The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2011, 11:16 AM   #101
Gehrhard

My interest in a shotgun with hard, magnum, 000 buckshot for bear is for all the same basic features that shotguns generally offer and the benefits that result. This is a shotgun page so I presume(d) I don't have to iterate them.

At this point just let people choose, bruins behave, and Darwin judge.
Old December 13, 2011, 12:18 PM   #102
TheKlawMan

Arentol. You may want to read that Hawk's article over and note things he talks about such as size and weight of shotguns as compared to rifles, accuracy, the effect of accuracy on penetration, and the availability of ammunition. That an Alaskan trooper had a sg doesn't mean a lot unless he had the opportunity to take a rifle but chose to go with an SG. My personal choice for bear defense would be a M-60 machine gun mounted in the door of a Huey hovering at 200 feet.

I also wondered what point Hawks was making about the bulltet passing thruough the bear's shoulder. I think it was that it pentrated well, even if the particular shot could have been pladed better so as to allow it to penetrate and take out vital organs.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; December 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old December 13, 2011, 05:29 PM   #103
markj

Didnt know bears needed a defensive shotgun, what the heck they fearing?
Old December 13, 2011, 08:05 PM   #104
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 08:16 AM #101
Gehrhard

My interest in a shotgun with hard, magnum, 000 buckshot for bear is for all the same basic features that shotguns generally offer and the benefits that result. This is a shotgun page so I presume(d) I don't have to iterate them.

At this point just let people choose, bruins behave, and Darwin judge.
Sorry, not sure where to find that information. Could you elaborat for my benefit why I should consider buckshot instead of slugs for bear defense.

Thank you.
Old December 14, 2011, 01:15 PM   #105
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Sorry, not sure where to find that information. Could you elaborat for my benefit why I should consider buckshot instead of slugs for bear defense.

Thank you.
I don't think you are going to get any further information from him, it was all gobbledy gook. It seems the young man feels that none of us can hit a bear with a slug so we must use buckshot. After all if it is good on a 150 pound deer armed with those deadly antlers at 30 yards or a 180 pound boogerman at 3 yards then buckshot should be devastating on a 500+ pound Grizzly who doesn't have any defensive weapons. No antlers, no body armor, no gun, no knife, poor bear doesn't stand a chance.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 14, 2011, 02:25 PM   #106
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 10:15 AM #105
Old Grump

Quote:

Thank you.
I don't think you are going to get any further information from him, it was all gobbledy gook. It seems the young man feels that none of us can hit a bear with a slug so we must use buckshot. After all if it is good on a 150 pound deer armed with those deadly antlers at 30 yards or a 180 pound boogerman at 3 yards then buckshot should be devastating on a 500+ pound Grizzly who doesn't have any defensive weapons. No antlers, no body armor, no gun, no knife, poor bear doesn't stand a chance.
+1 Old Grump. Yes, I suspect that being able to hit a charging bear with the associated adrenalin dump, tunnel vision, tremors and the speed of these critters must make connecting a difficult chore. Yet, it seems every year we do have successful defense with large slugs hitting the target. Buck shot from everything I have read just won't get the penetration and it spreads rapidly past 30 yards.

On the other hand, who can argue with a Brenneke slugs or a 540 garrett Hammerhead in 45-70 putting these beasts down for the count. Buckshot in some FBI ballistic test doesn't even penetrate car doors at certain distances. Folks can go with the buckshot if they wish, I will just keep a big chunk of lead handy.
Old December 14, 2011, 02:36 PM   #107
Isk

I'm with Alaska444. Up here the Troopers put the aggressive bears down with the Brenneke Black Magic 3" rounds (at least when they are in town). It works and a lot of people swear by them.
Old December 15, 2011, 03:27 AM   #108
shortwave

Quote:
Up here the troopers put the aggressive bears down with the Brenneke Black Magic 3" rounds...It works and a lot of people swear by them
+1

...and again, where are you from ISK?...Alaska?

....You have some big bears up there don't you.

