The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1
micksis86

Reloading 9mm luger for my glock 17

I want to reload for my glock 17 but everywhere I look there are people saying not to do it. And that if you do you can't reload brass fired from glocks because of the unsupported chamber. Mine is a Gen3 do they have the unsupported chamber?

Also I am wondering what powders you guys would recommend for the 9mm in my glock I was thinking of using Win231. But I've seen in places people recommend slow to medium burning powders when reloading for glocks.
Why is this? Is it true or opinion? and does 231 fit the bill?

Thanks for your help.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2
oneounceload

I have been reloading for my 2nd Gen G17 since I bought it new eons ago, using range scrounged brass as well as factory once fired in my gun - no issues. No failure to feed, eject or fire.

I have not used 231. I reload for 38 as well as 20 gauge and 28 gauge and have used either Unique or Universal Clays, as they work for all of them. My G17 prefers 124 gr bullets best. I shoot the same ones in my G26 as well.

I use a single stage RCBS press and have for almost 30 years for all of my metallic. I did use a Dillon progressive for a while, but got rid of it due to priming issues.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
sourdough44

win 231 gets very high marks for many handgun uses, the 9mm & others. I have a few gen III Glock 40's & the chamber support is as much as my H&K's. I think it was more of an issue with older generation Glocks. I and many others reload for Glocks & other 'polygonal' rifled barrels. I usually reload 'plated' bullets, but have done some regular lead. You could always reload jacketed bullets, or split the difference & load plated bullets. The main thing is to watch for any lead buildup & keep the barrel clean. You will be fine.

My latest 9mm loads were 115 grn plated bullets with 4.2 grains of H Tightgroup. The fps with the chrony was right where I would like. I think 1087fps was the average. I used 1.10 col. I also loaded some 124 grn jacketed bullets with H Universal. With the small charges of fast burning powder you have to measure very carefully, & double check often.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:27 PM   #4
fineredmist

Stop looking and start loading. I have been loading for Glocks for years using my own brass and range pick up without any problems. People get in trouble by trying to make a 9mm into a 357 mag. If you keep your loads within the specs in the books you should not have any problem. Win 231 works well along with several other powders. I found accuracy to be best at about 80 - 85 % of the max powder charge.
Old February 9, 2010, 08:12 PM   #5
MR 8x57js

micksis86
I have a GLOCK 20 and i reload my brass all the time, Win & Fed. I have heard that lead rounds shoudnt be fired in GLOCKS due the the rifleing. What bullet weight will you be loading? W231 is a good powder, it really shines with 90- 115 Grains. 125-147 i would use a slower powder IE AA#7
Old February 9, 2010, 09:43 PM   #6
micksis86

I will probably use the 115-124 grain bullets and see which i get better reults with and run with them. Will Unique work well with these weights and how well will it meter through my Hornady LNL powder dispenser. I'll probably begin loading on my single stage untit i'm confident with it and the process and then move to my progressive. The only other pistol cartridge i've loaded for is 44 mag so i've got no experience with autoloaders. But I understand the importance of COAL and taper crimping when it comes to 9mm.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
dbxdm9

I reload with W231 -

My recipe -
- Brass: Win or Rem
- Charge: 4.1
- Bullet: Remington 124gr, FMJ
- OAL: 1.15
- Primer: Win small pistol
- Crimp: Taper

Cycles flawlessly in my XDm 9. No signs of excessive pressure.
Old February 13, 2010, 02:38 AM   #8
gschwertley

I handload for my Glock 19. I load jacketed bullets, mostly, but have used some plated ones lately.

W231 seems to be a good powder for the loads that I've assembled but I've used others.

With my Glock 19, bullet choice was more of an issue. Bullet weight seems to be less of a factor than profile. My Glock delivers the best accuracy with a bullet having a longer bearing surface. Bullets with a more gently-sloping ogive seem to do better than bullets with a more sharply-sloping one. Consequently, the lighter bullets seem to be less accurate because their reduced weight usually calls for a design providing less bearing surface. One of the bullets this gun likes best is the 130 gr. designed for the .38 Super.

There are often exceptions to rules, and the lighter weight conical bullets are the exception here. This is because even though they are shorter, the abruptly sloping profile increases bearing surface. For example, the (obsolete) 110 gr. Berry jacketed conical bullet (shaped kinda like a SWC) works very well.

One of the worst performers in my Glock is the bulk RP 115 gr. JHP, which has a very long ogive and short bearing surface.

My Star Model B sprays quite indiscriminately regardless of powder choice or bullet weight.

I've seen 9mm cases fired in Glocks that have the case bulged abnormally near the web. I've never experienced this with any of my handloads, regardless of receipe used. I load only to medium levels.
Old February 13, 2010, 10:26 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

millions served

Glock 9mm:

Sized case, new or used (I find Speer brass cases best overall).
Rainier 124g TCJ-RN.
5.6--6.0g Ramshot Silhouette; start of 5.6g.
OAL 1.130--1.155"; start OAL of 1.145".
CCI500 / WSP / Federal SP.
Finish using the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.

