The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1
gun nut

Which way to go? Beginning reloader.

To start I don't have any reloading equipment and do not want a progressive reloader. The calibers I plan to reload are: 308, 6.8, 223, 45 acp, 357 mag/38 spl, 9mm. I'm not opposed to multiple loaders. Ie: a lee classic turret for handgun and good single stage or t7 for rifle. Is the lnl classic kit with the 500 bullets something to consider? Don't forget I need all the pieces scale, bushings, powder measure etc. Thanks in advance.
Old August 30, 2009, 09:13 AM   #2
rwilson452

As far as presses go. I will tell you what I decided on. I have a Lee Classic Turret for short run pistol stuff. I load all my rifle stuff on a Lee Classic Cast. I could do the rifle stuff on the turret but I don't. I tend to be real anal retentive with my rifle loads. I do have a Lee Loadmaster for large runs of pistol ammo. I have three presses but I have been reloading for a good many years. If I were to settle on just one press I suspect it would be the Lee Classic turret. Ge it with auto indexing and the safety prime ( large and small) My powder measures are Lee also I have a auto disk mounted on all the turrets for pistol stuff and the perfect powder measure on all the rife turrets. Yes, get a turret for each caliber you load. I have an OLD Dillon D Terminator electronic scale and a Lee beam scale I also bought check weights. Calipers, Loading blocks, dippers. Lee trimmers for all my rifle stuff. I don't trim pistol brass. Read the sticky at the top of this forum. I would suggest before you buy anything else get two or three books I have a large collection of reloading data manuals Sierra and Lyman being my favorites.
Read the books front to back before you buy anything else.

Which way to go? Beginning reloader.
To start I don't have any reloading equipment and do not want a progressive reloader. The calibers I plan to reload are: 308, 6.8, 223, 45 acp, 357 mag/38 spl, 9mm. I'm not opposed to multiple loaders. Ie: a lee classic turret for handgun and good single stage or t7 for rifle. Is the lnl classic kit with the 500 bullets something to consider? Don't forget I need all the pieces scale, bushings, powder measure etc. Thanks in advance.
Old August 30, 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Nightowl

Quote:
I would suggest before you buy anything else get two or three books I have a large collection of reloading data manuals Sierra and Lyman being my favorites. Read the books front to back before you buy anything else.
Excellent suggestion.
Always - Safety First!
Old August 30, 2009, 09:56 AM   #4
gun nut

Let me add I've read the beginners sticky several times and have the abcs of reloading and am getting hornadys (I think 7th edition). Thanks
Old August 30, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Sevens

While I use a single stage (Lee Classic Cast), I don't think there's much advantage to going out and buying a single stage IF you already have a turret press, like the Lee Classic Turret. Any/every turret press can safely, easily, and effectively be used just fine as a single stage press.

I've also argued that it's not (IMO) much of an upgrade to spend the money to move to a turret press if you already have a single stage. It's long been my opinion that a turret press is just a single stage press with more space to put stuff. In the end, the true advantage of a progressive reloading press is that ONE single pull of the handle executes MULTIPLE functions which saves an exponential amount of time, strength and energy. No turret press does multiple things with a single pull of the handle... Only a progressive does that.

Bottom line, in my opinion: If you have no press, buy a turret press and you are good to go. If you have a single stage, don't spend the money to "upgrade" to a turret press if you need more production. Instead, save that money and put it toward a true progressive if that's what you want or need.

LnL Classic with 500 free bullets? Great press, but I think a Lee Classic Cast is a better buy. The free bullets are a terrific promotion, but I don't know if it's worth missing out on the turret press.

As for all the other equipment, I say we go one step at a time. Pick your press and then maybe we can discuss it further! The options are like information overload.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Ozzieman

I am not a fan of turret presses. I have owned a Lee but got rid of it. For me a single stage the Rock chucker is the best and I have owned one for 30 years now.
I have a Dillon 550 but its set up for 9mm only and has been that way for over 10 years. I am not a big fan of progressive because I like to see and inspect each and every operation.
Stay away from cheep electronic scales.
There is a lot of different manufactures equipment you can buy and some of the kits are alright. But you will find out as you load that some of the pieces that come with kits are just cheep crap. There are places you do not want to scrimp in money spent.
Scales
Dies (Carbide) (Redding)
Power measure.
Find some one in your aria that has a loading setup and has been loading for a long time and have them show you the ropes. Usually people that have loaded for a long time have learned what works and what is crap.
Its like the turret press, there is nothing wrong with them, for hand guns, but I don’t like them because there are too many moving parts and loading as many rifle rounds as I do the Classic Lee had to much play in it. Where as a Rock chucker only the piston moves and it’s as stable as your bench is.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:33 AM   #7
hornady

