The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 19, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
gundoc1

mauser sporter help

I have this Mauser sporter in 30-06 was my dads hhunting rifle at one time it had a 3x9 scope on it ,it has since gone away. I am looking for a scope that fits the weaver side mount and rings it already has on it , no I aint drillin more holes in it for top mounts too damn high my friend has a set up like that and its uncomfortable as hell. I tried a bushnell 4x40 and the lense bell lays on the barrel so it obviously must be smaller than a 40 mm, I also tried a weaver V-4.5 variable and it is too short?? the bolt gets into it with the occular bell and the lo mount safety dont like it either. what should I do?? here are some pics at photobucket for reference. thanks in advance Dave.

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/courierdubois/
Old October 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I did a quick check and all the variables I see have objective lenses at least 40mm. If you are willing to settle for a fixed power, you should have no problem.

You also might check with a local gun shop or write the major scope makers for their catalogs.

Jim
Old October 21, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
natman

It's unfortunate that that mount was chosen rather than top mounts, but since it's been done I wouldn't change it either. Try one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/614...-reticle-matte

It's a rather short scope, so you make sure it's possible to mount it with proper eye relief. Otherwise, it's an excellent scope and the magnification range is ideal for all around hunting. The 2x is great for brush and woods and if a deer is too far away to hit with 7x, it's too far away, period.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:10 AM   #4
hooligan1

Ditto what Natman said,that's the scope I would try also.
Old October 23, 2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Scorch

It looks like that rifle was set up for a rather longish scope like the old Weavers or Redfields from the late 60s-early 70s. With the ring spacing you have on that side mount, you will need a long scope if you want to use the same mounts. Or you may be able to find a different ring setup that will hold a horter scope far enough back to be usable.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:51 PM   #6
tahoe2

saw one of those long weavers on ebay about a week ago. don't remember if it was a variable or not.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:06 AM   #7
michaelcj

A Leupold 1.5X5 with a 20mm objective would be a possible choice and would "look" great on that rifle. Very happy with mine.
MJ