

That said, inland was the most common of the M1 carbines so there is no huge collectors value. Still, a shooter that wasn't a parts gun is worth $500-$600 all day long.
Adjustable rear started latter in WWII as I recall. Get a serial # and the gun can be accurately dated.

If the price and condition are decent. Jump on it. These are allot of fun and getting pricier all the time.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:58 AM   #3
ISC

Paperwork certifying it to be a war trophy adds value too, but since it was US manufactured it was probabably smuggled back and doesn't have papers.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:50 AM   #4
blume357

from what I've read it has been modified...

was done just after the big war... all of them had the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight added. Does not take away from the value in my opinion.

when you say brought back from the war, does he mean WWII?

CMP prices are from $475-595 to order one and it will take 2 months or more to receive it.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:41 AM   #5
ammoeater

He said he brought it back from WWII, and he has done no modification. The rifle was issued to him with the bayo lug & rear sight. From the info I can find, both of those mods were available on issued rifles manufactured late in 1944? The serial # is 5,123,XXX.

Apparently, he removed the bolt to disable the rifle and has since lost it. I can't determine if this should be a flat or round bolt. I assume the headspace should be gauged if he buys a replacement bolt, does anyone know a source for a reasonable price on gauges? They seem pretty expensive...

Thanks everyone for your help!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old May 18, 2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Lashlarue

Midway sells the Forster brand headspace guages.I paid $54 for a set of 223's go and no go. I have two 223 rifles and a third now on my list of rifles to buy, so it seemed like something I should have.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:43 AM   #7
gak

It is a very common myth--that continues to be proliferated--that none of those changes made it to WWII-issued carbines. My bringback/unmodified/one owner (father/me) 6-44 Inland is another bit of evidence. Mine didn't get the safety switch, but certainly has the bayo lug (and came with bayo). B-29 pilot father found (NIB in Guam base junkyard!) and brought back behind his seat. It is true that *most* equipped like the OPs were post-war re-fits, and very few bayo-equipped M1s made it onto the WWII battlefield, but ordnance orders were let early in '44, with production (and perhapssome field re-fits) mid to late '44 and into '45. There are a few (very) pics out there showing them in service.
The windage and range/ramp adjustable sight was late '43 I believe.