The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 1, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1
firfightir

AR build...

Hey yall im looking into building an AR... never built one before in my life and never owned one either... looking at building it for the simple fact of $$$. The set up that im looking for is a M4 style flattop 16" with mid length 4 sided rail system.... any thoughts on it... im also looking at buying a stripped lower i fould online for $50... is that price too good to be true??? like i said not to sound like an idiot just never built one before.... thanks guys!!!
Old December 1, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2
bcrash15

For $50, I'd do some research on the manufacturer and such just to make sure they are legit and have ok reviews. Also, is it new or used? That is a little below what I would expecting to pay for a new lower. But in the grand scheme, IMO, there are very few functional differences in the lowers. Now on a real nice one you might have more attention to detail and better quality control, but the vast majority of less expensive ones seem to come out of a handful of factories across the country and often the only difference is the logo etched on the side.

Keep in mind that the lower is the part considered a firearm and must be registered, so you will have to deal with shipping to an FFL who can transfer it to you. Their fee for this service will add up in the total cost. I can go and find them locally for $90 or so normally at shops, so if I bought the $50 one online, after paying the (overpriced) $30 transfer fee I wouldn't be saving too much.

Your build sounds like it could be done very economically, good luck!
Old December 1, 2010, 08:33 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I have not built any AR's yet. I do know that with the stripped lower you will need all of the parts that go into it. There are quite a few folks on here that realy know the poop on the AR and should be helpful.
From what little I know building an AR is like builing an engine in the that fact that you have a few big choices in parts, and a ton of smaller ones. Good luck I hope it turns out well for you.
Old December 2, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4
demigod

Building an AR is best done after you've owned one and know the system a little bit.

I'd BUY a complete upper, as most people have no damned business building that part of the gun. If you're half way handy, assembling the lower is fairly easy.... although idiots still manage to screw that up all the time.
Old December 2, 2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Technosavant

I agree with demigod that for your first time out, get a stripped lower, a parts kit, stock, and a complete upper. The upper is easy to screw up. The lower is not hard to assemble. Stick to reputable manufacturers for the parts. Lowers come in all kind of rollmarks, and 98% of them are just fine, but make sure the one you're looking to get has a rep for being in spec. For heaven's sake, stay away from stuff by Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne; their stuff sucks. Stick with a good maker for the lower parts kit and upper- Rock River, Bushmaster, etc. Daniel Defense or BCM if you are willing to spend a bit more.

For handguards, unless you're looking for something special like a free float railed one (even then, a Daniel Defense Omega rail would work great), I'd just pick out some two piece easy install handguards.
Old December 3, 2010, 04:53 AM   #6
firfightir

Thanks guys for all the info keep it coming! im looking into different ideas so im open to anything! as far as the transfer i get that for free from a local shop... they do that for free for police and fire personel! please keep the tips tricks and ideas coming!
Old December 3, 2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Tbag

With the current state of affairs buying a new or lightly used complete rifle may be the ticket, you will be hard pressed to save much by building your own at this point. I'd much rather buy a quality factory used rifle as opposed to parts gun.

Find yourself a deal. With the AR buying frenzy over, one can find factory guns that are essentially new up for sale as times have been tough for many and that new rifle is one of the first things to go.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:30 AM   #8
sonrider657

Building an AR is simple but in today's market you will not save much money. Nonetheless, I recommend building one just so you will become intimately aquainted with the firearm.

This thread will step you through the process: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Tags
ar-15 , flattop