The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 12, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Edmond

Manurhin MR 73

These beautiful revolvers are not well known in US.

Here are a 6" MR 73 made by Manurhin in the 70's and a 5 1/4" made by Matra Manurhin Defense in the 80's. Now they are made by Chapuis.

I am modifying them to use 38 Super Auto or 38 Super Comp rimless.

Old June 12, 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Webleymkv

What are they currently chambered for? I thought that the MR-73 was chambered in .357 Magnum, if that's the case then you may find the accuracy to be rather lackluster with .38 Super as it typically uses .355-.356 bullets wheras the .38 Special and .357 Magnum use .357-.358 bullets so unless the barrel is to be replaced you'll be shooting undersize bullets. Other than perhaps the ability to use moonclips, I don't really see the point in converting the revolver as .357 Magnum can be had more powerful and less expensive than .38 Super. If the moonclip thing is what you're after, why not simply have the face of the cylinder machined to accept .357 Magnums with moonclips? This is a common modification on S&W and Ruger Revolvers.
Old June 12, 2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Tom2

I believe they were considered a quite high quality revolver here, but apparently limited distribution and high prices may have deterred greater sales volume. Plus the availability of quite a few good quality revolvers in the US and the Colt Python, also considered a very high quality revolver. However Python has some weaknesses in the possible problems of needing re-tuning after extended usage with powerful ammo loads, and currently, a scarcity of experts to work on that model. And it is out of production causing inflated prices for used ones.
Old June 13, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Horseless Trooper

The MR73 is on top of my dream gun list. I just wish there was a U.S. distributer. I wouldn't mind a 3in. MR88 either.
Old June 13, 2008, 12:22 PM   #5
plom

well, the MR 88 is a fine revolver, it was made under Ruger license for the french police,untill recently when the french police switched for the SIG 2022.
The MR 88, is fine but not as good as the MR 73. The MR 73 in 357 mag is still issued to the french GIGN (anti terror unit) and they use them as primary handgun, considering that the punch of a 357 mag is more suited to stop a threat than a 9 mm (they do carry a glock as secondary handgun).
For info, GIGN operators consistantly shoot head shots at 50 meters under training with their MR 73
Old June 13, 2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Casimer

Edmond what is your opinion of the current Chapuis Armes Manurhins?

I had considered importing a MR-73 Match in 38spl through Australia but was warned about quality problems and so never purchased one. It's my understanding that these no longer meet the standards of the earlier Matra built revolvers.
Old June 13, 2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I got all caught up in the Old World Mystique and bought a MR73 from AIM Surplus that they represented as having been traded in by Vienna SWAT. Lot of holster wear and endshake. Some cold blue made the front sight show up and it took S&W endshake shims. I read that they are extra strong and extra accurate but in my hands it has nothing over a US make revolver.
Old June 13, 2008, 09:26 PM   #8
wdelack

I picked up this pair of Manurhin F1 revolvers from a local gun shop last year. These predated the MR88, and were produced under the license with Ruger.

Old June 14, 2008, 04:10 AM   #9
plom

nice pair of revolver wdelack, if you want an original holster for your revolver from the french police let me know I'll fix that for you
Old June 14, 2008, 05:11 AM   #10
Edmond

"What are they currently chambered for? I thought that the MR-73 was chambered in .357 Magnum, if that's the case then you may find the accuracy to be rather lackluster with .38 Super as it typically uses .355-.356 bullets wheras the .38 Special and .357 Magnum use .357-.358 bullets so unless the barrel is to be replaced you'll be shooting undersize bullets. Other than perhaps the ability to use moonclips, I don't really see the point in converting the revolver as .357 Magnum can be had more powerful and less expensive than .38 Super. If the moonclip thing is what you're after, why not simply have the face of the cylinder machined to accept .357 Magnums with moonclips? This is a common modification on S&W and Ruger Revolvers."

They are originally chambered for .357 Magnum but a spare cylinder had been made in 9x19mm. For this reason the first MR 73 until 1983 had a .354 barrel.
then it became a .356 barrel.

I have made many tests with various revolvers using modified cylinders ( Ruger SP 101, SW 60, RMR Ruger Manurhin F1, SW 586, Diamondback) or original 9 mm cylinders when they existed (Ruger Speed Six, SW 940, Manurhin) and found out that usually accuracy is good. Bullet expansion under the gasses pressures is enough to alleviate even a difference in diameter.

