The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Grits

Which Dies

I have reloaded in the past but it has been long time ago. I still have the equipment and am in the process of ordering dies for 9 mm. I have never reloaded and 9mm or .45 and I am not sure about the dies I need.

I see a carbide 4 die set by Lee with shell holder included and a 3 die set by RCBS and I think I will have to buy the shell holder separate. The Lee is actually cheaper from Cabelas. Which set should I buy and why the 4 die versus the 3 die. Does the Lee do something extra ??

Thanks
Old April 15, 2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Gadawg88

I have 9 different sets of Lee dies and I have no complaints. I can't give you a comparison as I only own Lee dies. You are probably going to get a lot of different opinions and comments, but as far as I am concerned the Lee dies are a good value and get the job done well. You can spend more money and for some, maybe it is justified for a particular reason. The Lee four die handgun die set includes the factory crimp die which allows you to crimp in a separate step from the bullet seating step.
Old April 15, 2015, 04:44 PM   #3
skizzums

I make fantastic ammo with nothing but lee dies. You can't beat the value, and their dies make the same dimensions as anyone else's. I would only consider more expensive dies if making ranged match ammo, not for pistol and def not for 9mm.

I only have the 3 die set for 9mm. I have not felt the need to crimp seperate from the crimp the seating die already gives. But I could see situations where it could come in handy. Since the cost difference in minimal, if I could go back I would get a 4 die set
Old April 15, 2015, 05:13 PM   #4
math teacher

The dies are a little cheaper at MidwayUSA as well as several other sources.
Old April 15, 2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Nathan

I would buy a Hornady die set and add a taper crimp or lee FCD.
Old April 15, 2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Smoke & Recoil

Lee 4 die set gets my vote, the 4th die is a separate taper crimp die/chamber gauge. Other die sets are good too, but Lee includes a shell holder ($8.00)
value from others. Lee is great value and quality too.
Old April 15, 2015, 06:02 PM   #7
skizzums

Fsreloading.com is my go-to lee store. The website can be a bit of a maze, but I haven't found cheaper with decent shipping on lee stuff.
Old April 15, 2015, 07:25 PM   #8
McCarthy

I spent quiet a bit of research on my equipment prior purchase. I tried to find the best dies possible without considering the price. My conclusion consists of all Redding Pro Completion dies with Hornady lock rings. The Hornady locks don't screw up the die threads and can be tighten with a wrench.

If you go the budget route with LEE dies I still suggest having a look at the Hornady lock rings. The LEE rubber ring locks are a PITA (IMO).
Old April 15, 2015, 08:22 PM   #9
Grits

Thanks for all the input. I may need some more help when the dies get here. I ordered the 4 die set from Lee.
Old April 15, 2015, 10:53 PM   #10
oldreloader

4 die set from Lee gets my vote. I have several.
Old April 15, 2015, 11:12 PM   #11
Dragonflydf

Quote:
Fsreloading.com is my go-to lee store. The website can be a bit of a maze, but I haven't found cheaper with decent shipping on lee stuff.
What he said
Old April 16, 2015, 06:10 AM   #12
Gravedigger56

The deluxe carbide 4-die set from Lee is hard to beat.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:40 AM   #13
mwells72774

I prefer lee dies for pistol but RCBS dies for rifle. The RCBS pistol dies just didn't work as well as the lee for me plus lee has the powder through die that expands the case mouth
Old April 16, 2015, 10:19 AM   #14
DavidAGO

I am in agreement with the Lee dies, their lock rings will drive you crazy at first, but after you learn how to use them properly, they work well. now I prefer them. I do suggest cleaning the dies well with brake cleaner, dissemble them, check for any machining debris, then go to town with them.

BTW, I use RCBS dies often also, like one poster, mostly for rifle, but have seen no difference between the RCBS and Lee dies in what quality of ammunition they turn out. RCBS has better customer service IMHO

David
Old April 16, 2015, 01:03 PM   #15
snuffy

Quote:
I spent quiet a bit of research on my equipment prior purchase. I tried to find the best dies possible without considering the price. My conclusion consists of all Redding Pro Completion dies with Hornady lock rings. The Hornady locks don't screw up the die threads and can be tighten with a wrench.

