The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 7, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
mannyCA

California ammo ban...

Fellow shooters, the state of California is considering legislation that would severely restrict ammo sales in the state, please call the comittee to voice your opposition if you live here, if not, make as many people aware of this draconian law as possible. YOUR STATE MAY BE NEXT.
We need to stand together to defeat this Marxist agenda. Please do not discount this as a "not in my backyard" issue because it very well could be.:barf:

California Assembly Bill 962 will be heard before the Senate Public Safety on July 7th 2009.

see bill information and contact info here at Calguns.net
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=176297

Please fax and call the Senate Public Safety Committee

Quote:
PH: (916)651-4118
FAX: (916) 445-4688

Mailing Address:

State Capitol
Room 2031
Sacramento, CA 95814
Old July 10, 2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Don P

Ahh yes, a Governor starting out as a Republican that governs like a far left liberal. What else would you expect from a man married into the Kennedy clan and to boot, she is ugly as sin. Might as well call it Taxachussetts on the west coast.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Hunley

50 rounds a month... What in the... I go through more than that on ONE range trip per firearm.
Old July 10, 2009, 09:54 PM   #4
VA9mm

That's pretty bad... Submitting fingerprints to purchase ammunition, which in turn go to Department of Justice.

Keep us updated.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:55 AM   #5
maestro pistolero

There's no way this will pass constitutional muster. Well-regulated means well drilled, practiced. That can't happen on 50 rounds a month.
Old July 11, 2009, 02:33 AM   #6
sholling

I hate the idea too, especially since I buy online. But just to set the record straight the 50rd limit is a private party transfer. You can buy a boxcar full in a store.
Old July 11, 2009, 05:57 AM   #7
shaunpain

This sounds somewhat akin to Israel (and be easy, I didn't read the bill). I believe they are allowed to obtain and keep in their possession one handgun (long guns and shotguns prohibited) and 50 rounds of ammunition for said handgun in their domicile. On top of this, it is very common in Israel for civilians to carry concealed. What gives?
Old July 11, 2009, 07:31 AM   #8
wingman

Quote:
On top of this, it is very common in Israel for civilians to carry concealed. What gives?
Just a guess but California leaders don't understand they live in America.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

So how much will this cost to implement? CA doesn't seem to be up to starting new programs.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:55 PM   #10
mannyCA

Originally this bill was to be passed and then a brand spanking new statewide computerized system was going to be initialized. Fortunately, the financial mess of the state delayed the project because of the cost. Now they want to amend it to be done by a paper log book. Folks, I have given this state up for dead. That ludicrous lead ban in Condor areas alone warrants a mass exodus of the state by hunters. :barf::barf:

UPDATE: On 7/7/09 - The Handgun Ammo sales restriction passed the Senate Public Safety Committee. It will now go to the Senate Appropriations Committee. Please contact the members of the committee and urge a NO vote on AB 962.

I understand many of you reading this are not in the PRK, but I hope to bombard the committee members with enough responses from gun owners to realize how ridiculous this really is.

http://calnra.com/legs/senapprops.shtml

Last edited by mannyCA; July 13, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old July 13, 2009, 09:54 PM   #11
JWT

Good grief, where do the folks running Kalifornia come up with these ideas. The state's giving out IOU's and they're concerned about someone giving someone else more than 50 rds. of ammo without a ton of paperwork!!!! Unbelievable to say the least.
Old July 13, 2009, 09:57 PM   #12
ADB

I'd take a much more cynical view about these sorts of bills if I were you guys, and not get worked up about them. There's probably half a dozen such bills a year introduced in California just as there are here in New York. None of them will pass, and none are expected to--they're showboat bills by lawmakers who are feeding a particular constituency, the same as the resolution a couple local idiot lawmakers were talking up around here to make upstate New York a seperate state.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:15 PM   #13
seed

Quote:
I'd take a much more cynical view about these sorts of bills if I were you guys, and not get worked up about them. There's probably half a dozen such bills a year introduced in California just as there are here in New York. None of them will pass, and none are expected to--they're showboat bills by lawmakers who are feeding a particular constituency, the same as the resolution a couple local idiot lawmakers were talking up around here to make upstate New York a seperate state.
I truly appreciate the calming sentiment, but that isn't what helped the AWB sunset without a fight and is not what has kept the present administration from attacking 2A (yet). Lawmakers were bombarded with letters and e-mails and they pay attention to their voting constituencies who pay close attention to how they vote on certain hot-button issues. Forums like this one are what made the difference, as can be seen by the consistent alerts about the countless polls which popped up on various news web sites about 2A matters and how badly the the antis were beaten each and every time as a result of forum members voting on them. So yeah, bang the drum and loudly.
Old July 13, 2009, 10:17 PM   #14
fastforty

We been trying to split CA into 3 states for a long time. The liberal south, the liberal north, and those of us who have some sense, stuck in the middle.
Old July 13, 2009, 11:37 PM   #15
Nnobby45

Quote:
Good grief, where do the folks running Kalifornia come up with these ideas. The state's giving out IOU's and they're concerned about someone giving someone else more than 50 rds. of ammo without a ton of paperwork!!!! Unbelievable to say the least.
Yes, and let's not forget that family members are included among those you're not allowed to transfer more than 50 rds. a month to.

I wonder how they'll determine who it belonged to in the first place and how they plan to enforce the law.

Are you allowed to buy ammo for a family member? Does that count toward your allotment, or the persons' you bought it for? If you signed for it, probably goes toward both your allotments. Crap, hope it's not 50 rds. per household per month. If it's not, it won't take long for them to amend it to that.

If the owner of the ammo dies, does next of kin own the ammo, or does it go into probate. Maybe it just goes towards the next months allotment for the person who inherits it, once it's determined who that is , or maybe there's a waiting period until you get into the next month where the allotment amount starts again.

Maybe..........ah never mind, I'm getting confused. I'm glad the gas bags who wrote the law are real clear about how it works and how to enforce it.
Old July 14, 2009, 11:15 PM   #16
mannyCA

What I want to know is how is .22lr ammo going to be treated, as rifle or pistol ammo? typical bureaucratic garbage will dictate this one. Please I urge all of you to tell everyone who owns a gun about this piece of legislature.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.

A little melodramatic but you get my point...

manny
Old July 14, 2009, 11:47 PM   #17
Notenoughguns

I'm with you Manny, right in the dragons lair(SF bay area). These are feel good laws that the Ds constantly are pushing down our throats. Will they ever understand that criminals don't obey the law? Maybe they do, and maybe they are trying to disarm good law abiding citizens. You know a disarmed populace is mush easier to control. I wish gun owners from all over the states would move here so we could get rid of the bums in sacramento, you know Arnold isn't the only guy running the state. I also would love to see the NRA fighting more here in kommiefornia and I have sent them many letters stating such.

Every American should be worried about gun laws here, as this is where they come to fruition and are passed along to other states and even the federal government.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:34 AM   #18
ADB

fastforty, ya know that there are gun-toting liberals running around here, right?
Old July 15, 2009, 02:07 PM   #19
mannyCA

Remember when Arnold signed that bill last year declaring Californians had a right to bear arms? Well, the left has abandoned that tactic and now are focused on taking away the ammo. There was talk about amending the condor preservation bill to include any bird of prey, I.E. lead would be forbidden to be used ANYWHERE birds of prey live in the state .:barf:
Old July 15, 2009, 02:34 PM   #20
m.p.driver

Kinda sounds a little Obama'ish
Old July 15, 2009, 04:37 PM   #21
ADB

Quote:
Remember when Arnold signed that bill last year declaring Californians had a right to bear arms? Well, the left has abandoned that tactic and now are focused on taking away the ammo. There was talk about amending the condor preservation bill to include any bird of prey, I.E. lead would be forbidden to be used ANYWHERE birds of prey live in the state .
Why not? I'd think anyone interested in hunting would also want to make sure their kids and their grandkids have a clean environment left to hunt in. Personally I've abandoned using anything but steel or other non-toxic shot in my 12 gauge, and I've been buying mil-surplus 7.62x51mm rounds for my rifle--steel jacket means less lead in the total mass and less likely to leak. Hevi-Shot proves that non-toxic lead alternatives are available, they're just not commoditized yet so they're not as cheap as they should be. I look forward to when I can play with cheap buckshot without wondering if I'm poisoning the groundwater.
Old July 15, 2009, 04:48 PM   #22
Uncle Ben

Thanks Manny for keeping us up to date. I have contacted each of them through the CA NRA site many times, about this and other proposed gun control. More of us need to speak up, loudly and repeatedly without rest, cause the other side doesn't rest. They want us to be without guns, we want to keep our guns (and ammo) and buy more. One of us has to win...
Old July 15, 2009, 05:14 PM   #23
Nnobby45

Quote:
Why not? I'd think anyone interested in hunting would also want to make sure their kids and their grandkids have a clean environment left to hunt in.
It's a gun grab disguised as an environmntal issue, that's why.

Lead is a substance that is naturally found in the environment. There are many things that are detrimenatal to the environment--like India's and China's massive pollution of the atmosphere. The destruction of the rain forests (which includes burning), massive nuclear waste hazards in Russia, etc., etc., without buying into lead as an environmental polluter justifying outlawing ammunition as just one more step towards completely destroying your gun rights.

Hasn't their intent been evident for a long time now, even without their current gem of a massive restriction?

Do you know of confirmed case of a Condor dying from eating meat shot with a bullet?

Waterfowl are different, since their feeding habits result in them ingesting pieces of lead shot that accumulate in the mud at the bottom of marshes in CONCENTRATED amounts. Non lead shot has been a requirement for a long time, and is justified. Non toxic ammo is als good for use on indoor ranges where powder and primer compounds are a concern, along with lead. However, with proper ventilation, I think indoor ranges are still safe without a "Green Range" requirement.

It's Arnold that needs to hear from Californians. The politicians are interested in their agenda's, not your rights.

Last edited by Nnobby45; July 15, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old July 15, 2009, 09:54 PM   #24
mannyCA

ADB I feel for you, I was born and raised in Jersey City, NJ and grew up hunting nothing but shotgun in the catskills and poconos twenty years ago. Well made the leap from the frying pan to the fire coming to California and the past 10 years has seen the environmental-fascists trying to "save us" from ourselves. Don't want to bore anyone but here goes... A few years ago the left in California said they wanted to raise gasoline taxes in order to institute a new chemical in said gas that would burn fuel cleaner for the environment. That passed, well a few years later it came to their attention that the additive, MTBE, was in fact leaching from the ground tanks and contaminating water tables. Back to the drawing board, they added more taxes on top of the original ones in order to clean up the mess and for litigation. That's what I think about their agenda and trying to keep the state from killing itself.
manny

Last edited by mannyCA; July 15, 2009 at 10:03 PM.