The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2014, 09:05 AM   #1
JN01

Cimarron's Cowboy Comp action

What is the deal with the Model P? According to Cimarron, it supposedly "eliminates weaknesses associated with the 19th century design of the 1873 ColtĀ® single action".

So what is upgraded?

Also, for those who own one, do the bolts need to be worked on (re-shaping, smoothing) as the Uberti percussion revolvers sometimes do?
Old May 19, 2014, 05:23 PM   #2
45 Dragoon

They are prob. refering to the antiquated flat springs and that they have been "updated" to wire springs! I have an El Patron Comp. that features "those" springs and a lower, wider hammer spur. Love the gun hate those kinda springs!! I replaced the combo with flats that I tuned and hardened, polished and fire blued the screws. MUCH better FEELING and action and the timing is perf.!!!
I'm sure its a nice gun but ( like I told um when I bought mine) I'll take it home and fix it!! I did and they couldn't belive the diff.!!! I'll just say, ALL the Italian stuff needs to be "finished"!

45 Dragoon
Old May 19, 2014, 07:20 PM   #3
H.W. French

Cowboy Comp

The "Cowboy Comp" action refers mainly to coil hand spring that replaces the more traditional flat hand spring. This is standard on all base models. The action on a bone stock Model P is OK, but a good action job by a reputable smith will greatly enhance it's overall performance and durability. A Cimarron Evil Roy or Uberti's equivalent, the El Patron, are tuned up stateside after they are imported though I am unsure who does the work on the Uberti's.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:02 PM   #4
45 Dragoon

It looked like Wolf springs were installed and a thin sided bolt (left arm) on my E.P.C. I took the wires out and replaced with flats. Lightened the main to 4 lbs. Sculpted the bolt. I'm happy but may replace the hand with a trad. spring attached .

45 Dragoon
Old May 20, 2014, 03:38 PM   #5
JN01

Thanks for the clarification. A coil hand spring, though not traditional, would be a plus to me as the original flat hand spring seems to be somewhat fragile.
Old May 20, 2014, 05:11 PM   #6
45 Dragoon

Well, they are way over tensioned. A hand tuned hand spring can last the life of the gun.
The problem with a coil is the tension is constant. It is fairly easy to make a Ruger throwby (when the cylinder out runs the point of lock up). With a tuned flat, you can have virtually free spin till the last second and the hand puts the brakes on the next ratchet comming up, tbereby avoiding throwby. Thats the beauty of the "old " stuff !!! It works far better than most will ever know because they never have one set up like it should be!! You see, the hand has two jobs. Everybody knows it rotates the cylinder but few realize it puts the brakes on it as well.

45 Dragoon

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; May 20, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old May 20, 2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
You see, the hand has two jobs. Everybody knows it rotates the cylinder but few realize it puts the brakes on it as well.
Absolutely correct! That's why you don't want the hand spring tuned so light that the cylinder spins forever. The hand needs to exert a little bit of braking action to help prevent throwing by.
Old May 20, 2014, 06:53 PM   #8
45 Dragoon

Thats right. Thanks Driftwood.