The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Rjeezie

Truck Safe

Not sure if this is the right section...

I just bought a truck (F150 4x4 Lariat) and was wondering if anybody has installed a "safe" for a handgun (I have a Walther PPS). I've seen a few before where you could take out the factory console and install a safe there, or even a spring loaded one that is bolted between the seat and console. Unfortunately, I don't know any of the names of these, or not sure if they are any good. Just looking for some thoughts on keeping your gun nice and safe/secure in a truck.
Old November 3, 2011, 10:15 AM   #2
ScotchMan

I suspect this might get moved to the gear forum.

I have a small "GunVault" brand lockbox with a steel cable that wraps around my seat. The safe itself gets shoved under my seat. It cost $19.99 at Gander Mountain, so it can probably be had for $10 online. I could probably get it open with a pocketknife if I wanted to, but I don't leave guns in the car unattended for long periods of time, and it is hidden as well.

I have seen some custom gloveboxes or center console boxes designed for guns, but I'm of the opinion that guns shouldn't be left in cars unless you are just running into the post office or somesuch.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 3, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3
loose_holster_dan

I have a holster mount in the console box on my avalanche. it came with a steel cable that you could run through the mount and around the back strap that would pull tight and lock with a standard padlock. that will stop a casual, unprepared thief. anyone who knows it's there could get through it with bolt cutters or a pry bar could rip the mount out of the console

to this point tho, if you are in a bad enough neighborhood that you are worried about your truck getting broken into, shouldn't you have the gun ON YOU? in my opinion, as long as it is out of sight and not enticing a would-be thief, you are pretty safe from theft in most situations.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 3, 2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Don H

Rjeezie, this thread may give you some ideas: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292503
Old November 3, 2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Rjeezie

No I'm not really in a bad enough neighborhood where people break into cars, but I just want to err on the safe side you know. And I don't plan on just leaving the gun in the car all the time, but again, it's just to be on the safe side.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Rjeezie

Quote:
Rjeezie, this thread may give you some ideas: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292503
Thanks for the thread, I'm going to look through it at home (can't pull up the pictures here at work).
Old November 3, 2011, 11:34 AM   #7
C0untZer0

What stops a thief from just unbolting the bolts from the bottom?

I was thinking that you'd need some special kind of nut on the bottom - like those special lug nuts for wheels (not sure of bolt size) but regular nuts seem to be a weak link in installing these types of safes in trucks.
Old November 3, 2011, 12:13 PM   #8
FAS1

Quote:
What stops a thief from just unbolting the bolts from the bottom?

I was thinking that you'd need some special kind of nut on the bottom - like those special lug nuts for wheels (not sure of bolt size) but regular nuts seem to be a weak link in installing these types of safes in trucks.
All you need is lock nuts on the inside of the box and use large diameter fender washers for added strength under the floorboard and in the box if it is not made of very thick metal. Here's mine.

Here's how it works:

http://youtu.be/CcJUGuB35y8

You could sideways under a rear seat as well but this was the best place for my vehicle since I wanted to have access from the driver's seat.
Old November 3, 2011, 12:39 PM   #9
shanzlik

I have an FAS1. It's a very good product, much beefier than the vast majority of small gun safes and no need for a key or batteries. It will fit inside of many of today's larger consoles.
Old November 3, 2011, 01:35 PM   #10
Rjeezie

Quote:
I have an FAS1. It's a very good product, much beefier than the vast majority of small gun safes and no need for a key or batteries. It will fit inside of many of today's larger consoles.

How do you secure it in the console? Same way as the floor?
Old November 3, 2011, 06:54 PM   #11
shanzlik

Yep, bolts through the console and floor. I like it in the console so it isn't visible unless the console is open.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:34 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Moved to correct forum.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:12 PM   #13
C0untZer0

So the bolt comes up from the bottom, and the lock nuts are in the inside of the safe?
Old November 4, 2011, 11:18 PM   #14
MLeake

C0untZer0, the point isn't to make an impregnable safe in the vehicle. It really can't be done on a normal person's budget. (For that matter, a top-end gun safe in your house isn't impregnable, if the thief has cutting tools, skill, and time.)

The "time" thing is the critical bit.

A thief can break into my console vault, but he probably can't do it rapidly, and he probably can't do it inconspicuously. He will look like he is breaking into something, and it will take him long enough that people are likely to notice.

That's the deterrent value.