Av = 1030--1120fps.
Accuracy (from Glock) = excellent.

Not guessing........
Old February 14, 2010, 03:51 PM   #10
MR 8x57js

micksis86
I fine the powders that dosent take a lot room in the 9MM case work best for me IE AA #5 AA#7. Ive found that Unique works better in larger cases like the Colt 38 Super, 38 Special, Colt 45 Auto.
Old February 14, 2010, 09:23 PM   #11
ilmonster

I just started reloading 115 gr. Berry's plated bullets in range brass with 4.6 gr. of Hodgdon HP-38 (same powder of 231) and every round goes "bang" in my Gen 3 G19. No problems.
Old July 6, 2010, 10:11 PM   #12
Speak Up

No reloaded ammo in Glocks

Bullets chambered in a Glock DO NOT completely recess into the barrel leaving a portion of the bullet protruding. If said bullet is a reload the casing of said bullet is weak from previous use and will crack to vent gas out of the area that protrudes from your Glock barrel. Be safe and don't use reloads in a Glock.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old July 6, 2010, 10:42 PM   #13
engineermike

The only thing I have read about the Glock effect (Glocked) has to do with S&W 40 cases. I don't personally own a Glock, looked into getting one but settled on a Ruger P 95. I have met several people on the range that shoot Glock 9mm's and they reload. Your load reciepe sounds good and I too load with Win 231. As was recomended on the COL start out with 1.145 or 1.150 and work your way down to 1.100 or 1.110 and see whitch one works best. (Mine is 1.130 on 4.4 grains of Powder using Hornady 115 round nosed bullet) The Hornady's are very good bullets but expensive. I'm looking for something a little cheaper to shoot at the range. Load a few rounds and see if they slide into your barrel and if they do then set down and load a bunch and enjoy the savings.
Old July 7, 2010, 03:16 AM   #14
ISC

Speak up:
Before you start purporting to speak knowledgably about ammunition and reloading, know the difference between:

1) bullet
2) case
3) cartridge

I've shot plenty of reloads from Glocks and never had a problem with any of thrm or heard of problems with one exception: avoid lead bullets due to Glock's polygon rifling. I've researched that issue quite a bit and the big issue there is that you just need to clean the barrel more often due to increased fouling.
Old July 7, 2010, 12:03 PM   #15
demigod

I only shoot reloads in my G17. I have so much brass, it doesn't make sense for me to buy new ammo.

Berrys MFG 124 gr RN plated
4.3 grains of 231
Whatever primer I can find in the cabinet.

In my experience the Glock 9mm's run better on full powered ammo. Mild loads seem to cycle poorly and cause occasional malfunctions.
Old July 7, 2010, 12:22 PM   #16
oneounceload

Unique will work just fine, but IMO, you'll find Universal Clays to be cleaner burning - the load aspect are VERY similar
Old July 7, 2010, 11:05 PM   #17
MO. Shootin

Ok I wanted to ask this question for a while also.

Do you guys normaly keep a good count on how many times you reload a case for a glock?

If you do where do you personaly draw the line say maybe reload a case 5 times and then discard? Or do you just shoot it till the case mouth splits and scrap it?
Old July 8, 2010, 01:37 PM   #18
rtpzwms

What is a new round? I don't by factory ammo ever. I've been reloading rounds for my glock 17 since the day I got it. As far as counting the number of times a case is reloaded, I would rather inspect the case. A case that has been loaded with "soft" rounds will reload more than the one that is pushed to the limit every time.
Old July 8, 2010, 01:48 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
Bullets chambered in a Glock DO NOT completely recess into the barrel leaving a portion of the bullet protruding. If said bullet is a reload the casing of said bullet is weak from previous use and will crack to vent gas out of the area that protrudes from your Glock barrel. Be safe and don't use reloads in a Glock.
What a CROCK of you-know-what....sounds like it is spoken by someone who neither owns a Glock, nor reloads for one.........:barf:
Old July 8, 2010, 03:45 PM   #20
eviltravis

I've been shooting my reloads in my glock 17, and 19. They go bang every time. Has anyone here actually experienced any trouble first hand with reloaded ammo in a glock?
Old July 8, 2010, 05:00 PM   #21
cryogenic419

I load for my G17 longslide and have not had any issues. I use plated bullets and Hodgdon Universal Clays and have had very wonderful results.

All my Glocks are Gen 3 and I don't have any unsupported chamber issues.

As long as you're following established recipes, avoiding lead bullets in the Glock, and following safe reloading practices you should be fine. Take the time to inspect your brass before loading and after loading, check charge weights on a regular basis, check every so many rounds to make sure your setup is maintaining proper length. The biggest thing I follow is if a piece of brass is questionable,don't use it. I'd rather scrap a 5 cent piece of brass rather than blow up a $600 gun and god knows what else.
Old July 8, 2010, 07:32 PM   #22
oneounceload

I reload my 9mm empties the same amount if times I reload all my pistol, rifle and shotgun shells - until they split down the side......I have brass that has been reloaded over a dozen times between several 9mm - MOST of which have been in two Glocks