The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2000, 03:08 PM   #1
Keeper

I am going to do some fishing and hunting in Louisana in April. I am taking a .17 remington to do some nutria hunting. I am not real familiar with this varmint so any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old January 20, 2000, 01:06 PM   #2
dZ

these guys in MD have a thing for nutria http://www.angelfire.com/pe/weapons/nutria.html
its called an AK

dZ
Old January 24, 2000, 04:28 PM   #3
cyriaque

Keeper-
I live in La. and have hunted nutria. They are easily dispatched with a .22 on up. Although they are a nuisance and a destructive pest, there is still a season on them. You can check on the internet with La. Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries for further info about that and a hunting license. Keep in mind that there are game wardens around (although I've never been stopped by any). Nutria usually move primarily in early AM and evening and night. You will also see them during day some. According to a friend of mine, they supposedly have some type of awful bacteria or fungus on them that you want to avoid so you may want to use latex or rubber gloves if you handle them.

I hope you're going to fish also. The marsh is hard to beat for drum and speckled trout. Bring a fly rod for them as well as standard tackle. In Delacroix Island area, you can also catch bass.

Have fun, cher! Drink some coffee and eat some beignets in New Orleans.

------------------
cyriaque
Old January 24, 2000, 10:39 PM   #4
Ankeny

What the heck is a nutria? Never heard of the critter. Are they related to a nauga? I have never seen a nauge either. But I have a couple of chairs made out of naugahide.
Old January 25, 2000, 12:56 PM   #5
cyriaque

Ankeny-

Nutrias are second cousins (once removed-or maybe twice) to naugas. But naugas are a lot harder to kill so its best not to even try shooting a nauga.

Nutrias were introduced into the marsh from South America-I don't remember when, but over 50 yrs ago. They are a little smaller than a beaver. A member of the rat family with rat-like tails and two orange-ish teeth prominent in front. They are very prolific and are vegetarian. At one time, their pelts had $ value but no longer. They have taken over the marsh in many places and eat vegetation down to the roots causing terrible erosion. There have been several unsuccessful attempts to encourage people to eat them. The meat is white and supposedly good.

I much prefer speckled trout.

------------------
cyriaque
Old January 25, 2000, 04:31 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Man those rat hunters look like they have serious fun.

Maybe I'll pack a sport-utility rifle with me on my trip to New Orleans.

Dr.Rob
Old January 25, 2000, 04:55 PM   #7
Keeper

Cyriaque
Thanks for the information. I am also going fishing for red fish. I have inlaws in Houma and I am looking forward to some good sea food. They are trying to make an honorary coon ass out of me. They told me that they thought that nutria were considered varmints so there was no season but I will definately check into it before hunting. All of the hunting and fishing will be on their land but I am not sure if that makes a difference. They thought I was a little off for wanting to actually spend time hunting them.

[This message has been edited by Keeper (edited January 25, 2000).]
Old January 26, 2000, 04:37 PM   #8
cyriaque

Dr. Rob-
If you're going to New Orleans, keep the rifle handy for 2 legged critters. There are lots of varmints in the city.

All joking aside-do be careful and if you know someone there, listen to what they say about where to go. For example, if you're in the Quarter, stay on the river side of Rampart St. Definitely stay in 'condition yellow'.

Places to go-
1.Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets then a stroll around the quarter
2.Central Grocery for a Muffoletta and just to smell the spices
3.Liuza's on Bienville and Telemachas for New Orleans charm and good, cheap food.
4.Mandina's near Liuza's but on Canal St. for the BEST turtle soup you ever wrapped your lips around
5.A free ride on the Canal St. ferry for a unique view of the quarter and skyline
6.A ride down St. Charles on the street car down to Camelia Grill on Carollton for an omelette
7.The Top of the Mart at the foot of Canal for a view of the city and a drink-it revolves.

Have fun-be careful

[This message has been edited by cyriaque (edited January 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by cyriaque (edited January 26, 2000).]