The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 12:15 PM   #26
NJmike

Glad your havin good luck with your P290rs. I'm still up in the air with my choice but I'm leaning toward the 290. Thanks for sharing.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:18 PM   #27
TheNocturnus

The Sig P290 is at the top of my list. I need to go and get the feel of some of these. In the next couple of weeks I should have a replacement... hopefully.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 29, 2013, 12:27 PM   #28
NJmike

Yep very true. You can read all the forums for information but until you actually hold the different weapons, you won't fully know what's what. Also I know it was not mentioned but I bought a Springfield XDS .45. I have about 200 rounds through it so far. Great little powerhouse.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:34 PM   #29
RedBowTies88

The 2 guns that I carry I paid less for $500 combined. Both are extremely reliable and military surplus

one Is from 1952 and the other 1976
Old January 29, 2013, 12:36 PM   #30
OEF-Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNocturnus View Post
Yes I have certainly learned my lesson. I am more embarrassed about this than anything. I could have chosen not to share this and save myself some ridicule but with all the new shooters out there maybe they can learn from my mistake.
And that's what it's all about. Thanks for sharing brother and Godspeed.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Old January 29, 2013, 12:45 PM   #31
915A

Quote:
Glad your havin good luck with your P290rs. I'm still up in the air with my choice but I'm leaning toward the 290. Thanks for sharing.
Anytime, Im gonna post more feedback after we shoot Thursday.

Quote:
The Sig P290 is at the top of my list
It's a great feeling and shooting pistol. Definitely worth a look.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:31 PM   #32
certified106

I have a Kahr CM9 and it is my go to carry gun! The trigger has the best feel of any DAO trigger I have ever pulled. I know some people complain about the Kahrs but i have yet to have a malfunction in the 800 rounds i have put through it. Just as a reference I have and still do carry a Bersa 380, LCP380, Springfield XD40, and S&W model 36.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 29, 2013, 03:19 PM   #33
Sheriff Gotcha

Is Kel-Tec really a "cheap" brand though? I mean do they feel like poorly made handguns? That's what I would consider "cheap". I've never held one so I don't know, which is why I ask.

I mean there are Hi-Point pistols out there that I am sure have lasted through more than 5k rounds. Those are at the bottom of the barrel as far as "cheap" guns goes right?

I don't think it was a "cheap" gun problem, but more so a bad owner problem. Not you, but the owner before you who more than likely could of sent it back to Kel-Tec for them to fix it and that more than likely would of fixed the problem with the "cheap" gun.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:19 PM   #34
TheNocturnus

The Kahr or the Glock 26/27 are next on my list after the sig. My primary carry is my G30 and the 26/27 are just a tad bit smaller than the G30.

Does anyone know if the Glock 27 gen 3 has the same dual recoil spring as the Gen 4 Glock 27?

Edit: @Sheriff Gotcha

Yeah the Kel Tecs feel like bargain guns but they are not all bad pistols. I am not trying to bash any brand in this thread. I am just simply stating that I am no longer going to look for bargain or "cheap" pistols.

I could have gotten that Kel Tec to function properly with a good fluff and buff or sent it back to Kel Tec. Even then I still would not trust it.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:46 PM   #35
Sheriff Gotcha

Fair enough. Thanks for the education.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:12 PM   #36
bustersmaster

As far as some extremely high number of rounds through a carry gun before having confidence with it, I suppose it's possible to put so many rounds through it, that something eventually wears out.
Is it possible that the 1k and first round will be the one that "breaks the camel's back"? How would a person know when enough was too much?
Lots of good suggestions in this thread, but even a high quality carry gun can fail at any time.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:36 PM   #37
pat701

I live by "buy once buy right"
Old January 29, 2013, 10:05 PM   #38
LockedBreech

Ruger gets a lot of grief for copying Kel-Tec on the LCP and LC9, but I'll take the Ruger copy any day. Kel-Tec is an innovative company, but in my opinion they don't build 'em well. An extra $50-100 gets the much better polish and function of the Ruger.

