The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Buzzard Bait

problem with A5 Browning

Browning A5 20 gauge older gun maybe 60s vintage. This gun does not eject the last shot. Shooting skeet with it, load two rounds first shot cycles normal and loads next round which fires then that shell hangs in the port still held by the extractor and is kind of hard to get out. The gun is clean seems to be in good shape first round is fine and ejects and loads next round ok. Any ideas?
bb
Old November 2, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
SauerGrapes

This is a shot in the dark. I've never heard of this particular problem before.

Take the butt stock off and remove the spring and clean it real well and lube sparingly. That rod and spring regulate the bolt.

You'll need to either buy a couple special screwdrivers or grind your own. If your not comfortable doing this, I suggest seeking some professional help.

I was always under the impression, Browning made the screws that way to keep people from tinkering. With the correct tools, it's not a big deal. Chances are, the gun has never been apart.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old November 2, 2012, 03:38 PM   #3
shortwave

SauerGrapes,

I know the OP appreciates your response and will Thank You when he reads your post. I want to Thank You as well for your response and will be paying close attention to this thread as the A5 is a shotgun that I have a couple of and know very little about when it comes to diagnosing/repair issue's with them.

Too, thankfully, I've not had any issue's with either of mine.
Old November 2, 2012, 04:49 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

If you go to www.midwestgunworks.com in the Browning area they have listed in pdf form the factory service manual for down load.

The manual will take you through service and disassembly steps for the Model A5.
Old November 2, 2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Goatwhiskers

Been wrenching on Brownings longer than I like to think about. The advice about screwdrivers is spot on. The Europeans like those narrow screw slots. Get you some hollow ground driver tips and use the correct thickness and width, American taper screwdrivers WILL bugger the slots. Most Brownings suffer from lack of real maintenance due to the inherent reliability of the design and usually really need to be disassembled for a thorough cleaning--amazing how much crap can accumulate over the years. If you don't feel comfortable taking it down take it to a competent 'smith. In the interest of getting it running, the advice about the action spring is good altho they usually should be replaced along with the recoil spring. While you're at it, clean the mag tube well, lube lightly, then wipe off with a clean rag and the friction mechanism will be correctly lubricated, don't over lubricate. Make sure the friction ring is correctly installed for your loads with the gap in the outer spring matching the gap in the bronze ring. 'Bout as much as I can tell you without seeing the gun. Good luck. Goatwhiskers the Elder