The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2016, 09:40 PM   #26
Worc

Quote:
The SA is not as crisp and has a bit more slack than the SRT in my experience, however the reset was also more tactile than the SRT in the sampling of SDP models I held so it's pretty much preference. It still hasn't stopped me from considering the pistol on and off for a while now.
From my experience, I put them about the same for both sound and feel. The SRT has zero take up after the reset where the SDP has a little bit.

It took me a awhile to decide to buy my SDP. I handled and shot quite a few before picking one up. I think had the grip been a tad longer or the finger groove under the trigger guard would have been a little bigger, I would have got one sooner.
Old February 5, 2016, 03:37 PM   #27
WVsig

To the OP. I am a big fan of the current production Sphinx pistols. I own a Compact and a Subcompact. If I could get my hands on one I would also own a doutone which is all stainless steel.

That said my Subcompact did have to go back to Sphinx. You can see more detail of that RMA in this thread. They replaced the barrel, slide stop, pivot and guide rod. They also replaced the rear sight which had a tool mark on it. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563792

Since its return to me the gun has been 100% and is slick. It is slicker than my compact and I carry it most days. The trigger is fantastic. It is lighter than my compact which has Cajun Gun Works springs in it. The DA pull is coming in at 8lbs 6oz avg of 5 pulls and the SA is 4lbs 6ozs again avg of 5 pulls. I really like the way they feel in the hand and the level of finishing that goes into the pistol.

There are however some draw backs to these pistols. They are a small manufacturer and have the support of a small importer. They are not Sig Sauer or FN Herstal. They are Sphinx and Kriss. The economy of scale is not there yet to have large aftermarket support because there simply is not enough demand. They have been slow to get night sights approved and into production. This is not a big deal for me but for many it seems like a deal breaker.

The other main issue that has come up is that the way the guns are manufactured they are super tight. Maybe too tight and as a result Cajun Guns works stopped working on them. They were too labor intensive and were hard on their machinery. There is a thread about it over on one of the CZ forums in the clone section. I cannot verify the truth of these statements but David has always been 100% upfront and accurate every time I have dealt with him so I have no reason to doubt him.

As others have stated I believe that production is moving into the US for many of the current models. Time will tell if the quality is the same and I would imagine the support will be better.

I think that they are great guns and worth the price of admission if you do not over pay for them. Do not pay too much and by too much I mean more than $850 for a Compact, $800 for a Subcompact.

PS there are mags available right now on Kriss' website. They just got a shipment in. http://kriss-usa.com/shop/products/sphinx/magazines
Old November 14, 2016, 01:16 AM   #28
Yellowssm

Sorry to bring back an old thread but what's the website for the 17 pound hammer spring. Someone said it was a wolf spring for CZ pistols? Thanks
Old November 14, 2016, 10:00 AM   #29
Walt Sherrill

The site: gunsprings.com

Go directly to the CZ section, and scroll down to hammer springs.

https://www.gunsprings.com/CZ/75%20S...D1/mID16/dID91

I think you'll want to try both the 16 lb. and 17 lb. springs -- although some folks have gone much lighter.

You can also get springs for the SDP directly from CAJUN GUN WORKS. Here's a link: CAJUNGUNWORKS.COM

Old November 14, 2016, 12:02 PM   #30
Yellowssm

Is it just the hammer spring to change out or are there other springs too that lighten up the DA trigger pull. Also is the cz hammer spring for the compact model correct? I have the sdp alpha compact

Last edited by Yellowssm; November 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old November 14, 2016, 03:29 PM   #31
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Is it just the hammer spring to change out or are there other springs too that lighten up the DA trigger pull. Also is the cz hammer spring for the compact model correct? I have the sdp alpha compact
The CZ compact hammer spring is all that has to be done to greatly improve the SDP trigger pull, but CAJUN GUN WORKS offers a kit that includes other springs.

(I picked up the kit some time ago, but never installed it -- as I've been pleased with the compact hammer spring change alone, which I did BEFORE I ordered the springs from CGW. I'll probably eventually change out the other springs, too.)
Old November 15, 2016, 10:49 AM   #32
WVsig

I have run both the 17# Wolff spring and the CGWs spring kit. With the Wolff spring I had light primer strikes. The CGW has been 100%. My understanding is it will vary from gun to gun.
Old November 15, 2016, 12:27 PM   #33
Yellowssm

Just called Cajun gun works and they no longer sell the spring kit. I ordered the 16 and 17 pound cz compact hammer wolff springs. Hopefully they work and are easy to install
Old November 15, 2016, 02:36 PM   #34
Worc

The hammer spring is very easy to change out on this model.

I have the kit installed in mine. It helped a very good trigger get a little better. Still not the best DA/SA trigger out there but well above average.

My gun has several thousand rounds through it now and it's still very tight. They are well made with very tight tolerances.