The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2006, 07:42 PM   #1
Shaggz

Barrel wiggle on Taurus PT92

I have a PT92AF. I bought it new a week ago and it doesn't seem very accurate. I noticed that when the slide is closed that the barrel wiggles very slighty, more up and down than side to side.
Sometimes I can almost hit the center, sometimes I can't even hit the paper. This is at aprox 20 yds.
The last thing I want to do is send this thing back to Taurus for some kind of repair.

What (if anything) can be done?
Old May 7, 2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The wiggle might open the groups up three to six inches at 50 feet, but not take them clear off the paper of a normal size target. If you are shooting off sandbags when this occurs and are carefully letting the trigger surpise you when the gun goes off, it is more likely that the gun isn't going quite fully into battery when it loads. Check that the slide is all the way forward for each shot. If not, you have a feeding issue. Try a different magazine. Try shooting plain Jane roundnose ball ammo. If it functions normally and stays on the paper, it may just be your gun does not like the ammo you've been firing. You might also consider getting a bigger piece of paper or a large cardboard backer so you can see where the missed shots go? If they are grouping, but at the wrong place, it is information the factory will want if you to tell them.

The barrel looseness will have to be corrected to get maximum accuracy. If you are unfamiliar with doing this work yourself, you will want to find a gunsmith familiare with match accurizing your gun.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle