The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 2, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Bluestarlizzard

"Mainstream" firearm owners

I've always been seriously annoyed at the picture of the sterotypical gun owner.

I don't fit it and I tend to be insulted at the assumption that I should just because I own guns.

In the past year, the sterotype image has been used by the anti gun lobby in an effort to fool and pacify the American gun owner.
Luckily, it hasn't worked.

Anyway, I want to see how many of us actually fit the sterotype image. I doubt it will be the majority. Think of this as a mini data gathering operation to demonstraight how entirely off the anti gun lobby is.
Old June 2, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2
arizona98tj

So you don't fit their typical.....why is that?

What is the anti-gunners idea of a typical gun owner? I honestly don't know since I don't talk with them. But, for the record, I do cling to my religion and my guns. LOL!!!
Old June 2, 2013, 03:16 PM   #3
jmr40

Which sterotype are you talking about?
Old June 2, 2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Patriot86

I will admit I am a "YFWG". One day I will be an OFWG but not for another 20 something years.

I think you have an ever increasing number of younger "gun people" its just a matter of time and economics that keep many young people from being as active as the OFWGs
Old June 2, 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Bluestarlizzard

Well, there was going to be an actual poll, but I'm experancing technical difficulties (*smart* phone my butt!)

So, nevermind that.

And no, I don't fit the typical.

I'm female, agnostic, not middle aged (yet, it's getting closer then I'd like ) and I've never been hunting in my life. The vast majority of my firearms are black, have plastic furnishings and "hi" cap magizines.
Same goes for my dad, with the exception that he's also never been involved in compitetion, whereas I was in 4H and did 3P for awhile.

I don't even own a truck. I have a nice little kia spectra that I abuse mightly. Never been in the military or LE.

The question is really how many of you actually only own the anti's definition of "ok" guns?
I doubt it's many. Seems like everyone has *something* in black plastic these days.
Old June 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

This is indicative of the stereotype our opponents promote:

One of their biggest mistakes this last cycle was a failure to realize how wrong they were. Gun owners who weren't fat old hillbillies (which is to say, most of us) were very offended. However, the stereotype persists, in no small part due to our own dogmatism and insistence on aligning with one political ideology.
Old June 2, 2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Bluestarlizzard

Exactly, tom, it's the idea that we all look and act like those guys on Duck's Dynasty but we're not even funny.

And it does have traction with mainstream Americans.

My boss (whom I am very close with) asked to see a picture of the guy I'm dating. When I showed her, the comment was "Wow! He looks normal. I thought he'd look like some mountain man in camo!"

At first I thought it was funny, but then I realized it really wasn't. Because the only reason she has to think he'd look like that is because we first met up on a range date.

The assumption that we are not "normal" Americans who lead fairly average lives *is* insulting.
Old June 2, 2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestarlizzard
Anyway, I want to see how many of us actually fit the sterotype image. I doubt it will be the majority. Think of this as a mini data gathering operation to demonstraight how entirely off the anti gun lobby is.
So what would you like to know about me/us?
Old June 2, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Bluestarlizzard

Gender.
Age (approxamate)
Race.
Types of firearms owned and for what purposes (just a general overview, nobody has to be specific)

And then whatever else you feel or think does or doesn't fit the sterotype.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm a 44 year old white male living in the South, with a waistline that keeps trying to expand, despite my best efforts. In those matters, I do kind of fit the stereotype. I suspect that I differ fairly markedly in that I'm relatively well-educated, speak without a noticeable Southern drawl, and I bathe with some regularity.

Last edited by Spats McGee; June 2, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Oops! I forgot my age . . .
Old June 2, 2013, 04:50 PM   #11
KMAX

I started shooting when I was 7 or 8 years old. I am a 56 year old white male, slightly overweight, conservative political and social views, proudly and honorably served in the military, believe in God, family, and my right to be as self sufficient as possible. I feel that I have the right to defend myself, family, neighbors, and property. I hate rap or hip hop music, but know how to turn it off. Do not agree with certain lifestyles that differ from my own, but know how to live and let live. I suppose that these characteristics make me fit the stereotype and maybe a "bad" person, but so be it. Out of stereotype, I am not a drinker, rarely wear camo, am college educated (not to be determined by my grammar), bathe at least daily, drive a pickup truck only out of necessity (would prefer a car), have been faithfully married to my first wife for 27 years, and have never had a romance with a relative or animal.

I haven't hunted in thirty years. I have guns for home defense, self defense, and just pure pleasure at the range.

As I said, I can live and let live. I sure wish the anti-gun nuts would learn to do the same.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; June 2, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:23 PM   #12
BigTex308

Re: "Mainstream" firearm owners

22 white male.

ARs, semi auto pistols, wheel guns, pump shotguns, side by side shotguns, bolt shotguns, bolt rifles, lever rifles, 22 rifles, polymer pistols, 1911s, pretty much a little of everything.

I'm an enthusiast, collector, and involved in the industry on the side.

