The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 29, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
imp

Which would be more feasible?

I have the perfect rifle in mind. Its a ruger m77 hawkeye tactical that takes the same 10rd magazines as the GSR.

The question is, which would be easier/cheaper/possible? Buying the Hawkeye and modifing it to accept the magazines, or buy the GSR and a hogue stock and hope it fits or can be made to fit, and just deal with the slightly shorter barrel?

PS Please dont ask what I will do with this rifle, i dont know, I just want it.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2
stubbicatt

I like the way you approach life! So I won't ask what you will do with the rifle.

If you are looking for a sort of tactical heavy barrel rifle which will accept the 10 round magazines, you *might* consider the CZ550V, it uses the CZ750 10 round mags without any further modification.

Else I would get the Ruger rifle you want, and modify the bottom metal to accept the mags you wish.

My reasoning is, that the core of the deal is the rifle you want... it will shoot as you want it to shoot for whatever purpose you eventually devise, whether with 5 rounds or 10. To increase the magazine capacity is something you can do as time and your wen dictate. To get the GSR and try to change out the stock etc., and end up with a rifle other than what you want, seems retrograde.

Last edited by stubbicatt; January 30, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
imp

Ugggh, now I have to go find a CZ varmint to fondle. That would be a viable alternative though, so thanks for the heads up stubbicat.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:00 PM   #4
emcon5

Does Ruger have a custom shop?
Old January 30, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
jmr40

I'd bet it would be simpler and cheaper to buy the GSR and modify a stock.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:29 PM   #6
dwwhite

If you could buy the GSR bottom metal (plastic) by itself, it would be about 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. If you can't buy just the bottom metal, I would recommend starting with the GSR. I don't know of another DBM for Ruger rifles.

I'm currently modifying a boat paddle stock stock to fit my GSR. If it weren't for the fact that I'm swapping it to fit my left handed action, the only mod necessary would me the removal of some material from the sides and front of the factory mag well. For a normal RH stock (i.e.Hogue etc.) with a normal RH action, I think it would be an easy job.

In other words, if you could purchase the Hawkeye tactical, plus the GSR DBM(p), and you're even remotly handy with a dremel, it shouldn't be a hard project. Just go slow, slow, slow.

Edit:
The rumor mill also indicates that there may be some synthetic stocks coming to the market for the GSR. These would readily accept Ruger bottom metal, and would only require opening the barrel channel to fit the Hawkeye tactical. However, at the moment, they're still vaporware.

Last edited by dwwhite; January 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM.