The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 3, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1
chorlton

Sportsmans Warehouse?

Do these guys have all the best deals? I'm looking in the Austin, TX area, and found what I thought were pretty good prices...but I'm looking for my first gun(s) so I'm not sure I'm looking in all the right places....
Old March 3, 2005, 01:42 PM   #2
MCIWS

I just moved from Austin, Texas. I now live in the great state of Colorado. Sportsman’s Warehouse seems to be a popular store up here. I never saw one in Austin. Anyway, I have found that they have the best deals on new firearms in my area. I asked one of the workers how they are so much cheaper and he said, “Well, we are a warehouse.” The firearms themselves appear to be kept very nice and clean, or at least at the one near me. I have not bought from them YET, but I also haven’t found a reason not to. By the way, where is the one in Austin located?
Old March 3, 2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Erich

Great prices, staff generally not so knowledgeable. If you know what you want, by all means shop at SW. If you're relying on the counter staff to give you an educated push in some direction, don't bet on them.
Old March 3, 2005, 06:58 PM   #4
chorlton

I'm relying on you guys for the advice
The "austin" store is in Round Rock. I went to another popular gun store and they wanted to sell me a model 60 (s&w) for $489 (it was a sweet 3" though), and I can get a new model 66 for $429 at sportsmans warehouse!

Last edited by chorlton; March 3, 2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old March 3, 2005, 09:49 PM   #5
tom650604

Yes, they do have good prices compare to some places. The one thing I like most is the staff there don't care if you hold the gun or cock it and stuff. You can exam the gun without staff looking at you like "what are you doing".

Great place to buy a gun IMO.
Old March 4, 2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Erich

Tom, this may also be a problem. A friend of mine tells of watching a SW employee flicking the cylinder of a revolver shut like a '70s TV detective. Personally, I want the employees of a gun show to make sure the merchandise isn't abused. Which is why I'd always insist on something other than the "floor model" at SW . . . .
Old March 4, 2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Nortonics

I had a good experience with Sportsman's Warehouse up here in Minneapolis, MN (actually Blaine, MN). Bought a new Kimber Pro CDP II from them because: 1) They had virgin ones in the back room that had NEVER been touched from the factory - and 2) they matched the price of a local competitor, which brought the price down another $50 from their already very competitive price, even with the sales tax added. It was a good deal...
Old March 4, 2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Harley2k

I bought a deer rifle from them the end of last year. They had the best price I saw. I love that store! Ours in the Lewisville Texas. The only thing i don't like is they have all there hand gun banged together on hooks on the wall. Great to walk up and look at but I've seen them bang them together and when they grab one to show you they knock another off.
Old March 4, 2005, 09:55 PM   #9
rogelk

Nortonics, I just bought a Beretta 92FS Inox last week at SW in Blaine..small world. Rogelk
Old March 4, 2005, 09:59 PM   #10
DTQ

The prices seem to be good, but the employees, IMO, seem to be clerks. Some are apparently knowledgeable, but if you are not they may be of limited usefulness; in my experience they’ve even approached aloofness, disinterest and condescension. Do your homework on the net, and if possible rent to shoot before you buy. Sportsman’s Warehouse does have layaway, which is a valuable option. I agree with Erich about choosing a firearm from back stock if possible, I recently put a Walther P99 on layaway and found a unit in back stock to be far more smooth in operation to the one on display. But, I had to insist the clerk bring out the back stock for me to check, I asked three times, and am very glad I insisted.
Old March 4, 2005, 10:05 PM   #11
thelast2

Just came back from the Sportsmans Warehouse here in Anchorage they do have some descent prices on most everything and the selection is pretty good to. But as others have said the staff isnt always the most knowledable. I was at the gun counter wanted to look at springfield armorys XD9 V10 the ones with the porting. So I ask this guy if he has any and he gives me this look like what the hell am I talking about, so I just said thanks and walked away.
Old March 5, 2005, 12:04 AM   #12
Gunrnr

Reasonable prices and generally good to very good selection. The Albuquerque store opened a few months ago and several of my friends and I have noticed that they have ratcheted up their prices since the Grand Opening.

