The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Chris17404

GunVault for shotgun quick acccess

Hi all,

I'm researching shotgun storage options right now. I have an 870 that is used for home defense (18" bbl in thas mode) as well as clay shooting (28" bbl in this mode). I have found the GunVaault for a quick-access solution:

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/sto...tID~321302.htm

I figure I could mount this pretty-much anywhere in my bedroom closet, but I worry about it covering the receiver and this causing rust. Has anyone else used this before, and do you recommend it?

I like those V-Line in-wall shotgun safes too, and considering one of those, but does anyone have first-hand experience with the GunVaault for long guns? Thanks!

Chris
Old December 12, 2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Jayb

My home defense and CCW arms are never locked up. If I need it, I don't want have to unlock it before I can use it. All the rest of my firearms are locked up. And, yes I have young grandchildren in the house almost daily. They have been taught, and are no longer a concern.

Some of my rifles
Old December 12, 2005, 07:51 PM   #3
ron73644

Jayb---"Some of my rifles"

Is that all? Where's the rest of them? Just kidding...Quite a collection!!
Old December 12, 2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Jayb

Thank you sir. I need to redo some of the pics. Some of the old Mossbergs are now 100% original and complete. Many years of shooting among those rifles, and pistols....I'd have to say that the three Martini's are my favorites. Fit and finish, and function that's hard to find in a modern production rifle.

Some of my rifles
Old December 17, 2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Ricky B

Here's another solution. I have no experience with it, but it may work for you. Rust should not be problem.

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/T...erlocktech.htm

--Rick
Old December 17, 2005, 01:04 AM   #6
Ricky B

And another solution.

http://gunracks.tylerrose.com/

--Rick
Old December 17, 2005, 01:14 AM   #7
Ricky B

This would probably be my first choice for securing a shotgun in a closet without using a safe.

http://www.mossberg.com/locbox.htm

--Rick
Old December 17, 2005, 01:39 AM   #8
BillCA

+1 on the Mossberg lock.

Caveats:
The action has to be open before securing the shotgun. Doing this with a loaded shotgun can be a little tricky.

With a loaded shotgun, one has to be careful when removing the gun from the system to avoid accidentally pointing the muzzle at themselves and closing the action on a live shell.

Be sure the "hook" for the muzzle squarely hits a wall stud and is screwed deep into the stud.

For corrosion protection you can put a VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) chip in the receiver clamp with double-stick tape or similar. These are cardboard rectangles impregnated with a corrosion inhibitor that will help prevent rust.
Old December 17, 2005, 02:10 AM   #9
steve1589

Gunvault for shotgun quick access

I bought one of the tabletop models for pistols with the electronic keypad. They work pretty good till you forget the combination. I think it forgot the combination. I called the factory and got the override code and the thing still won't open. The said I might have to let the alarm go off on it till the batteries run down. Then there's to pins on the top you press a nine volt battery to and enter the override code. Think what I will do is take a prybar and rip its cheap little door off of it and get my pistols out of it. Then I'll by the biggest jar of Vasoline I can find. Then I'll put the safe and the vasoline in a box and send it back to them. They ought to able to figure out what I want them to do with it. I'm sorry about that I was getting angry. I would be more worried that the batteries would leak acid on the one they show for long guns. If you do get one hide a crowbar somewhere near it in case you forget the combination. Just my 2 cents. The ones the other guys linked you to look like the would be fine to keep kids from messing with your shotgun.
Old December 17, 2005, 02:00 PM   #10
bclark1

a shotgun is better for defense, but i've always thought if i was really scared about someone grabbing my gun i might get one of those biometric cases, that reads your fingerprint and opens, and bolt it to the wall with a handgun in it. in a panic situation i wouldn't want to have to mess with a combination, i'd want something idiot proof and as immediate as opening a drawer for access. i guess you could worry that one of those would fail somehow though... so it's up for grabs. if that's a concern stay away from all thing electronic, though.