My LCP is at about 1,100 rounds with two failures - one a clear limp wristing and the other me running the gun filthy to see how much it would take. As it turns out, it took a lot before that case stuck.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:19 PM   #39
johnwilliamson062

400 rounds before I carry it for me. Takes that to get at all used to the ergonomics. The last 200 rounds better be problem free.

Sheriff, I would say the keltec is an ergonomic decent design with limited material quality.

The Hi-point is a cheap design with inexpensive materials no looks or ergonomics considered in its design.

I would be confident in both off the line as much as any other brand. I wouldn't try to put 10,000 rounds a year through them like a competition gun or even my ruger 22s.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:56 PM   #40
Dashunde

Well, it wasnt an ideal revelation, but at least you had the first round... better than nothng I suppose.

Shoot a CM9 if you can. Great trigger and its recoil isnt harsh at all.
(You can try my PM9 if your in the STL area)
Old January 29, 2013, 11:58 PM   #41
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Well, it wasnt an ideal revelation, but at least you had the first round... better than nothng I suppose.

Shoot a CM9 if you can. Great trigger and its recoil isnt harsh at all.
(You can try my PM9 if your in the STL area)
True I did have the first round. In a SD shooting i'd have to go for a head shot I guess. I plan on looking at the CM9 as well as a few others in the next week or so. Providing I can find them anyway. I'm on the other side of the state but I do appreciate the offer. I'm just south of Kansas City, Mo.

There is a neat little gun store about 45 minutes away from me that has seemingly been unaffected by the panic, well except for ammo. I hope to find the guns I want to look at there.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:07 AM   #42
Hairbag

Kahr PM9 K9 CW9 s&w shield XDS PPS all good carry guns
Old January 30, 2013, 08:54 AM   #43
mjblucci

I had a citadel 45

I had a citadel 1911 in .45, took it to the range and it jammed up in the first mag. But that was right after I bought it. I took it home, took it apart and cleaned the heck out of it. After that, I never had a problem unless someone limp wristed it or when I used mags that didn't fit the beveled mag well properly. It behaved just like any $1000+ .45 would. It fed most ammo flawlessly. I sold it for a cm9 and when I took the thing shooting I was lucky to hit the target at ten yards. ( I'm not great with double action only semi's) I'd trust that $500 citadel over the compact carryable cm9 any day just for that reason, being able to conceal easier is something I'd give up for one that I can always put rounds on target with.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:41 AM   #44
Pyzon

Quote:
"accepted 500 rounds"?

And what almighty god came up with that standard?

Personally 200 rounds without a hickup is fine with me..but I only carry guns with good track records.
Uh......I guess that means we agree that stuffing a gun in your pocket with maybe no ammo down the barrel is a bad idea, right ?

500, or 200, is way better than what the OP mentioned as his enlightenment.

And nothing makes me feel like my pistol has a good track record like a bunch of ammo down the tube.....Say, maybe 500.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:24 PM   #45
okie2

cheap pistols

Before SLICK WILLY stopped all guns from China I bought a new norinco tokarev
9mm for a grand total of $79.00. It has never jammed or misfired one time.
It is my carry weapon and trust my life with it. Just loaded 500 rounds for it last week.
Old February 1, 2013, 09:49 PM   #46
TheNocturnus

Should be going to look for a bug very soon. I called a shop in town and they do have a few Sig P290's in stock. Can't wait to look at them.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:38 AM   #47
Z400ACDC

I guess I got a good one. My p3at runs great. Should I get rid of it?
Old February 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #48
HKGuns

Funny, but I consider gLoCk and Ruger to be on the cheap side as well.

My Keltec P32 has been utterly reliable. How does a sample of one damn any brand?
Old February 2, 2013, 05:45 PM   #49
1hogfan83

I bought a M&P compact 9MM for my wife and took it too the range, out of 50 rounds of Remington ammo almost every round was every one was a FTF, FTE, or a light primer strike. It went to Smith & Wesson the next Monday. I know that it wasn't a super high priced gun but still. Thank God they have a life time warranty on their guns. I put some golden sabers in it too and it did a little better but not by much. To bad I don't get a ammo refund.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 2, 2013, 05:58 PM   #50
MLeake

Did you try any oher ammo? You may have had a bad box of Remington.