The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2009, 06:26 PM   #26
Nnobby45

Quote:
If a Python big enough to kill you is out there, odds are it aint gonna have the speed to get you, unless you're sleepin on the ground outside.
When they get over ten feet, they're all big enough to kill you.

I've found ONE documented case of a Rock Python killing an adult human on the African continent. This on a continent, with many countries, where Rock Pythons have a wide range and are found in populated areas.

Asian statistics are similar.

I believe Anacondas have taken children among the native people.

These things tend to happen in countries where accurate statistics and record keeping are hard to come by and facts tend to grow into myth, even though many actual instances go unreported.

In the Sahel regioin of Africa alone, venomous snakes kill 20,000 people per year by some estimates. In some areas, during harvest time, the snake bite incidents reach 3000 per 100,000 pop. with a fatality rate, over all, of about 4%.

Not saying exotic pythons aren't a concern, but it's natural wildlife populations and nature's balance that is the main concern. I'd consider pythons a risk to children and pets, however. To you too if you let one get wrapped around you. Those who are experts know how to keep the snake from getting the leverage needed to asphyxiate. You might want to have a buddy if you decide to handle the critters. Their teeth can produce serious wounds subject to infection.

I keeping thinking of the snake expert Brady Barr in a hole with a Rock Python screaming "AHHH! Pull me out of here".

Last edited by Nnobby45; September 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:33 PM   #27
SavageSniper

I have been following this on tv. There have been several in the last couple weeks caught around here. What gets me is how a 14 foot python can hide undetected in such a small place for days. I am not freaked out by them, but I will kill on site if I see one. I am in need of a new pair of boots ya know
Old September 27, 2009, 07:49 PM   #28
armsmaster270

Time for a Napalm Strike