The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2014, 11:07 PM   #1
HuntingLikeABadHabit

Kodiak Mauser 30-06 questions

I recently bought a Kodiak mauser in 30-06 for $200. I am not sure if I am going to use the action for a build or just finish it out the way it is and tag deer with it. I do plan on upgrading the trigger and replacing the bolt shroud as well as placing it in a better stock with a bedded action and floating barrel. The biggest question I have right now is the barrel. It has strong rifling and a good shine to it but I ran across a couple of blemishes that concerned me and I need a little expertise with.

The first is just below the crown (pics attached). It looks as if someone may have put a drill bit to it right a 1/16" deep. The barrel wall is around 7/32" thick at the crown. Would this blemish be an issue for anything other than cosmetic?

The second is two crudely filled holes that do not appear to go fully through the barrel wall. I do not see any distortion on the bore. Pics are attached of these as well.

I would like to use the barrel if it shoots accurate because a re-barrel would mean it sitting in the safe for a while til I can cough up the money to have it done.

And on a final note, what does anyone know about the quality of these firearms? How do they shoot? How accurate are they typically? The action is beautiful smooth and I haven't even polished it yet but that doesn't hold any weight if it shoots 5" groups at 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (53.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed1.jpg (28.6 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by HuntingLikeABadHabit; February 16, 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old February 17, 2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Jimro

Someone took the iron sights off and did a poor job filling them in.

Mauser rifles are generally pretty bomb proof, FN commercial M98 actions were considered the top of the line over the Santa Barbaras or Yugo actions. All the Kodiak Co mauser's I've seen listed were advertised as FN actions.

Shoot a few rounds, see how she handles.

Jimro