The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Delynn

Need Help with 300 win mag Sendero loads

Just got the 300 Win Mag Sendero this past summer. Stock rifle and score with a drop compensator in the scope. Trigger has been adjusted to 3 pounds and will be 2 pounds soon. Have been shooting (250 rounds so far) Hornady 180gr sst bullets and do ok. I like to target shoot 400 to 1000 yards. And feel good the shoot deer out to 500. Shot an 8 inch 6 shot group at 700 yards a few days ago. Conditions were pretty good that day. I want to do better. All the advice is to reload for better groups. I have just talked to someone who is going to help me get started reloading. But, he never shoot over 400 yards and shoots a 25-06 100 grain bullet. I think his advice is good, but would like some more opinions from people with experience with longer ranges, bigger rifles, and heavier bullets. I have ordered Hodgdon H1000 powder, Winchester large rifle mag primers, Berger 185gr. vld bullets, Nosler 180gr spitzer ballistic tip bullets, Sierra gameking 180 sbt bullets. I like to target shoot but like to hunt more. So, I want to target shoot with my hunting loads right now. When I get to were I want to be, I will look for a great target load. Has anyone got any experience with the Sendero rifle in 300 mag. What is your choice of hunting bullets, powder, etc. What kind of groups at 400 plus yards. I know all rifles are different but I am just getting advice on a factory 300 Win. Mag. Any and all help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old February 9, 2007, 12:39 PM   #2
zeisloft

Funny you should ask. I shoot the same rifle, and a buddy of mine just picked one up a few days ago. We are currently developing a load for hunting/target up to 600yds. I agree with your powder choice. H1000 has served me well. A strong caution on hunting at these extended distances. I am sure someone will chime in shortly to explain the ethics of wounding game and the like in extended range shooting scenarios. However, if you are dedicated, and practice (a lot) this becomes a mute point. You just need to know your limitations in the field and push your limits at the range. There is a huge difference between 300 and 600, it is not just as simple as linear math.

To answer your questions, the Berger and SMKs are excellent choices for target bullets, I tend to gravitate to the Sierras as in my opinion they are the most accurate in their price range. I have shot the Berger VLD bullets and they are excellent but more pricey. Your friend probably has more knowledge on the subject than you at the moment, but obviously I can’t speak to the depth of that knowledge. And it will be difficult for you to gauge till you have done some reading on your own.

I too like hunting more than target shooting, but figure I probably shoot between 750 and 1,000 bullets at a target for every 1 run through a deer. Perfect practice is paramount. You will need to invest a lot of time behind the trigger before you work up to taking that 500+yd deer shot. Just my $.02 on the ethics rant. If you would like to discuss load data, PM me and I will provide my phone # and gladly share data I have accumulated over the years.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old February 9, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Delynn

Yea, I have limited my shoots to 500 yards and less on deer. In fact, my longest shot this year on a deer is only 416 yards. Over 500 yards is the point that I do not feel absolutely confident in my shot. I shoot a ton of deer in the 200 to 300 yard range every year and my set up now has made that very ethical and rather easy for that matter. We shoot with deer depredation permits so I shot more hunting shots than most people. Around 50 deer a year. I do shot often with many rifles but most practice with other rifles are 100 to 200 yards. This rifle has made me want to push myself and rifle. Got to shoot out to 1015 yards here awhile back and that was a lot of fun. Boy would I love to get behind a 50 for a few shoots at 2000 yards. I am just tring to get a little more out of myself and my rifle. I will definitely give you a call and pick your brain on what is working for you and your advice. Thanks a ton for your help. Any more advice from anyone? Keep it coming.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Delynn

Zeisloft Will you send me your load data

I will be loading some bullets this week. I would love to try the load data that you have settled on for your rifle. I hope to get to burn 100 rounds this weekend. Maybe I will get lucky and find that load that my rifle really likes. I have been told to make 5 - 20 rounds per load. Some say to just shoot 5 and other say I need to try at least 20 before I right it off. What do you or any else think. I have alway shot 5. If I have one flyer than I will shoot more of that load. If I have a poor group that is all over that place I just right that one off. THANKS For the help