The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 30, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Elbows

New guy, couple of very simple questions.

Hey guys,

I haven't been on this site in ages! I recently decided to get my buddy an Old West six gun for a belated wedding gift. I admit I know NOTHING about them. We'll likely just be having fun at the range, nothing for defense, and I doubt we'll have the funds or time to get into CAS anytime soon (though it sure is awfully tempting).

I gave in today and purchased a Uberti Cattleman 1873 for him in .357 w/ a 4.75" barrel.

Questions:
1) Like most revolvers in .357 mag this gun will accommodate .38 special correct?
2) Is this a safe good gun to enjoy some Old West shootin'?

I, on the other hand have been trying to resist buying an 1851 Navy Conversion from Uberti in .38 special. I was excited and about to place an order when I saw people saying they were dangerous to carry loaded. Any legitimate backing to this - and anything that can be done about it?

It's by far my favorite styled Old West gun, and now I'm holding off until I can verify if this is gun is good to go. I'd only be carrying it loaded in leather at the range. Hope you guys can square me away, and tell me the impulse buy for my buddy was worthwhile!

Thanks in advance!
Old July 30, 2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Newton24b

the uberti cattleman, good revolver it is popular on the cas circuit and is popular just to have. Its a 357 and as such will use 38 special and 38 special +p.

as the the 1851 navy cartridge conversion.
it has no safety system other then the traditional one of carrying hammer down on an empty chamber. as you simply plan to use it for a range gun that is no issue.

every european gun manual i can find says not to load the gun until you need it, but the problem is its kind of impossible to do that if you intend to use it for preventive work. if mr black bear is chewing on your left arm, you wont be able to load the revolver with your right hand now will ya?
Old July 30, 2011, 10:01 PM   #3
ZVP

A gun without ammo is a Club!

Just the Lawyers protecting the companies.
ZVP
Old July 30, 2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Elbows

Therein lies my question. Please pardon my ignorance as I've shot perhaps two revolvers in my life.

The 1851 has no safety, so there is no ability to de-cock the gun on a live round? I don't think I'd have an issue running a load of 5 instead of 6. And obviously being a revolver, I wouldn't have a problem pulling it - thumbing it, firing, and re-holstering correct?

What would make a Cattleman safer by comparison? As long as my gun won't be going off and hollowing out the better part of my leg, I'm interested.
Old July 31, 2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Bill Akins

If your cattleman is like the two I own, there are two safeties. One is when you pull the hammer back just a little and it locks in the safe mode, removing the firing pin from the percussion cap. The other safety is when you push the cylinder's arbor pin back further blocking the hammer from contacting the percussion cap. I have two of the Uberti cattleman in .45 colt so I know of what I speak. You can use full power .357 loads or .38 special or .38 special plus P loads. No problem. It is a very safe single action revolver.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 31, 2011, 02:51 AM   #6
Hawg

That cylinder pin safety is a PITA, I ground mine off.
Old July 31, 2011, 03:22 AM   #7
DG45

Don't know anything about the Cattleman and not much about the 1851, but I have a run of the mill cap and ball (not converted for cartridges) Pietta replica of a Confederate 1851 Navy knock off. It has notches (or pinholes, I guess is what you'd call them) between each of the cylinder chambers so the hammer can rest in them midway between the cylinder chambers without coming into contact with the capped nipples. I don't know if thats the case on all 1851's and I know nothing about the 1851 cartridge conversions , but if you have those pin holes in the back of your cylinder, I think the intent was probably to enable a shooter to load 6 instead of 5. I'm not saying it's perfectly safe. I don't know. There may be a danger of the hammer slipping out of the holes, or something, but I'm sure there are people on this thread who do know if it's perfectly to carry the gun loaded with 6 that way, and whether the cylinders of those converted to cartridges have the same setup.
Old July 31, 2011, 04:00 AM   #8
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
That cylinder pin safety is a PITA, I ground mine off.
They do come in handy if you have children or grand children around the house. You'd be surprised what they can find even carefully hidden and get in to.

I find the cylinder pin/arbor safety to be no problem whatsoever. When I want to shoot I simply depress the cylinder pin release pin so that I can move the cylinder pin/arbor forward removing it from its holding the hammer away from the primer. There are two settings on the cylinder/arbor pin. One is for firing and one moves the pin rearward so that it sticks out and blocks and prevents the hammer's firing pin from contacting the primer.

You can of course leave it in the forward position so it never blocks the hammer if you desire. But.....it is nice to have a safety that is not obvious and that a child or even an uninformed adult could not figure out how to release or overcome to make the revolver fire. While I knowing exactly what to do can reset it to fire in a half second.

Why did you find it a hassle Hawg? If it bothered you why not just leave it in the fire position and not bother grinding its safety length off? I mean only you would know it had the safety position. Just never move it to the safety position. Why grind it off?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 31, 2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
I find the cylinder pin/arbor safety to be no problem whatsoever. When I want to shoot I simply depress the cylinder pin release pin so that I can move the cylinder pin/arbor forward removing it from its holding the hammer away from the primer. There are two settings on the cylinder/arbor pin. One is for firing and one moves the pin rearward so that it sticks out and blocks and prevents the hammer's firing pin from contacting the primer.
Mine is a black powder frame.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Don't know anything about the Cattleman and not much about the 1851, but I have a run of the mill cap and ball (not converted for cartridges) Pietta replica of a Confederate 1851 Navy knock off. It has notches (or pinholes, I guess is what you'd call them) between each of the cylinder chambers so the hammer can rest in them midway between the cylinder chambers without coming into contact with the capped nipples.

A Remington has safety notches between the chambers, a Colt has pins between the chambers and a hole for them in the hammer. Cartridge conversions AFAIK do not. I always let my hammer down between chambers on 73's but with the modern .45 having larger case heads than originals that may not be possible as the firing pin wont fit between the case heads.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Elbows

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll pick up the 1851, and just download it until I get the hang of it, or figure out a suitable alternative.

I keep thinking in terms of semi-auto, so I wasn't realizing that with the 1851 I'll draw, fire, and if I holster, the hammer is sitting on a dead round, so it should be safe. Man, this wheel gun stuff is tricky.