All this silly talk and rambling about the best big bear defense, super great 00 or 000, buffered buck in Winchester or any other brand of ammo makeup, whether it be plated copper, tungsten , carbide or any other form of plated buckshot for brown bear defense is just simply foolish.

Again, if my guide were carrying buckshot for his ' big bear defense' shotgun, I would know he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Last edited by shortwave; December 15, 2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old December 15, 2011, 06:45 AM   #109
darkgael

horse....dead?

At the risk of beating a dead horse......and no criticism intended of the poster, just an example of how an appeal to authority is not always a proof...

Quote:
I recall reading a gunmag author's nationally known bear hunt guide, understand they were hunting black bear, was carrying a .22 Mag rifle. The author was using a .357 revolver with soft bullets. The guide, who was up a tree, did help stop the charging bear for him after the author shot it in the head without result...
I have no doubt that the story is as summarized. Two firearms on a bear hunt....a .22 magnum and a .357. A head shot with the .357 didn't work. The bear charged. Not sure what happened then....the .22 Magnum helped to stop the charging bear. What, I wonder, does that mean exactly?
Despite the fact that the guide is nationally known, one has to deal with the fact that a .22 magnum is not normally a back up weapon on a bear hunt, especially if the main weapon, a .357 in this case, is already on the light side.
Just because someone well known did it, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Pete

PS - A btw.....a 40 grain .22 mag bullet at 1900 fps has more muzzle energy (320 ftlbs) than a .36 buckshot pellet at 1225 (236 ftlbs). The pellet, however, has a larger KO factor (4) than the .22 (2). A 12 ga. slug gets a 53.
But then....how accurate are KO factors?

Last edited by darkgael; December 15, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old December 16, 2011, 11:34 PM   #110
Gehrhard

Furbearing Insults

I know, buckshot is really only useful for large puppies.

And 10 hard .36 caliber pellets' KO? What's the value of most hitting your target simultaneously vs. a miss with a slug? Too late -- no aimed follow-up shot allowed. Reactive defense is not the same as proactive offense -- in the former the bear chooses the time and place of the action and in the latter it is you. You remind me of my all-talk brother-in-law who, after I went to put a deposit on a 7-1/2" .41 Magnum Ruger Redhawk to go bear hunting with him (with handguns was the only way I would), reneged and asked if I was crazy.

By the way, the police going in to hunt a bear in town? Makes some sense using a slug even over a rifle due to range -- but that's not defense. I know you need a .338 Win Mag for a wild, wild, fawn but, sorry, many seem to sell big buckshot magnum shotgun shells short. Hunting? Yeah, I'd prefer my .30-06 Ackley Improved too. Around camp and cabin where brown bear may roam? A .44 Mag. revolver and a Mossberg 500 loaded with 3" Magnum Winchester Supreme Copper-Plated 000 Buckshot.

No worries.

Last edited by Gehrhard; December 16, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:20 AM   #111
Alaska444

I believe that gives you about 1250 fps muzzle velocity if I have the correct 3 inch winchester Buckshot you are referring to. Might work on a small black bear, but not the sort of thing I would feel comfortable with large grizzly. If I went with a 12 ga, it would be slugs all the way for bear defense. Higher velocity, better penetration, more KO, more lead down range.

The last time I checked, you still have aim a shotgun with buckshot to have an effective hit, just like with slugs. Buckshot simply lacks the penetration or power to be a serious big bear defense option of any reliability especially past 30 yards where many experts advise as the minimum distance to start shooting at a charging bear.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:21 PM   #112
Ultrastick

Bear Defense

There's only one way to stop a charging bear: Take his credit card away!