Just starting out you are going to need a kit package. Only you will know how many rounds you are going to be loading. The Lee press is pretty good. However every thing else in the kit is pretty cheap. Take this for what its worth. Just starting out Buy quality and it will last you a life time. I recommend the Hornady LNL classic package. To most people. Only because you get 500 free bullets with it. The RCBS is just as good. Or Lyman. I know guy are going the howl when I say this but look at what you get with the lee compared to the other presses. The Lee powder dump. and scale . are toys compared to Hornady, RCBS or Lyman.
Old August 30, 2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Farmland

First of all forget about the 500 free bullets, it is an incentive to sell the product. Most people that reload would go through those in a months time.

With the number of calibers that you want to reload for your steps into reloading will not be cheap. The Lee systems are very good and some do come in complete kits. However if you are the type of person that has to have the quality feel to equipment then some of their products may disappoint you. They use more plastic and lighter weight metal in some of their products. However this doesn't mean they will not produce quality ammunition because they do.

The Hornady LNL classic package is certainly another good set as is Lyman's and the others. I use a mix set that includes the Lee Single stage press, RCBS powder measure, along with some things from Hornady, Lyman and Dillon when reloading with the single stage press. It was a little more expensive but I found I liked different manufactures for different things.

My list which may not be for everyone.

1. Lee Single Stage Press (Challenger Press)
2. Combination of RCSB, Dillon, Lee, Horandy dies. (includes individual specialty dies)
3. RCBS, Lyman, Lee Balance scale, Lyman digital scale
4. RCBS case trimmer, individual Lee hand held case trimers.
5. Dillon CV-750 Vibratory Case Cleaner
6. Dillon bullet puller
7. RCBS, Dillon case lube
8. Lyman deburring tool
9. Dillon CM-500 Case/Media Separator
10. Mitutoyo Digital Caliper
11. Wilson & Dillon case gauge
12. RCBS plastic funnel
13. RCBS & Lyman lube pads
14. Lee & RCBS hand held primer seaters
15. RCBS bullet extractor and primer swage
16. Lyman media for the case vibrator
17. Too many books a data sheets to mention by name (Lyman has to be the best all around and first on everyone's list)
18. Craftmans hand tools for adjusting equipment
19. RCBS powder stand
20. Dillon large primer flip tray
21. Lee small plastic flip tray
22. Lyman large & small primer hole hand tools (cleaner)
23. Lyman hand held military primer hole reamers.
24. Dewalt drill to automate some of the hand tools
25. Lyman shell holders kit
26. Lee shell holders kit
27. RCBS Powder trickle
28. Hornady neck brushes
29. Dillon and others plastic bins ( holds bullets, cases etc)
30. That is all I can think of right now
Old August 30, 2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Edward429451

I have two single stage presses and two progressives and my experience developed preference to load certain calibers certain ways. I like to load 9mm, 45acp, and 223/5.56 on progressives, and 308, 30/06, 45/70, 7mm mag, 30/30, and all rimmed handgun cartridge calibers single stage.
Old August 30, 2009, 02:09 PM   #10
rn22723

Make Life Simple!
Buy RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit!
Quote:
Includes: Rock Chucker Supreme Press, 5-0-5 Mechanical Scale, Hand Priming Tool, Uniflow Powder Measure, Case Lube Pad, Case Lube-2, Case Neck Brushes, Case Loading Block, Powder Funnel, Hex wrench set, Debur tool and Speer Reloading Manual.

Buy Only RCBS Shell Holders as they work with the RCBS Hand Primer you get in the kit.
You will do well with a RCBS dial caliper, way cheaper!
Get the RCBS Trimmer.
You dont need case gauges for autoloader cartridges take your bbl out.
Get the RCBS Powder Trickler or look at the Lyman with adjustable base.
Get the RCBS Inertia Bullet Puller
Buy your media at Wally World....they have lizzard litter which is ground walnut. Do not get their corn cob, way too big for cartridge cleaning.
Lyman hand tools are fine.
Old August 30, 2009, 02:15 PM   #11
zxcvbob

I have a Hornady LNL progressive press, and an old C&H 333 multi-station single stage press. I probably use the C&H more than the progressive because it's much faster and easier to change-over to another caliber (most of the time used with either one is getting the powder measure set up) and it still loads plenty fast except when I need to crank out hundreds of rounds at a time.
Old August 30, 2009, 02:24 PM   #12
gun nut

What about thoughts on a powder scale combo? Lyman 1200 vs rcbs 1500? Tumblers/case cleaners. Or any other good pieces of equipment? Thanks for all of the good info so far.

Last edited by gun nut; August 30, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old August 30, 2009, 05:25 PM   #13
rn22723

Hit the this for info on the electronic scale measure combos
http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Most things electrical have a 1 year warranty. You can spend from 50 to several hundred dollars on polishers either rotary or vibratory. Buy one and start using it!
Old August 30, 2009, 05:31 PM   #14
hornady

It is up to you how ever you are starting from scratch. I would go with the kit. The number one reason being. You may be able to piece together all the main items, however I think you are going to run into those dreaded words( back order.) As a kit you get everything to start up except the dies. And as I said earlier I still have the press ,trimmer, and scale. I bought in 1970. I up graded my RCBS powder dump to The LNL powder dump, that comes with the kit. It Has inter changeable powder meters. They run about $8.00 each. So I have 4 one for each caliber. To change from one rifle to the next. I push a button pop out one and replace. A quick check on the scale. And I am loading the next caliber. I up graded my Pacific Scale to a RCBS. 1500 only because my eyes are getting bad and the Digital is easier to see. Read the review on the RCBS at Mid-Way . I still use the Pacific scale from time to time to double check the RCBS. So after thousands of rounds. And 40 years. I would say it pays to buy quality in the beginning. I have had a Lyman 1200 tumble for 10 years and its still going strong.
Old August 30, 2009, 06:12 PM   #15
rn22723

Just remember that Hornady has such a poor fill rate on orders that is sad, but getting better. RCBS is the way to go with kits! And, as posted ......above....

You will always need a mechanical scale, electronic ones seem crap out at the wrong time!
Old August 30, 2009, 07:30 PM   #16
226nsw

I agree, go with the RCBS RC Supreme master kit. Cabela's has it on sale right now for $289 plus they are running a free shipping promo until Tuesday . Some companies warranty and customer service MAY be as good, but it won't be better than you'll get with RCBS. The stuff holds its value pretty well if you do decide to get rid of it on flea bay later on. I doubt that you will since the stuff is designed to last a lifetime. And most of us always keep our quality single stage setup even after moving to a progressive. Best of luck with your new addiction, sorry I meant hobby I just looked there is an $8 surcharge for heavy items

Last edited by 226nsw; August 30, 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old August 30, 2009, 08:05 PM   #17
emcon5

Quote:
You will do well with a RCBS dial caliper, way cheaper!
I picked up a decent dial caliper at my local hardware store for about $15 when I started loading. I also picked up a digital caliper from Harbor Freight which works very well, and is dirt cheap, $12. This is the one I have. In fact, if you look at the RCBS Digital Caliper, aside from the green trim and RCBS logo, it looks to be the same, (based on the buttons and design of the display area). I like RCBS, but ~$60 vs $12 is a no brainer. It also looks to be the same as the $29 Cabelas digital Caliper and $55 Cabelas digital Caliper and $25 Hornady Caliper.

Quote:
Get the RCBS Trimmer.
I am partial to the Lee hand trimmer. He can get everything to trim every case he listed for around $40.

Quote:
You dont need case gauges for autoloader cartridges take your bbl out.
Good advice.

I will second (or is it third?) the recommendation for the RCBS Kit. When I first got in to reloading, I bought an inexpensive Lee starter kit, and while it was adequate, I ended up buying pretty much everything in that kit over the next few years, piece by piece and spent about 2 times the price of that Rock Chucker Kit.
Old August 30, 2009, 11:24 PM   #18
gun nut

All good info thanks to all! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after I get started.
Old August 31, 2009, 01:37 AM   #19
Shoney

Quote:
rn22723 wrote
Just remember that Hornady has such a poor fill rate on orders that is sad
How in the bleepity blep would you know that????????

Lets see, the fact that you own and usually advocate dillon. No, that cant be an influence.
Ohhh! I know, you heard it from a freind of a friend who got it straight from the dillin rep.

gun nut
You stated that you read the sticky for new reloaders. The writer of that is DaveinGa, a very well informed reloader and straight shooter. If you do a search of his recent posts on the subject of presses, you will get some great advice.

I loaded for 35 years on single stage presses and in the early 90's got a Dillon 550 at an estate sale along with various dies and components. I loaded a lot of pistol cartridges on it. I then saw and loaded on the hornady LNL AP and got that for pistol and for large runs of 223 and 308 for gas guns. After doing runout testing on the Hornady, 550 & 650, and my singlestage presses, the LNL was measureably the better of them. So I now load all my rifle and most of my pistol on it, The 550 is reserved for 38/357.

If you have the number of cartridges fired to justify buying a progressive, there is no reason why a newbie cannot start on one IF, and thats a big IF you have a modest machanical aptitue and patience to work thru the leaning curves.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111