The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1
ctorke

Barrel length?

Does barrel length make a huge difference when reloading? I have a Ar 15 with a 16" bull barrel. 1X9 twist. I am trying to figure out the perfect load, but I was wondering if I should be using a faster burning powder since it is a shorter barrel??? does this make any sense??
Old March 13, 2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Bullet94

I believe barrel length in a AR has more to do with bullet speed. If you listed the powder and bullets your shooting this could help someone to recommend a powder for accuracy. You might look here for lots of info and Sierra’s loading data which lists accuracy loads for different weight bullets -

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Old March 14, 2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

About the only difference the use of a faster-burning powder would make in a short barrel is the amount of muzzle flash.

Generally, barrel length affects velocity, but not group size. Longer barrel = faster bullet. The longer barrel allows one to take advantage of the pressure curve with slower-burning powders, that extra micro-second of acceleration given to the bullet.
Old March 14, 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
scsov509

Quote:
I was wondering if I should be using a faster burning powder since it is a shorter barrel??? does this make any sense??
You make perfect sense, but I think that guideline applies more to pistol length barrels than rifle length. I some of my pistols for example I've had problems blowing unburnt powder out the bore with some of the really slow burners, so that I either use a hotter primer of switch to a faster powder to get better results. I don't think you're going to see this all that much with rifles however.
Old March 14, 2008, 02:27 PM   #5
BAGTIC

The rule is that the loads that give the highest velocities in long barrels also give the highest velocities in shorter barrels.