The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 08:11 AM   #1
blueglass

springfield trp disassembly

i've field stripped it.
how do i take it apart completely.
does someone have a good link to a video or something?
thanks.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Baba Louie

Older threads come in handy at times...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292798

Never thought about a video... probably too old school myself. Try this link, maybe print it out and keep the printout handy?
http://coolgunsite.com/disassembly/disassembly.htm

Of course a series 80 differs from earlier models... don't know about the TRP in that regards (firing pin safety block and all)
http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

Since I've got Kuhnhausen's books, I just tend to head that way, do a re-read to make sure I dont forget a step or two in the process. Ya ought to buy a copy... maybe?

Once you do take it down and reassemble, do it again. Maybe one more time. Probably don't have to do it blindfolded, probably shouldn't truth be told. I used to watch my Dad do it while he was yakking at friends, he had done it a time or two and his hands knew their way around the bits and pieces without much apparent thought. But he did make me read Kuhnhausen's instructions a time or two before he let me go farther than a fieldstrip.

I'm sure someone else will come along with the proper video... but hope the above helps a tad.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 18, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
g.willikers

thehighroad.org has a very good 1911 section as stickies at the top of their gunsmith section.
Also the m1911.org forums.