I own guns for hunting, competition, self defense, home defense, and just because I like them.

Ike
Old June 2, 2013, 05:26 PM   #13
GJSchulze

I'm 62, male, atheist, dog lover, Libertarian, engineer by education, but spent the last 20 years in IT, but now retired I've been shooting handguns for almost three years; my wife of 25 years got me into shooting, although she mostly shoots sporting clays. I've noticed that quite a few of the other shooters I see also work in IT, which I find interesting.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Osuvet85

54 year old male, white guy. In decent shape, married 26 years, two professional degrees, absolutely proud of my eastern Oklahoma roots. Guns -Have them for fun and self defense. I don't hunt but don't care if you do, just do it safely and respectfully. I respect your right to live as you see fit as long as it does no harm to society and request the same from you.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestarlizzard
Gender.
Male

Quote:
Age (approxamate)
Senior citizen (approximately)

Quote:
Race.
Caucasian

Quote:
Types of firearms owned and for what purposes (just a general overview, nobody has to be specific)
.22 rifle, revolver, and semi-auto pistol -- used for plinking, and for instruction (I'm an NRA instructor)

Centerfire revolvers and semi-autos -- used for plinking and self/home defense.

"Cowboy" single action revolver -- nostalgia

Military surplus WW2-era rifles -- nostalgia, history

AR-15 -- home defense (it's what I carried in Vietnam, if it was good enough there, it's good enough here)

Other info: College and post-graduate education, masters degree, multiple professional registrations, published author (technical, non-fiction), editor. Member, former officer and former Director of several professional organizations. I don't cling to guns and religion -- guns and religion cling to me.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:23 PM   #16
arizona98tj

I'm white and pushing up on 60 and will retire in less than 5 years. I write software at the largest nuclear powered generating station in the US. I'm a Navy vet of 8 years. I grew up hunting and fishing in Minnesota, which is where me and my awesome wife will retire on 80 acres of beautiful woods, meadows, and a hay field. If all goes well, I'll die at a ripe old age either sitting on a deer stand or fishing from a boat. Either way is OK with me.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:26 PM   #17
SIGSHR

63 years old, white male, Protestant, Army veteran, retired Reserve officer, college educated, MBA, white collar. Not a hunter. A collector. Interests range from blackpowder to the present. Endowment member NRA, Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man. Don't care for aluminum, polymer of anything other than steel frames and receivers-(OK, brass is acceptable for a CW revolver. Being a good Union man, I can claim it's a war trophy). Believe any attack on any aspect of the RKBA or any attack on any aspect of the shooting sports or on any group of shooters is an attack on me.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:01 PM   #18
psyfly

Stereotypes:

Fit:
Late 60s heterosexual caucasian male with a weight problem,

Independent politics with tendency toward conservative/libertarian ideas,

Dislike corrupt and inefficient government at all levels and pretty much disgusted with the federal elite who seem to be mostly running the changes now,

Began shooting at age 8,

Member of NRA and State Rifle association,

RKBA activist; it's a civil right, for goodness sake,

Self-defense possibly as important as collecting,

Krav-Maga student and studying to be an instructor (more self-defense focus),

Don't fit:
Med school drop-out (my choice) to earn PhD in Neuroscience/Neuropsychology, private consulting practice for many years,

Never been in the military, but have great respect for the on-the-ground participant, not so much for the pentagon political types,

Don't hunt for sport (predator and varmint control only now),

My single Evil Black Rifle is EBR by accident, it's a Mini-14 I traded into,

Don't own any ARs or AKs,

Neutral:
I'm a collector and shoot only for my own amusement/animal control now,

Love both handguns and long guns, Difficult to tell if I like .22 better than .44, it's a toss-up between the two.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:37 PM   #19
arch308

I'm almost 60, white male. Auto tech, agnostic, fairly conservative. Hate big govt., NRA & TSRA member. Own various guns for hunting, self defence, and just plain fun.

Edit to add: I am a college grad, drive either my Volvo 960 or Z71 pickup if I'm not riding one of my two Harleys. Single and looking( they just don't make 'em like Mom anymore) and love to play golf. I'm 160 lbs with no beard and only wear camo when hunting.

Last edited by arch308; June 3, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Fishing_Cabin

I don't typically fit the "mainstream" either... Folks constantly remind me of how they think I view issues...

Im getting close to 40, single by choice, male, work in law enforcement and also ran/owned 2 small business over the years as well. Drive an old pickup (again my choice to save the money) live in the country (I like to fish/hike) Im very much pro-firearm ownership, and want to remove several restrictions already in place. Not the party-guy either. I also purchased my tiny place cash, and prefer it to the McMansions several friends and family have. I have traveled to Europe many times (being single its fairly cheap ), enjoy the arts, especially live theatre. I prefer Carling to Budweiser, also prefer Nemiroff Vodka as well. Im also the only one in my family to not be a member of any country club, or other similar clubs. So yeah, I am unique.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; June 2, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:10 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

I'm a liberal-arts guy. My views don't really fit neatly in anyone's political checklists, which often causes some friction with doctrinaires. I also tire of the stereotypical glue factory jokes.