Seriously, I want too much, rather than enough, as another poster said, so give me slugs.
Old December 25, 2011, 11:09 AM   #113
paranoia911

Not that I know much of anything about charging bears or the Alaskan Wilderness, but two cartridges I have really taken a liking to and will one day own are the Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70 govt, and for a pistol the Ruger 454 Cassul with a 7.5" barrel. I have heard from more than one person that either of these two guns are more than enough to take down just about anything in North America. Again, not claiming to be an expert on anything, this is just what older, wiser guys have told me. Please let me know what you guys think!
Old December 25, 2011, 04:05 PM   #114
Alaska444

THe 45-70 and the .454 both with proper loads will handle just about anything in NA woods. Both pack a wallup at both ends with high TKO values and recoil. The loads throw a large chunck of lead down field in the same manner as a large chunck of lead from a 12 ga shotgun slug. That gives deep penetration and the ability to smash through bone, heavy fur and thick tissues to reach the vitals. When it comes to bears, that is where the money is for stopping power.

My combination is the .444 and the .44 magnum SRH 7.5 inch for my woods protection. What I give up in top end power, I save on my own arm from reduced recoil. Nevertheless, if you can handle the recoil, yes, the 45-70 and .454 combination with proper loads is a great way to go. Just make sure you take enough ammo in case you run into a pack of wolves on the way.
Old December 25, 2011, 06:04 PM   #115
ThorInc

You have a good firearm.....I would follow the advice of the second post, it was dead on and slugs are the way to go. Please don't shot the bear at 100 feet or more .
Old December 26, 2011, 07:00 AM   #116
paranoia911

Good to know thank you for the responses! Unfortunately I don't own them yet but they're on my list for sure! Chances are slim that I would need them where I currently live, but would like to make it up to Alaska for a fishing trip sometime. I have been told that my 357 mag and 45ACP are plenty for a bear encounter in Washington state, this coming from a former Alaskan guide. Not looking to test the theory by any means, just refer back to my screen name!
Old December 26, 2011, 12:24 PM   #117
Gehrhard

Now, I do Alaska, and may be ridiculed for relying on plated, buffered, 3" Magnum 000 Buckshot (that will go through a car door out to 30 or 40 yards and gelatin - yeah, I know - almost as far as a 1 oz. Foster at short ranges) for close encounters of the bruin kind, but...

Although your handgun choices are better than nothing I would say they are a little anemic. NOW the balance tips. Power is important and bullet choice critical.

"I don't recommend carrying a 357 in bear country, but the ballistics from this guy are enough to give you a fighting chance. Out of a 6" barrel your pushing 800 Ft. Lbs. This is fabulous. Out of my 3" SmIth, this round pushes 1400 FPS. The old timers say that for protection from bear you need a 200 grain slug traveling at least 900 FPS. The old 45 colt with 260 grains at 960 FPS was good enough to get the job done. This round is even better."

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=100

But a shotgun with hard slugs is looking better...

Last edited by Gehrhard; December 26, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old December 26, 2011, 02:03 PM   #118
Alaska444

Quote:
But a shotgun with hard slugs is looking better...
I would hope you do relook at the issue. I will try to find the police shotgun penetration tests done quite a while back and available in video format, but they looked at door penetration for police use and buckshot failed at times to penetrate even one door. Slugs always penetrated two doors. I will try to find the video I posted once on TFL over a year ago I believe on this same issue.
Old December 26, 2011, 02:57 PM   #119
Alaska444

I found the video I was looking for testing 12 ga buckshot vs slugs for police use. Note that the buckshot failed penetrate the door at all. Slugs penetrated not only the first door, but the opposite side door as well. Not a real life bear penetration test, but where we going to find that except in the wild and doubt it would be video taped in a bear charge situation very often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWRToW2d1XU

I believe that this shows why buckshot is just not the way to go with bear defense on both penetration and spread at 35 yards with 00 buck shot.

If you can handle the recoil, get a Garrett Hammerhead in 45-70 540 gr and all it has to do is hit center of mass to be stopping shot.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:59 PM   #120
Gehrhard

Interesting. I learned to pay attention and not to use 2-3/4" regular lead, unbuffered, 00 Buckshot against a '70 Chevy Impala door. Luckily that isn't what I was referencing.

