The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
sw38+p

Glock 19: need help!!

I have a nice g19 w/ tru-glo night sights, trigger job, and ultimate trigger stop. I love shooting the 9 because it is cheaper to operate. I know that the 23 can be converted to a 9mm. I'm wishing I had a little more stopping power for cdw. My question is this: Can the 19 be converted to the 40 cal with a change of barrel and magazine? All suggestions and ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

BT
Old December 4, 2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Whirlwind06

9mm will get the job done if you do your part.
Don't think you can convert up, only down.
Even if you could would you what to bet you life on a after market conversion barrel?

Oh, and welcome to The Firing Line!
Old December 4, 2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Alleykat

I own 10mm, .45ACP and 9mm Glocks. I carry a G26 daily. Nothing wrong with 9mm, with modern h.p. ammo.
Old December 4, 2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Broadside Bob

No. The hole in the front of the slide is not big enough to accomodate a .40 barrel. You can go from a .40 to a 9 mm because they just make the 9 mm conversion barrel thicker to fill up the extra space. Note that a 9 mm conversion barrel is different from a 9 mm barrel like the one that came in your G19.

One other option would be to load it up with 124 gr +P ammo for carry and self defense. A .40 may still hold a slight advantage over that, but it is very slight. Plus you still have the higher capacity of a 9 mm.
Old December 4, 2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Adrian

Looking at Bar-Sto's website, I don't think it can; they'd make one if it were that easy. I'd think you would need a different slide, at least, to accept the larger barrel, and the consensus over at THR is that you can only go down in calibers, not up. Someone says the only slide that will fit on the 19/17/26 is a .22LR conversion.
Matt.25:40
Old December 4, 2008, 02:00 PM   #6
true_pair

40 0r 9

Hello and welcome to the forum. With the advancement in cartridge technology the stopping power discussion has become more philosophical one, rather than practical. I have been shooting 9mm for 15+ years and acquired a .45 ACP gun a few years back. My choice of concealed gun is one of my 9mm pistols because I can shoot it well. I carry federal Hydrashocks and believe that if placed correctly this ammo will provide more than enough stopping power.
Having said that if .40 is your preference then go with a new gun altogether. As someone else mentioned you can convert down not up.
Old December 4, 2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Agincourt

If you want to carry .40 you are best off just buying a .40. But Why? Caliber debates are fun and entertaining but in the end a pistol is a compromise. There is no sure "One Hitter Quitter" pistol caliber, men in combat sometimes shrug off rifle fire. .40 or .45 may give you a mathematical advantage, but multiple hits on vital areas give you a much better chance of winning then any magical "Stopping Power" a supposed round promises.

Keep in mind that whatever you can afford to shoot in .40 you can shoot almost double in 9mm. What do you think would help you more in a fight, the extra ooomph of the .40, or sending twice as many rounds downrange in training.

It sounds kind of like you want to train with the 9mm and shoot with the .40. I would recommend against that, the two rounds couldn't be more different and subjectively (Not scientifically) my .40's have had more perceived (felt sharper, more muzzle flip) recoil then any other gun I fired to include .45s. (Gigantic Revolvers excluded.)

I think your glock 19 is just fine, I would stick with it if I were you.
Old December 4, 2008, 02:20 PM   #8
sw38+p

g19

Thanks for all the helpful information. I agree totally that the 9mm is sufficient but I didn't know if it was worth the effort to go to the 40cal. From the info you guys provided I agree now that it is not. Thanks again for all the info, and the warm welcome to the forum. Looking forward to further discussions.

Good luck to all and carry safely.

BT
Old December 4, 2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Deaf Smith

Just use such as Winchester +p+ 127gr JHPs. Plenty good.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:41 PM   #10
xrmattaz

I traded my G23 today for a beautiful 2nd Generation G19.....I'm still well armed.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Shawn Dodson

The G19's slide breechface is milled for the 9mm cartridge. The .40 case head will not fit.
Old December 4, 2008, 11:04 PM   #12
hillbillyshooter

Can't convert up

You cannot convert a 19 to a .40 s&w. If you get a 23 you can get barrels for it in 40, 9mm, and .357 sig. If you were to do this you do need 9mm magazines because the 23 mags only hold .40 and .357 sig. Got a 23 with the intention on getting the barrels, never did and love the .40. Keep the 19 and get a 23 or a 27!
Old December 5, 2008, 10:00 AM   #13
sw38+p

Sounds like a good excuse for me to get another glock.

Thanks again

Tags
conversion , glock