The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2008, 07:57 PM   #1
David Wile

Information On R F Wells Model C Press?

Hey folks,

I just bought an R F Wells Model C press that looks rather similar to the old Herter's Model 3 metallic "C" frame press. They are both massive old beasts. Like the Herter's press, the ram on the Wells press is set up for screw on shell holders.

First I would like to know anything I can find out about the Wells press. I never heard of it, and I could not find anything on the internet. It looks like a precursor to the Herter's press, and it is also from Minn like Herters.

Secondly, is there any not so expensive way to adapt the ram on this press to use modern shell holders? I was checking on new RCBS adapters for the Herters press, but they sure are expensive for what is essentially an old press even if it is in good condition. Does anyone have a used adapter they would be will to sell at a reasonable price?

This press is not a "must have" for me. I bought it because it was cheap and it represents a classic time of reloading for me. I have a Rock Chucker and a Hornady L&L progressive, but this is just something that should be put in working order and standing tall.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old February 5, 2008, 08:49 AM   #2
wncchester

Well's was the maker/foundry, Herter's was the reseller.

They were indeed massive and strong but there is no special info on them to my knowledge, pretty straight forward tools. Get the shell holder adaptor, the press is worth using even tho RCBS overcharges for everything so they can afflord to give away impressive "free" repair parts later.
Old February 5, 2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Sevens

If you simply want to have it functional and on the bench, you could always set it up as a dedicated priming tool. A Lee Safety Prime uses regular shell holders, and those shell holders screw in to the die that does the priming. I would think you could find a way to mount the primer ram in to the press' ram.

Then you could prime with it and still get functional use from it.

The only suggestion I can come up with is to scour Ebay and even set up a "want it now" alert on there so you can find parts or salvageable items for dirt cheap from another one.
Old February 9, 2008, 04:11 PM   #4
David Wile

Hey folks,

Sometimes I suspect I am a bit of a fool for buying old presses that are not in working order, that are outdated, and are not really as useful as an RCBS Jr. In fact this R. F. Wells antique press has now cost me a good bit more than I would have to pay for an RCBS Jr on E-Bay, and that includes shipping.

In spite of that fact, I bought an adapter from Dave at C-H Die that screws on the top of the Wells ram and enables it to use modern shell holders. The adapter alone cost a little over $45 with S&H. Dave at C-H said he made up a dozen of these adapters for a Herters press that had a threaded ram. From the looks of this adapter, it would seem the Herters ram must have been a 1 inch diameter. The ram on my Wells is about .810 inch in diameter, so the adapter looks like a big knob on top of the ram.

The cost of the adapter seems rather steep, but I am not a machinist, and I am unable to make one myself from scratch. I was unable to find any other adapter to fit the threaded ram on the Wells. I am sure if I went to a macine shop to have one made, it would cost a lot more than $45.

In any case, I now have an R. F. Wells press that looks almost new, is in actual working condition, and is ready to fill some cases with bullets. I realize it is not as practical as my Rock Chucker, but then everybody has a Rock Chucker, while very few have an R. F. Wells press.

Hmmm, not too sure if that speaks good or bad for my common sense?! Oh well, the Wells press adds character to the bench.

In the meantime, you can snicker at me for spending good money after bad on an old fashioned press of questionable value. I have to confess that I like to see old machines working again - I just hate paying for the privilege. One can never have too many reloading presses.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old February 9, 2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Archie

Mr. Wile...

You have a bit of living history, as it were. I think it is somewhat the same that some of us just prefer single and double action revolvers to plastic multishooters.

For general use, I wouldn't trade my XL650 for anything. But I like the old historical bits too. Like you said, it adds a bit of class to the bench.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 9, 2008, 07:20 PM   #6
rrp

model c press

Mr. Wile, a few years ago I bought an old reloading press at a neighborhood garage sale. It is marked Professional model-c made by Bystrom Brothers out of Minneapolis Minn. also has no.2-c in the cast where the primer arm is fastened. I might add that this press was a complete set with scale,and powder dipenser. It only came with a set of Herters 270 dies and one shell holder for the same. When I bought it I searched the net and found a sight for Bystrom Bros. and was able to contact them by phone. I was able to talk with a gentleman in the parts department and was given some information about these old presses and he gave me every part he had left in his parts bin for the press. He told me the last time anyone had inquired about these was decades ago. He sent me fifteen shellholders and three primer plungers that he had in a parts bin. I was told that their foundry made presses for herters and others as well as their own back in the 60's. The fellow I talked to would not take anything for the parts and would not even let me send him shipping costs. He said he was just happy that one of the old presses would get some use. My son is getting into reloading with this press now.