Plated, buffered, 3" Magnum 000 buckshot would go thru it easily though. And at the optimal opperating range of a shotgun. I've read police tests of up to 50 and 60 yards even.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/12gaugeFBITest3.html

Note: none of this was meant to imply that bears of any color usually take cover behind car doors.
Old December 26, 2011, 06:08 PM   #121
Alaska444

Yup, the 3 inch magnums are a better choice, but I like the impact of the 12 ga slug better. Look at the difference in massive tissue disruption represented by the ballistics gel. Too each his own my friend.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/12gaugeFedTacSlug.html

I believe the 45-70 540 Hammerhead is even better with end to end penetration of coastal grizzlies in AK.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570540tech.html

Can't find a ballistics gel of the Hammerhead, but here is a smaller 45-70 at over 1900 fps which is quite small and slow for many 45-70 loads.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/federal4570.html

Last edited by Alaska444; December 26, 2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old December 27, 2011, 02:43 PM   #122
paranoia911

again thank you all for the insight...I have yet to see any small(ish) blackies around my neck of the woods but I know they are around. If I were to be in an area where I knew an encounter was likely I would probably have my Weatherby 459R 12 guage pump with 3" Sabot Hollow Point Slugs. Haven't done any real tests with them but judging from the recoil they produce and the cost of 1 shell, I am willing to bet that a well placed shot at center mass in close quarters would do the trick. Bears don't seem to be a really big concern here, but they are around like I said. It also could draw some potentially negative attention walking my dogs with my 2 handguns and a shotgun slung across my chest...not that I care what people think around here
Old December 30, 2011, 05:19 PM   #123
Gehrhard

Eureka!

After watching a video with a 1,500 pound brown bear playing with a man in a 400 lb. cage where no gun in the world seemed big enough except for the one in the picture below, after seeing the following practcal vignette I've decided we were ALL correct and think it has THE answer that will suit all of our needs reasonably well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fHZbSpmnA4

Happy New year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boyes Got It.jpg (4.9 KB, 15 views)
Old December 30, 2011, 06:12 PM   #124
Alaska444

Actually, WA does have grizzly bear once again:

Quote:
The first grizzly bear photographed in the North Cascades in about half a century was encountered by hiker Joe Sebille in October. Sebille's photos didn't come to light until spring, when he was visiting with a park ranger at Marblemount, Skagit County.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rizzly02m.html

With the growing Idaho grizzly population, I believe WA will be opened to grizzly on the east and west side of the state very soon. Remember that there is a grizzly preserve in Priest lake right near the eastern WA border and you have B.C. to the north both with growing grizzly populations.

When my son comes for a visit next year in Idaho, I will have my .444 and my .44 SRH, he will have my GP100 .357 and a Winchester 94 .44 magnum that can throw 300 gr bullets at 1800 fps, in the 45-70 low end of power. He is a bit more recoil shy than I am, so that is how we will be loaded. He can run a lot faster than I can, so I will have the better guns, but his Winchester should be enough gun in Idaho as long as it is not a huge grizzly, but still with proper shot placement, the .44 magnum in a Winchester is nothing to sneeze at.

I would not go alone with only a .357 or .45 ACP, just not enough if you are in grizzly country. By the way, California is now home to gray wolves as well. Good luck getting a game management program in that state as the population grows in the next decade.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/316931

Wow, can you imagine the northern folks asking the southern CA city dwellers to allow limited hunting to keep the big bad wolf from eating them. LA won't care the least what happens in Shasta. LOL. As it is going, wait to CA has the grizzly back again as well. Only a matter of time, the suckers don't just stay in one place.
Old December 30, 2011, 06:14 PM   #125
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 02:19 PM #123
Gehrhard

Eureka!
After watching a video with a 1,500 pound brown bear playing with a man in a 400 lb. cage where no gun in the world seemed big enough except for the one in the picture below, after seeing the following practcal vignette I've decided we were ALL correct and think it has THE answer that will suit all of our needs reasonably well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fHZbSpmnA4

Happy New year
Attached Images
Boyes Got It.jpg (4.9 KB, 2 views)
Yup, that is about what you really need along with a bazooka for a little extra protection.

Have a good and safe New Years.

Tags
animal attack , benelli 870 bear defense , grizzly