The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 2, 2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Dabull

9x18mm Makarov (Norinco) in a P-64

Does anyone know the grain size of the Norinco 9x18mm Makarov round? My specimen comes in a green cardboard box with the red Norinco symbol and simply says 50 cartridges on it. Headstamp is 71 on top and 93 on the bottom. Probably imported just before the Norinco ban in the mid 90s.

My concern is that it might be greater than 95 gr, and therefore unsafe for certain 9x18mm Mak guns such as the Polish P-64.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Doyle

Rounds heavier than 95 grns aren't unsafe in a P-64, just too heavy for the slide/spring combo to handle on a regular basis. It will fire and cycle the 115 grn stuff, but you won't be happy with either the accuracy nor the extra wear.

I keep an extra power recoil spring in mine (even for the 95grn ammo) just to help prevent the slide from slapping the back of the frame too hard as it cycles. If you do want to shoot something heavier than 95 grns, I definately wouldn't want to do it with the factory recoil spring.
Old December 2, 2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Dabull

Agree "unsafe" was poor word choice. I am worried about excessive wear. I posted this question elsewhere and got this:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...tion-Data-Post