The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2002, 08:37 AM   #1
rhoss1

Lee Powder Measure Kit?

Does anybody used Lee`s Power Measure Kit, The little yellow Dippers?? Do they work??
Old June 27, 2002, 10:00 AM   #2
swifter...

They work fine. You'll still need a scale, they are not terribly precise, but tend to throw low if you follow directions.
Tom
Old June 27, 2002, 10:23 AM   #3
foghornl

I had a set of the Lee dippers about 25 years back. Red plastic, as I recall. The scoop I used was supposed to throw 11.8 Gr of Unique, whne I weighed it from time to time, averaged 11.70-11.76, depending on how vigorously I shook the measure to level it out.
Old June 27, 2002, 10:54 AM   #4
Bogie

Under is generally seen as better than kaboom.

They're basically fixed metering devices. No big deal. I've known folk who load using dippers made from cases, etc... Know of one fellow who loads by dipping a case in powder, pulling it out, and seating a bullet.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 27, 2002, 03:34 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Bogie's right, they're a volumnetric (sp?) metering device.

That's the same way that every powder "thrower" with either a bar or a hole works -- the powder fills a specific volumn in the cup and gives you an approximate charge based on the powder's density and it's size.

You get a lot more variation with stick powders, and a lot less with really fine ball and flake powders, as they pack into the cup better.

I loaded a lot of ammo using those dippers. If you have an old set, like I do (they're red), the powder densities have changed over the years from the chart that's packed with the dippers, so you need to either get a new chart for recently manufactured powder, or you need to test with a scale.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.