The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 26, 2014, 09:38 PM   #1
oldknotty

really hooked on BP

I went out and shot my two revolvers this weekend and boy was it ever the best time i ever had shooting . I am well and truly hooked on the Bp guns now so i have a question far anyone out there that knows . I have a strong liking for civil war weaponry and i am on the look out for a good deal on an 1861 Springfield rifled musket . I would prefer a ready to shoot type but a kit is not out of the question either . Who makes a good rifle and what is a good price to pay if i should find a used one for sale in good condition .Don't forget i am a real rookie here so any advice will be gratefully received .I am so hooked i am selling my treasured bass and amp to pay for my addictions :-)
Old Knotty
Old May 26, 2014, 10:02 PM   #2
Trum4n1208

I know Cabela's in Louisville has one. It'd be a two hour drive for you, but just thought you'd want to know.
Old May 27, 2014, 05:26 PM   #3
chaz12

1861s are generally pricey, more than I am willing to pay for 1860s technology. There are three suppliers that you see most often, Dixie Gun Works, Pedersoli, and Armisport. Dixie is an importer and I don't know off hand who makes the musket they sell.

The typical price on gunbroker for a new 1861 is 850 dollars and up. I did see a used one in good condition on gunbroker recently that was listed at 600 dollars. It was there for many weeks, so you could have gotten it at that price if you had bid. That is the lowest price I have ever seen on one.

Chaz
Old May 28, 2014, 12:24 AM   #4
Hellgate

Check these guys out, it is the North/South skirmish association classifieds. Here you will find new and used Civil War era rifled muskets. I've gotten rifles off this site.

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/forumdi...For-Sale-Items
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old May 28, 2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Knotty

I think it is great that you have become a devoted BP shooter.

If you search around, you will find a good deal on a musket.

Best of luck.
Old May 28, 2014, 01:37 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Follow what Hellgate says . . . . it's a good place to start and you never know what you'll run across.

Used ones show up on GB as well. I used to shoot an original 1861 at one time when I was shooting NSSA. For some reason, the 1861 model just sort of "stands out". That said though . . . I participated in a long range shoot one time at Camp Grayling many years ago on the 1,000 machine gun range. We had two man teams - a shooter and a spotter. I shot my 61 for a while and then switched to my friends 3 band Enfield - I did very well with that one!

As you look, don't rule out some of the other models (repros) - the 1855, 1861, 1863/64, Enfield - all can be fine shooters. At my age now, I wish I could find a good 1841 Mississippi - I shot a friends many years ago and it also was a great shooter. A nice looking firearm!

Good luck with your search. Like any firearm . . . you accuracy is not only going to depend on the condition of the barrel - but on the minie ball / bore fit. I used to shoot an early Remington Zouave (repro) at times just for fun - my minies were undersize as dropped from my mold and every one would "key-hole" and show up on the backer board when we shot clays. Our shooting team "leader" would get so bent out of shape as he couldn't figure out which one of us was shooting them. A few of us used to really chuckle about it as it would ruffle his feathers but he never did figure out it was me. Most of us were shooting for fun . . he was way too serious! :roll eyes:

Glad you had such a good time shooting! It only gets better!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 28, 2014, 03:34 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

What Hellgate suggested. Shop the North-South Skirmish Association for a used rifle-musket. The only drawback is that they throw a lot of lead (so fewer shots per pound).