The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 9, 2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Gbro

The Order Is Placed.

I called my 10 year old Grandson tonight and placed an order for a deer next fall.
We had a little taste of the buck he shot this fall tonight and it sure is wonderful.
I guess this thread is aimed at,
How many of you get more enjoyment out of getting venison, or giving venison as a gift than having a freezer full?
Myself, back when I put more count on packing home meat I enjoyed my venison much more when I gave a bunch of it away and only had a few meals a year. Of course the wife never went along with me gifting out a big portion.
Old March 10, 2010, 12:27 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

GB, I always was fond of making calls to those I knew needed food when I had a piggy from a trap in the truck.

For the Independence Day festivities, i sold (very low cost to allow the man to feel he didn't get a free ride) a 40 pound pig, butchered it and then I fully prepped it for the grill so they wouldn't have to worry about the little details. My wife sure let me know how happy she was at my willingness to help others too
Brent
Old March 10, 2010, 01:08 AM   #3
Buzzcook

About half of the deer, fish, and fowl, goes to family and friends.
The exception is pheasants, I'm a greedy pig when it comes to them.
Old March 10, 2010, 06:12 AM   #4
bswiv

There is something primal about sharing what we harvest. It stirs the social animal that we are in the right direction.

At the end of every gator season Louann puts on a "gator ( NOT FOOTBALL!) party" where we invite everyone who hunted with us, and a bunch of family and friends, to a gator eating. She makes all sorts of gator food, from sausage balls to bar-b-cued ribs.

Does the same thing at at the end of hunting season. Loads the house with folks, many of whom bring game they have shot, and we share hog and venison and pheasants and whatever else the other folks have brought.

And at both of these events she sets up place for everyone to post pictures, a braging board of sorts. And we share lies and the food.............

And you are right in that every year someone will gift us with some elk or antelope or something, last year there was even whale ( Don't know what kind or if it had been taken care of properly but it was not very good IMHO.).

That sharing thing is important................
Old March 10, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Buzzard Bait

share you recipes

I asked a friends wife the other day how they cooked doves she said her husband brings them home and very carefully cleans and raps them up and freezes them and then when they are finally freezer burnt she throws them away. I think a lot of us would benefit from hearing about other hunters favorite recipes. You might even say that a fine meal of wild game adds flavor to the hunt
BB
Old March 10, 2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Hog Buster

Sharing game here has always been part of the culture. It’s gone on as long as I can remember. Not only game, but produce, meat, eggs, etc.

I guess that about half to three quarters of the game that I kill gets given away, along with fish, crawfish, eggs and vegetables. No one goes hungry here except by choice.

There’s a ton of game around here so during good weather there’s a cookout just about every weekend, hog, deer, catfish, crawfish, something. Family, friends and neighbors get together eat, drink, tell lies and usually leave with more than they came with.
Old March 10, 2010, 10:58 AM   #7

Hey, I don't mind sharing but..........why does everyone always want the backstraps????????

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old March 10, 2010, 05:31 PM   #8
markj

I always share, sure helps some folks out too. This last winter I shared out a 1/2 steer with family, some had a hard winter and was doing without.

I used to take pheasants to a Chinese resturant, our daughter went to school with theirs, anyway she would cook them up and call me.
Old March 11, 2010, 02:09 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

I have always enjoyed venison, in almost any preparation. (My family isn't like most. We like to enjoy the natural taste, rather than turning a whole damn animal into jerky or burger. ...Which is also why we butcher them ourselves.)

However, I have found myself eating less and less of it, in the last few years. Every time I plan a meal with venison, we do something else. Every time I defrost some to force myself to cook it - it's forgotten, or some obligation arises...

I love it, but have given away more meat in the last 4 years than I will eat in the next 5.

I guess it doesn't matter. Some one is enjoying it. I still get to enjoy the hunt. And, we butcher them ourselves, so nothing is cut wrong, wasted, or wrongfully turned into burger.
Old March 11, 2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Gbro

We used to process all our deer together many years back and it was always after season closed, kind of the fair share kind of thing that made for poor venison all around in my H O !, but anyway I never took any venison burger in those days as I just didn't care for it.
Funny how those old prejudices can spoil a good meal, and even good friendships when one isn't interested in giving something/someone a new chance.
My SIL made a batch of burger from this same little buck Logan harvested last fall and I lucked out being over when burgers were on the table and were they ever GOOD! And for 35 years I have been turning away venison burger.
I do believe it was because I was never in harmony with hanging deer for up to 2 weeks even in sub zero weather.
I have my own hunting shack and the rules are just like the sign on a 4+ lane road. its "0ne Way" = "My Way" you shoot a deer, load it up and take it home, although I process all the deer the Grand-Sons take, regardless of where they take them provided I am allowed. I just want to instill in them that they should not let them hang.
I want to think that maybe long after I am gone they will tell about how Granddad used to do it.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Magnum Mike

I used to always have mine made in to summer sausage then make meat, cheese and cracker baskets for gifts. nobody ever complained
Old March 11, 2010, 11:23 AM   #12
OscarTurner

My family has gone through some rough patches (health and financial) in the past couple years. I don't know how we would have made it without friends and relatives helping out by giving us food.

Through Facebook I met a friend I hadn't talked to for 25 years. I never told him I was having any troubles at all, but he gave me 30lbs of venison and some pork chops from his FIL's hog farm, just as a way of saying "hello". I am a man of faith so I see situations like these as Providence. I am determined to pass that on to someone else.

This past fall I was planning to get out and hunt some, but my health was again not good. Also I had no deer rifle and no money to buy one. This past week I found out I'm getting a deer rifle or two from my step father. Again, Providence. Next fall I WILL be well enough to hunt, I WILL bag a deer and I WILL pass these acts on someone else in need.

Oh and this chili is awesome: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Venison...li/Detail.aspx
Old March 13, 2010, 09:48 AM   #13
AZwarts

Buzzcook-
My buddy's dad just gave me about thirty pheasent, how do you cook them?
Old March 14, 2010, 10:42 AM   #14
James R. Burke

I love venision. In Michigan you can get a combo lic with some restrictions to it, for bigger bucks. Sometimes were I hunt you may get drawen for a doe permit. I dont over take, if the heard seems small I will limit myself to what I take etc. I like to have one done, and in the freezer. If the heard looks good that year were I am at, I will go for the second buck or a doe without yearlings with her. That deer I have processed, and give to a family that loves venision even more than me. They need the meat, I dont want to say there poor but I know it sure helps. Just seeing them happy when they get it all done and wrapped is worth it to me. Most the time with the combo I dont score. You need one with three points on one side, and the other with four points on one side. Of course they can have more. If you buy one lic you can take a buck with a 3" antler or bigger, but cannot go back and get the other lic. So if I dont get one, and me or my wife have a doe permit we will fill one, or maybe two if the heard looks good. I believe it is good to give to those that need it, and also not over take on the deer if the numbers are down. Thats just me.
Old March 14, 2010, 11:39 AM   #15
waterfowler

I do, especially when we taught our friends how to make jerky, they beg for more venison.