The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1
hilblly

RCBS Precision Mic or Stoney Point OAL

Recently bought a RCBS Precision Mic for my .270 win. I can't seem to get the bullet seating contraption to work correctly. The extractor on my rifle won't pull the setup out of the chamber. I have tried gently pushing from the muzzle with a dowel but haven't gotten satisfactory results. Have read the instuctions thoroughly and followed them closely. Also tried several different combinations of tightening the set screw down also without satisfactory results. I bought the tool for the headspace aspect for setting my shoulder back. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Is the Stoney Point OAL gauge super accurate?
Thanks in advance for the help
Mike
Old November 4, 2007, 07:47 AM   #2
UGH

Super accurate ? Lets put it this way, It takes getting a feel for it is more like it. But once you do yes I have found it to be accurate. I use a dowel when I use the Stoney Point gage to push the bullet back as you described, All the while keeping a light pressure on both until I get a good idea of where the bullet is just touching the lands. I usually measure 10 times and record each measurement. This method has served me well I'm glad I took the time to learn how to use this tool as the time spent was well worth the accuracy I get.