The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 3, 2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Mike Weber

Gary! Something that might interest you?

I have an old box of Winchester Bullets that are for the Winchester Model 1876 Rifle in .45-75 Caliber. These were found probably 20 years ago in an old barn in Northern California I have this complete box along with a couple dozen loose bullets identical to these. Here are some pics

These are a 350 grain factory bullet for the 45-75 Winchester Cartridge.
I contacted the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody Wyoming and they were unable to provide any information regarding these or give an estimate of their collector value. Couldn't find any reference to them in the Standard Catalog Of Winchester. I then contacted the International Cartridge Collectors association website All they could tell me was that a full intact box like this in this particular caliber was extremely rare and valuable. One of them linked me to an auction site where a full box of the much more common bullets for the 44-40 WCF had recently sold for $800. I believe these bullets date from the 1870's and probably no later than the 1880's Any ideas as to their value?
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old June 3, 2014, 03:56 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sorry Mike. I've no idea as to their cost. Best bet is to contact an auction house like Butterfields or at least peruse their catalogs.

BTW, when I was at a museum we had a policy of not appraising anything. Our curators would inform the owner about the object in question and if the owner was so inclined, to donate it to the museum.

After you wash your hands with soap and hot water to remove any oils or dirt that may stain the box, might I suggest you get cotton padding or acid free tissue paper and an acid free box to store it in. Put the cotton or acid free paper (rolled up on the bottom of the box. The place the box o' bullets in and fill in the sides with more cotton or rolled up acid free paper. This will prevent the box and its contents from shifting. Repeat for the lid. I learned that stuff from our paper conservators.
Old June 3, 2014, 06:52 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

What a great piece of history! Follow Gary's advice on the preservation please. Those belong in a museum . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 3, 2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Mike Weber

Thanks Gary I'll try contacting Butterfields. They have been carefully handled, packaged and stored.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.