The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 26, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
dabigguns357

chambering malfunction

I just got back from the range and the oddest thing happen,every time i got to the end of a clip/mag out of my 3gen 4046 .40 cal,the last shell would fail to feed right and end up with the nose facing strait up pinched in the slide.I would clear the shell and put it back in gun and it would fire.I tried firing rapid and slow but the same thing happend every time with every clip/mag and only on the last shell.

I thought mabye it was the ammo but it did it with winchester t series hps,pmc starfires,and even some fed hst 165gr hps.I went through a total 4 boxes of ammo and the only thing other than ball ammo was my fed 180 gr hps.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Magazine issues are the most common source of failure in self-loaders. A weak spring or misshaped fingers at the top of the magazine could cause this. Try another magazine.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 27, 2009, 06:13 PM   #3
oldandslow

dbg, 2/28/09

The SW 3rd generation pistols are some of the most reliable, quality pistols made (I have the 4566TSW, 4516-1, 5906, 6906, and 3914). It sounds like your slide is cycling before the last round is elevated enough for the breech to catch the cartridge. As the above poster recommends this may be related to a weakened mag spring. Other causes include too strong a recoil-spring (the slide rebounds before going all the way to the rear, shortening the time available for the last round to be pushed up into position) or sometimes lightly loaded reloaded ammo (not your case if using factory ammo).

To start, replace the mag spring (and probably your other mag springs if they are all of equal age and use). If that is no help, replace the recoil spring with a factory-weight one. Let us know how it works.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 28, 2009, 06:38 AM   #4
dabigguns357

I'm going to buy all new mag springs and a new recoil spring just to be sure.I'll let you know and thanks.