Old June 2, 2013, 08:13 PM   #22
Koda94

Quote:
I've always been seriously annoyed at the picture of the sterotypical gun owner.

I don't fit it and I tend to be insulted at the assumption that I should just because I own guns.
I do feel the sentiment of the OP. I live in a mostly anti gun city, I've been accused of being "part of the problem" when friends find out I'm a gun owner or have a CHL (many folks are really extreme here...) and many years ago when I was single and had roommates I almost had to move out when found out I had a CHL and was actually prohibited from bringing a gun into the house (I moved out eventually over this, in part...). Whats interesting, is I've never stereotyped in defense or passed judgement on anyone even an anti gunner I was friendly to all but in reality I've met many antis that I should stereotype as complete....

sorry, I drifted... end of rant.

Quote:
About me: Male, 42, agnostic if I must... I think I fit somewhere between a good ol boy and a city boy. I grew up and live in the suburbs, have a CHL and carry sometimes only on the weekends (cause I work in a "gun free zone" during the week), go deer hunting in the fall, hiking and backpacking, fishing and mountain-biking in the summer and overall really love the great outdoors then can turn around and enjoy a fine night on the town from the performing arts to cheezy nightclubs. About my guns, it shouldn't make a difference cause nobody ever sees them. Whats really interesting is over the years in my inner circle of friends to find out that one also has a CHL and at least 3 are very pro 2A.... I don't think you could sterotype any of them as fat AR toting hillbilly wallmart commandos if that's what the sterotype is.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:29 PM   #23
TommyP

Well, this is how I represent "mainstream" gun owners:

30 year old white male. Atheist. Dates often, but no long term girlfriend right now. Have 3 nieces that I spoil rotten. Goes to the gym every day and keeps a healthy diet.

I listen to hard rock and hip hop, and I also enjoy Beethoven's symphonies and tune in to Hearts of Space every week.

College educated, and have been working full time in the Retail world since I was 18. Currently an Assistant Store Director for a large grocery chain in Texas. I work about 55 hours a week....I'm a yuppie that gets his hands dirty.

During Hurricanes Rita and Ike, I was working 80 hour work weeks to keep my store functioning so that the community was able to come in and shop their essential needs......I'm paid on salary, so there was no overtime; I did it for my customers/neighbors.

I mentor employees who want to move up into leadership positions, and have helped several earn their way from $10/hour into a $50k a year salary. I solve problems for my customers and make sure that they leave happy. I make people my first priority every single day, whether they are customers or employees.

I volunteer at the Houston Food Bank and give $15 out of every paycheck to the United Way. I donate busted bags of pet food to the Houston Humane Society and personal care items to various Women's Shelters in my community. For Thanksgiving I volunteer at an event that feeds thousands of homeless people in my area.

I go hog hunting (aka "pest control") at my uncle's place, otherwise I just go target shooting with pistols about once a month. I own many guns, most of which I inherited from my dad after he passed away. My favorite right now is my Mossberg Maverick 12ga.....I'm working on becoming more proficient with shotguns.

When I go shooting, it's with about a dozen friends from work. Ages range from mid-20s to mid-40s, consists of women and men from multiple ethnic cultures, and includes two homosexual couples that we're friends with. I must admit that I'm the least accurate shooter in this crew.

I like to drink Tito's brand vodka and orange juice when I go to clubs on weekends with my friends. I go on vacation to Las Vegas for one week every year. My favorite tv show is True Blood.

I also have two cats and drive a black Chrysler 300.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:05 PM   #24
Departed402

I assumed the anti-gunners think we look like their actor from the Mayors Against Illegal Gun commercial. I attached a photo in case you forgot what that guy looked like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nra18n-1-web.jpg (31.6 KB, 104 views)
Old June 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #25
Nickel Plated

I'm a male, 23, white (Russian immigrant, came here when I was 9) live in NYC, hopefully not for too long. About average build.
So far only own a Winchester SXP Field model. Though I'm by no means a fudd. I very much like all the evil black rifles and am in favor of unrestricted CCW. Work in construction, went to work right after high school, though I'm likely to be going to college soon to learn some better trades. I don't think carpenter is a job I can enjoy doing for too long.
Funny thing is I went to a very artsy high school in midtown Manhattan. But they still never got into my head

Yea it's a bit tough to find anyone around here who shares my hobby. But most people I meet, or atleast associate myself with are atleast neutral about it. Haven't met too many truly rabid antis.

Edit: Also I'm not religious at all. Though don't particularly like calling myself atheist just because most of the ones I met seem pretty preoccupied with arguing that god sucks for someone who doesn't believe he exists. I see some are mentioning the cars they drive. I drive a 98 Camaro with T-Tops so i guess atleast that part fits the redneck stereotype.