The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 3, 2012, 07:52 AM   #1
duelist1954

Video - Shooting .44 caliber 1851 Navy Revolvers

Of course real Colt 1851 Navy revolvers were only made in .36 caliber, but these .44 caliber versions are pretty popular with today's cap and ball shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV38iQwySCs
Old February 3, 2012, 09:36 AM   #2
OutlawJoseyWales

I always enjoy your videos, that was fun.
Thanks for doing them.
OJW
Old February 3, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Beagle333

Good video. That was fun! Thank you.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:12 AM   #4
g.willikers

Always enjoyable.
Thanks, once again.
But one question:
What's all that white stuff on the ground?
Old February 3, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Beau Bo

Never knew much about black powder before. Learned a lot. Thanks for posting...
Old February 14, 2012, 02:07 PM   #6
sebou

That's enjoyed with .36 navy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZowxeCTmug
Old February 14, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
sandman_nv

great video as always.

looked like good fun, esp in the snow.
Old February 15, 2012, 04:10 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Yep!

I liked it
Old February 15, 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Jetchlnger

I'm brand new to this sport and am trying to learn. Your video was very helpful, thank you!!
Old February 15, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

Interesting. Didn't look like he was wearing hearing protection. Hope he was, bad example otherwise.
Once, I thought, the clang happened before the shot.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

RM1776

Thought I saw the hearing protection in the form of inserts.

If the clang came before he report of the pistol it may have been because the microphone was behind the target. Didn't see the shot but might be an explanation.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:41 AM   #12
deerslayer303

Excellent video! I always enjoy watching them, keep em coming!
Old February 15, 2012, 10:03 AM   #13
mykeal

In one of the scenes there was another shooter on the range. I think it was the report from his shooting that you heard.

I do have one request - looking down the barrel of a loaded revolver and then having it go off can be very disturbing to someone who's had that experience in real life. In the future I'd very much appreciate it if you would warn the viewers in advance that there will be such a scene in the video. I'm not asking that you not post the video, just realize that not everyone finds it a pleasant experience, please avoid surprising them and give them the chance to opt out of seeing it.

I've made that request on this forum before, and based on that experience I expect that there are those here who will find it necessary to make disparaging remarks, name calling and the like. Just understand in advance that I would like nothing better than for the experience of being shot to not matter, but that choice isn't always available. So, flame away, kids.
Old February 15, 2012, 02:17 PM   #14
arcticap

That's why I don't like horror movies but I end up watching them anyway.
It must be all of the thrills, chills, drama and suspense!

Last edited by arcticap; February 15, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:10 PM   #15
duelist1954

Rifleman1776, I think using big old range muffs would kill the historical ambiance, but, in the closeups you should be able to see the tails of the blue ear plugs I'm using, sticking out of my ear holes.

Last edited by duelist1954; February 15, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 07:14 PM   #16
duelist1954

mykeal, I understand your position. I've been shot at a couple of times, but not from close enough to stare into the barrel.

I'm not sure what kind of warning would really be useful, so I suppose you should assume that view will be in any video of mine that you come across.

I think it is interesting, and enlightening for someone who has never been in that position.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:24 PM   #17
mykeal

Possible examples:

"This video contains a scene in which live rounds are fired towards the viewer."

"This (thread/post/video) contains a (photo/scene) in which the barrel of a firearm is pointed at the viewer."

Maybe not perfect, but better than nothing.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:32 PM   #18
Hawg

I don't understand why people get so bent on seeing a gun fired towards the camera. JEEZ, it's not like they're in any danger.
Old February 16, 2012, 06:51 AM   #19
mykeal

Because, at least for a very few, they've seen that view for real, when the danger was real, and the gun went off, and their lives changed. And the terror of that moment will never, ever go away. Being surprised by that view when you didn't expect it will stop your heart beating, and you won't sleep that night because if you do the dreams are horrific. PTSD is real, it can be treated, but it never goes away completely.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:24 AM   #20
noelf2

Another great video. Only comment is to edit that "S" off the end of Armi San Marco.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:34 AM   #21
noelf2

Mykeal, Your request reminds me of a story that I always told my kids at dinner time when they disclosed that the meal didn't appeal to them:

Once there was pack of wolves that chased down and killed an elk. While they were feasting, one of the wolves said "Hey guys? I don't like elk. We need to catch something special for me!" The wolves paused and looked at their pack mate for a second, then at each other. They shrugged and went back to feasting.

I think duelist's advise to you is if you're running with the pack, expect to eat elk. Either that, or just enjoy watching us feast. No offence, and I mean no disrespect.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:41 PM   #22
OutlawJoseyWales

I enjoy the vids very much. Very well done, professional camara et al, and no "creep factor" which is a big thing with me. Getting fired at doesn't bother me, but youtube videos made by creeps with guns, scares me badly.

However, I do not have PTSD. That's a real thing, it's a big thing, and I know and have helped several in the past with this terrible condition.

What IS-IS.
I commend mykeal for speaking up for himself. It took courage to do so. I never thought about it, never even occured to me that being fired at from Duelist's smoke wagons would be anything that would cause any difficulty. I am thankful to those who have served this country, whether in law enforcement or military.

I have experience with helping those in various stages of mental and emotional difficulties. We are such a great nation that we have the ability to help those who only a generation ago, would have been thrown out and left on their own. It is wonderful that we can even have this experience of seeing the world, although only a wee bit, through the eyes of someone who has experienced much mental anguise.

Thanks again Mykeal for speaking up for yourself, we would have never known. It's OK to be who you are. God bless, may you find a greater peace in your future years.
OJW
Old February 16, 2012, 09:54 PM   #23
mykeal

noelf2-
Your allegory doesn't apply, and here's why. I'm not requiring the pack change its diet; I'm asking that it simply let the members know what the prey is so they can make an informed decision whether to proceed or not.

Another reason it doesn't apply is that, while it correctly describes how animals operate, we're human, and we operate entirely differently. It's perfectly reasonable for a pack of animals to demand individuals subjugate their needs to those of the pack leader; that's how animals live. But humans have additional qualities setting them apart from pack animals, one of which is compassion for others.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:15 AM   #24
noelf2

Duelist - Was any modification required to get the ASM grip assembly to fit on the pietta? I have an ASM 1851 and like the grip better than the pietta's I've handled and would consider doing the same thing.

Mykeal - It's a fable, not an allegory. It doesn't
Quote:
correctly describes how animals operate
The animals are anthropomorphized to show more human emotional traits. In my fable, the wolves at least gave the request some thought, not possible naturally (neither was the request for that matter). The first few times I told the wolf story, the dissatisfied child still requested compassion (can I have pizza instead?), but after that, only starting to tell the wolf story would cause moaning and rolling eyes of the dissatisfied child. They understood that the story was just an amusing way for me to say "No". Eventually, they just asked to be excused. The fable applies. You are just reading too much into it.

Last edited by noelf2; February 17, 2012 at 09:20 AM.