The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 16, 2008, 09:04 PM   #1
gpboy57

replacing stock on marlin 336r rifle

my father inlaw has an old marlin 336r rifle that has a broken stock-looking around on the internet i found a replacement stock at midway for the marlin 336 rifles- my question is will this new replacent stock fit his old rifle,it needs a tang screw also that i also found at midway,i realize that the parts may have to be hand fitted,any help appreciated
Old November 16, 2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Tom2

Well how bad is the stock break and where is it at? If it were a new, clean break, some guys can repair the original stock with hardly any visible traces. For that Marlin you may be investing alot of money to get a new stock and having to fit it or someone else do it. In comparision to the value of the run of the mill 336 that is. So I guess you might want to try doing it yourself. Hopefully any replacement stock has a little extra wood versus being a sloppy fit.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
gpboy57

replacing stock on marlin 336r rifle

one side of the stock where it slides into the tang and is held in place by the tang screw is completly broke off, the stocks at midway are already finnished so you wont have to do that, i think i can slide it on to the tang and run the screw thru the stock and tighten it,the rifle has sentimental value so i would like to try fix it.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4
kraigwy

Instead of ordering on the internet, call midway, give them the model number, year of make (if known) and serial number, they will make sure you get the right stock.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071