The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2013, 07:25 PM   #1
spitpatch

Help me understand.

On E-bay this afternoon a conversion cyl went for 285.oo plus 5.oo shipping. What don't I know? Isn't that more than retail? Or are they that hard to get that the price was high? Educate me.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Hawg

Somebody got caught up in a bidding frenzy or didn't check prices.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3
noelf2

Conversion for what?
Old February 21, 2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Newton24b

last time i checked that was actually LOW/MODERATELY priced for a conversion cylinder. depends on what its actually for, but that used to be a GOOD price for one.

ive seen some conversion cylinders go for 350 before.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
asmith

That is crazy, I recently bought .32 cal. conversion for my 1849 Pocket Pistol for $210 plus shipping.....the conversions for the .36 cal. aren't much more unless you want the rolled engraved model....direct from Howell...
Old February 21, 2013, 09:19 PM   #6
woodnbow

You'll see component parts on ebay all the time that if purchased together would exceed the retail price you'd pay for them from Midway or whoever... I don't understand it either.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Rigmarol

Kirst Konverter has the Dragoon in .45colt going for $350.00 retail plus S&H.

Depends on what caliber it was for.

I paid $285.00 or so for two a few months ago from Kirst for my Dragoons.
Old February 22, 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
North East Redneck

I recently looked at a SS Kirst in .45ACP for the ROA. Kirsts website lists it for $315 retail + shipping.
Old February 22, 2013, 01:56 PM   #9
maillemaker

Personally I think it's ridiculous that the darn conversion cylinder costs as much as the rest of the revolver combined. You know there's not that much of a cost difference between the BP cylinder and the conversion cylinder.

Steve
Old February 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #10
woodnbow

Economy of scale I'll bet. How many conversion cylinders have been built by Kirst vs how many BP revolvers by Pietta or Uberti? Also, what are the wage differences between Kirst' factory workers vs those in Italy?
Old February 22, 2013, 08:44 PM   #11
North East Redneck

Volume vs demand. Many more BP cylinders are produced than conversions. People want conversion cylinders. People will pay up to a certain amount for BP cylinders, they will pay more for conversions. Market dictates price until price hits a level where sales fall off. Companies will set prices accordingly. This will also control the second hand market.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Shotput79

The one on ebay is still a little on the high side. I'd love to have a Kirst in 45 Colt for my Dragoon. That just seems like it would make a cool gun even better.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:21 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

The panic has affected the blackpowder market.

I just read an article advising folks to stock up on muzzleloaders. Geez, if it got that bad, it would be better to evade and avoid contact.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:41 PM   #14
Shotput79

Yep Gary I agree. Stocking up is not a bad idea. You should be able to keep all those things for a long time if stored right.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:10 AM   #15
Doc Hoy

I am with Hawg and Woodnbow

I believe there is a group of buyers on eBay who don't bother to do any research as regards the value of the item they are buying. It results in prices paid which are above full retail.

I have seen it time and time again.

I started with eBay in about 1995 and it was not like that at that time but soon the venue attracted a less well informed contingent. I collected Britains soldiers, Dinky Toys, LGB trains, First Gear trucks, and the trend was identical. There is a collector's price guide for Dinky Toys and for Britains. Now you can forget about those guides. eBay has jerked prices way out of line.

I just sold my 9 MM dies, mold and sizer on eBay and for used items I was paid more than twice the value of brand new items through Titan. When they sold, I wondered if the major distributers were out. But Titan had everything in stock.

In the end the generous judge would assume that the person who pays high prices for stuff knows what he is doing. But it sure makes it unpleasant for the rest of us. Hawg's word, "frenzy" is probably more appropriate especially when it comes to shooting supplies.

There is much more to say about this but it would be wrong in this thread.
Old February 23, 2013, 09:44 AM   #16
PetahW

" A fool and his money are soon parted. " .

Old February 23, 2013, 10:29 PM   #17
North East Redneck

Never been a panic buyer, just a constant buyer. I'm surprised at the lack of BP stuff for sale right now. I've bought three BP guns in the last month, but thats normal. Around here caps, powder and even balls are scarce. Lucky for me I have a local shop that sells balls and caps at great prices. But they can't keep powder in stock. Now they are out of caps, for several weeks. Balls are still available. All of the other LGS have nothing. No balls, no caps and few BP guns. I try to put some money aside every week for shooting supplies, guess I will have a good amount of cash available when the shortages stop.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:49 PM   #18
Bishop Creek

maillmaker, you do know that Kirst conversion cylinders are are made of better steel and of much higher quailty then Italian cap 'n ball revolvers cylinders don't you? They can handle light smokeless rounds whereas the stock cylinders can't.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:14 AM   #19
DD4lifeusmc

conversion cylinder ebay

you got two basic types of people bidding on Ebay.
The one that just deliberately bids the price up extra high and hopes he doesn't get stuck
and the one that just has to have it no matter the cost.
I've become an ass on there myself.
If it is higher than I want to pay, I check the bidding history.
Then bump it 2 or 3 $. Make him pay more and hope he either really wants it or get's stuck with it.
I've lost several items, only to see them reposted a week or so later, by the person that was bidding on it. Couple I got in the end at a lower price than the winning bid the week before.
Sometimes it's better to use the buy now.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:54 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Make him pay more and hope he either really wants it or get's stuck with it.
Done that meownself but I like to think they get stuck with it. Usually if its something I really want it goes out of sight. If I don't really care it goes cheap. I watched a buttload of Single Six cylinders go for 40-50 bucks but the ones I bid on went a lot higher. I finally got one but I paid 80 some odd dollars for it.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:29 AM   #21
woodnbow

Every buyer on Ebay is gonna over pay at some point in time. It's a guarantee. I try to restrain myself and only bid in the last 15 minutes. And then only the amount I've agreed upon with myself... Sometimes it even works.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:31 AM   #22
deerslayer303

You guys really need to set up with one of those proxy bid sites. I have never lost an auction. It automatically logs you in and bids for you up to the max amount you entered. And does it all within the last 8 seconds of the auction.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:25 AM   #23
Logan5579

I've had my butt burnt on ebay a couple of times, but it was my own fault for not knowing the market for what I was bidding on. Now I always price whatever I'm looking at elsewhere so I know what the retail is. Over the years I've learned to be quite the sniper on ebay, but like woodnbow I always know what MY max bid is going to be beforehand.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:41 AM   #24
woodnbow

Slayer, I'm a pretty fair sniper when I want to be... problem is you have to have the highest total bid and too often Ebay buyers get emotionally attached to the auction. I've done it on Ebay and Gunbroker, I've done it real time at real auctions too.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:02 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
Every buyer on Ebay is gonna over pay at some point in time. It's a guarantee. I try to restrain myself and only bid in the last 15 minutes. And then only the amount I've agreed upon with myself... Sometimes it even works.
If I'm home when an auction ends I wait til the last three seconds and proxy bid every penny I'm willing to spend. And yeah I still lose one every now and then.