If you go the budget route with LEE dies I still suggest having a look at the Hornady lock rings. The LEE rubber ring locks are a PITA (IMO).
A couple of things to mention, no real bad advice, just to point out that the Hornady lock rings won't work on a lee turret. Not enough room. They are excellent rings, I use them on the dillon tool heads, and on the single stage Lee classic cast.

The Lee rubber "O" rings are a clever solution to the conventional set screws on most other dies. As David said, once you learn how they work, they work well.

The concept is that once the die is in it's proper position, just run the lock ring down snug against the top of the press. WHILE HOLDING THE DIE IN POSITION. Now when removing the die, turn the whole die AND the lock ring out of the press--tool head--or bushing as a unit. You will notice the "O" ring now has a firm grip on the die. It will go back to the same setting IF you turn the die and lock ring together when re-inserting it into the threads. Pretty clever, but that is what makes Lee the leader with new ideas at good prices.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 16, 2015, 01:25 PM   #16
the led farmer

Which Dies

What snuffy said ^^

Like most lee gear it is genius in simplicity. You could tack-weld the thing on, but why bother when a simple rubber O suffices?? No need to over complicate a simple thing
Old April 16, 2015, 05:40 PM   #17
McCarthy

Quote:
A couple of things to mention, no real bad advice, just to point out that the Hornady lock rings won't work on a lee turret. Not enough room.
Good to know. Not enough room on the head.. just another reason why LEE isn't for me.

Quote:
The Lee rubber "O" rings are a clever solution to the conventional set screws on most other dies. As David said, once you learn how they work, they work well.

The concept is that once the die is in it's proper position, just run the lock ring down snug against the top of the press. WHILE HOLDING THE DIE IN POSITION. Now when removing the die, turn the whole die AND the lock ring out of the press--tool head--or bushing as a unit. You will notice the "O" ring now has a firm grip on the die. It will go back to the same setting IF you turn the die and lock ring together when re-inserting it into the threads. Pretty clever, but that is what makes Lee the leader with new ideas at good prices.
When I load .32 S&W long, .32 H&R Mag and .327 FedMag all on the same die set I have to back them out. That's when you learn that the LEE rubber ring lock is super annoying to work with. That's not innovative, that's just cheap.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:59 PM   #18
Gster

I use all Lee dies and have never had an issue with them.
Old April 16, 2015, 07:38 PM   #19
Machineguntony

I use Dillon dies. I really see no difference in any of the die sets among the various manufacturers, quality-wise or performance-wise. They break just as often as other die sets, especially the decapping pin. Dillon has replaced my decapping when on the three occasions when I had a rock the was inside the brass and bent the pin. Other than that I'll use anything.
Old April 16, 2015, 07:42 PM   #20
Jim243

Quote:
Does the Lee do something extra ??
Yes, factory crimp die. I have been using my 4 die set for 9 mm over 10 years.

Lee is the way to go.
Jim
Old April 19, 2015, 09:16 AM   #21
F. Guffey

I have dies, I use dies, I do not make excuses for using one die or the other. I opened up a box of dies the other day and thought it was amazing, none of the dies had rusted, I sorted through them then realized none of them were lee.

F. Guffey
Old April 19, 2015, 03:09 PM   #22
WCWV

I've been using Lee dies for years and have never had any issues. All my pistol dies are the 4 die carbine sets. Have never had any rust issues what so ever, and have rolled out thousands of rounds.
Old April 19, 2015, 04:18 PM   #23
motard

subscribe me to the lee fans posse. not only the o-ringed locking ring works flawlessy but it also helps self centering the rounds because of the slight amount of play of the die on the press. for 9 mm i use the pacesetter four piece with the decapper pin installed on the factory crimp die and placed in the first poisition (first decaaping ful resizing die boy dicarded).
so basically
i resize&decap
-flare&charge
-seat&crimp
in only 3 passages
with the autopowder measure installed on the flaring die the whole process is very fast but effective and my 9mm imi rounds comes out with no cocke belly shape
Old April 19, 2015, 05:04 PM   #24
YARDDOG(1)

My RCBS set rusted before any of my lee's.. just a thought ; )
Y/D
Old April 19, 2015, 07:40 PM   #25
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAGO
I am in agreement with the Lee dies, their lock rings will drive you crazy at first, but after you learn how to use them properly, they work well. now I prefer them.
Can you explain? Why would I want Lee lock rings over any other type?

Just for added info, I like locking lock rings that lock to the die body because then the adjustment is remembered and no further adjustment is required.