I found similar results when I developped two ammunitions for a French Ministry of Interior service. I used a complete equipment in a tunnel to test many loads using .308 to .311 bullets in a Soviet SVD, a Russian MN 1891 and a Romanian PSL. All parameters were analysed, speed, pressure, accuracy, repeatability of results, wear and tear.

I obtained CIP agreement for two cartridges in 7,62 x 51 and 7.62 x 54 R.

I find .357 Magnum is an overkill for my use.

I always had a revolver and a pistol in same caliber, I did start this trend in 1980 when I had a Colt Governement and a Colt Python in 38 Super , I later had a SIG and a Manurhin in 9mm and finally a SW 610 Classic revolver, a Bren Ten , a Colt Delta Elite, a Colt Delta Gold Cup and two Glock pistols 21 and 29 in 10 mm.

I am preparing a MR 73 and a high capacity pistol in 38 Super Comp (rimless 38 Super)
Old June 14, 2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Edmond

"Edmond what is your opinion of the current Chapuis Armes Manurhins?

I had considered importing a MR-73 Match in 38spl through Australia but was warned about quality problems and so never purchased one. It's my understanding that these no longer meet the standards of the earlier Matra built revolvers."

It may have been true for a very short when the production moved to Chapuis but those I had in hand are up to the reputation of both Manurhin and Chapuis.
Chapuis is not Ruger, Colt or Smith & Wesson. Sorry, I call a spade a spade.

PS: I absolutely don't dislike US made handguns, see my favorites below
Old June 14, 2008, 05:16 AM   #12
Edmond

Old June 14, 2008, 05:28 AM   #13
Edmond

"well, the MR 88 is a fine revolver, it was made under Ruger license for the french police,untill recently when the french police switched for the SIG 2022."

More precisely, the MR 88 or Manurhin F 1 evolved from the RMR, Ruger Manurhin. Nothing was made under license, it was a mix of Ruger and Manurhin. Manurhin first received parts from Ruger and then wanted to make these Ruger parts in France. that's when they parted.

Ruger had some other weapons built in France or even designed in France. the select fire AC 556 is the French AMD 5.56 ( AMD means Armement Moyens de Defense, a French National Police Armament service)
The Ranch 222 was partly built in Saint Etienne as well.
Old June 14, 2008, 07:34 AM   #14
plom

I tough they were made under license, but anyway, the MR 88 is nothing else than a Ruger copy, and the AMD a copy of the Mini 14... made in france maybe but still copies... Ruger even issued the SP1O1 to ladies police officers or plain clothes investigators of the french police.
Tu as dévelopé des munitions pour le ministère de l'intérieur? pour quel service? sympas tes photos!
Old June 14, 2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Edmond

The AMD is not made in France, Ruger maunfactured it following French Police technical requirements. The Ruger 222 Ranch was partially made in France. The SP 101 is indeed a nice little wheelgun.
Old September 9, 2008, 01:07 AM   #16
larvatus

I just got this dual caliber, early production MR-73:

More pictures here.

I note that its action differs from Manurhins made later on, in that the hand (levier du barillet, #137) is tensioned by a self-mounted spring (ressort du levier du barillet, #138):

Later on, Manurhin delegated this task to a similarly named part located by the hammer axis (#159):

Edmond, can you shed any light on this changeover? Should I retrofit my revolver with the new style parts?
Old August 25, 2010, 12:49 AM   #17
Edmond

This is a 1980 Police model (fixed sights), the grip is the recent Traush rubber grip.

Old August 25, 2010, 01:00 AM   #18
Edmond

Michael,
I am sorry I did not see the retrofit question below the pictures.
You can forget this change. It had been implemented after the GIGN members had worn out some parts and springs shooting an average 200 rounds a day 5 to 7 days a week for more than two years.
Old November 8, 2013, 07:12 PM   #19
ebrem

Manurhin MR73

I am looking for a Manurhin MR73 to purchase, if anyone has one for sale please contact me.
Thank you.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Adrian

You're in luck! There's one on GunBroker right now. It's not nearly as pretty as Edmond's, but it looks like a serviceable shooter.
Matt.25:40

Tags
caracal , clips , holster , manurhin , pistol