I agree that the firearms salespeople are more "clerks" than anything else and that the firearms on display are overhandled. I haven't seen the sales people abusing any weapons, but have seen customers do so and sales people say nothing. Not good -- I would insist on an untouched weapon from the back room. If they don't have one (or say that they don't) ... it's time to walk away!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] by the clean end."
http://nationalgunforum.com/index.php
Old March 9, 2005, 09:57 PM   #13
gary c coffey

I live in the mountains of western North Carolina. ( Asheville) Don't know of a SW anywhere near here .... W- NC E -Tenn N- GA or E- VA. Does anyone know where the closest store would be from here? Do they have a website/catalog?.Many thanks.
Old March 10, 2005, 06:52 PM   #14
Nortonics

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/stores.htm
Old March 18, 2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Alaskanmonte

I bought an XD9 at the Sportsman Warehouse in Anchorage (Alaska). They have some very good prices on there guns. I have been in there to buy other guns, but the last two times the employees have not been interested in helping me. Since then I've gone back to my regular gun shop and I am still very happy to pay a little bit more and GET some help and respect.
Old April 4, 2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Whess3298

The Sportsmans Warehouse in Loveland, CO has a VERY knowledgeable staff. At least in their firearms and archery departments. They almost all seem to hunt and shoot and are very knowledgeable. I've had them quote muzzle velocities, downrange energy, and even recoil ratings ((actual numbers) of several different calibers.
Old June 1, 2005, 11:34 AM   #17
chorlton

I just tried to set up a deal at SW here and the guy told me he'd only order a new one when they sold the floor model So now i need to find Austin's next best gun store...any ideas?
Old June 1, 2005, 02:51 PM   #18
priv8ter

Good Price

We got a Sportmans Warehouse here about a year ago. Their prices are very nice. Truthfully, if they have it in stock, it can't be beat.

As some others have said, they do let folks doa lot of fondling with the guns, dry firing, dropping the slide numerous times, flicking the cylinder shut...

This is great if you want to do the fondling, but I shy away from buying guns that I have seen this happening too. Some of them get just plain abused by the other customers.

As I have said in the past, most of the time, I go to Sportmans Warehouse to do some fondling, and then I pay the extra $15-25 to order a NEW gun through my local dealer.

DO I feel like I'm cheating Sportsmans's Warehouse? No...I buy enough ammo and knife's there to ease my guilt.

greg
Old August 24, 2005, 07:38 PM   #19
chorlton

Has anyone been able to cut a deal with these guys - either with cash, or just negotiation?
Old August 28, 2005, 10:17 AM   #20
applekev

The one by me in Phoenix has very good prices. I saw a SA GI 45 for $389.
Old August 30, 2005, 08:17 AM   #21
TangoTracker

Is it all about price?

The Round Rock SW store leaves a bit to be desired on the service side. I've been to other SW stores and never had a problem, but the service is not very friendly at that store.

They do have good prices without a doubt.

If you want good service and a store that will stand behind you in Austin, I'd go with McBride's. But they do NOT have the best prices.
Old September 11, 2005, 07:31 PM   #22
bpisler

I just bought a springfield XD-9
at the north phoenix store.I paid
$429.00 before tax,seems like a
good deal.A couple other places i
checked wanted $459.00 to $489.00
for the same gun.
Old September 11, 2005, 09:56 PM   #23
ozzy1038

I bought my XD-40 at SW for $418, and got the "floor model". At the time I wasn't too happy about it, but I wouldn't trade it for another! Accurate as hell and reliable to boot. I know I might get some flak for this but, given time I think the XD could take over the Glock. Anyway getting back to the point, SW has the best prices and selection in my area.
Old September 17, 2005, 08:21 AM   #24
Gunrnr

Fair's fair, so after giving my luke-warm comments about SW, several months ago, I have to report the following: I bought an electronic predator caller and some extra chips. Not quite $300.00, at the Albq SW. Took them out once and was not really impressed. I took them all back -- opened and used -- with little hope of getting a credit, much less a refund. WRONG! The clerk at the customer service counter asked me what was wrong with them and I was honest, "I just didn't like them or think they served my need", sez I... SURPRISE ... I got a full credit on my card.

Then the "gotcha"... The wife & I are walking around the store when the department manager seeks us out and hands me a $10 gift certificate "for my trouble". Heck, they didn't cause me any trouble -- I caused them trouble having to repackage the items (and I told him so)! He said he just wanted to be sure we were happy and to keep the certificate. You BETCHA!

THAT's how you keep customers! Always remember the Rule of 7 / 70!!!

The Gunrunner
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] by the clean end."
http://nationalgunforum.com/index.php
Old September 21, 2005, 09:44 AM   #25
tjhands

I like them. Good prices on guns and reloading supplies.