The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
James41

Dillion XL650

I'm thinking of getting a Dillion XL650. Does anyone have one of these and what do you think of it.
Old October 31, 2007, 04:01 PM   #2
swmike

Have one that I bought a couple of months ago. Been wanting one for years. Love it. I took the advice of Forum members and got it with the case feeder. I now load in an hour what used to take all day. If you load several calibers make sure to invest in an extra tool-head for each. If you have money left over, a powder measure for each tool head too.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 31, 2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Chief-7700

Have had mine for six months or so. Love it!!!
Must have items:
Casefeeder
Spare parts kit
Powder Check system
Aluminum roller handle
Primer flip tray
Many primer pickup tubes
D-Terminator Electronic Scale
Tool holder and wrench set
Strong mount system
5K of primers
8 pounds of powder
5K of bullets and brass

Chief-7700
Old October 31, 2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Alleykat

I've been using a 650 for a few years now. Wish I'd come off the $$$ and bought one when I first started reloading. Take a look at the RCBS Lockout Die, instead of the Dillon Powder Check system. The RCBS is mechanical and pretty much foolproof...and it's less expensive than the Dillon system.

Also suggest that you skip Dillon dies and go with Lee.
Old October 31, 2007, 08:31 PM   #5
toolguyb

I've had my 650 for nearly 1 year, and my only regret is not buying sooner. I purchased the 650 with 2 extra toolheads, stands, and powder measures. I use it to load 223, 9mm, and 40 s&w all with lee dies. I bought the case feeder also. The machine does nothing but load ammo well and fast. The only thing to slow me down is stopping to put primers in the pickup tubes. I had 1 instance where I had a 223 case misfeed and crushed the slide piece from casefeeder to shellplate. Called Dillon and had part in 2 days at no cost to me. I know others that have needed parts and received them quick at no cost. Overall it is a great machine and has a company that will stand behind it. The 650 cost a little more, but is worth it imho!
Old November 1, 2007, 12:29 AM   #6
donttellthewife

I have loaded on the 650s for a couple years and have loaded many 1000s of rounds. If your going to put a lot of lead down range they are the way to go. Among other things already mentioned, the power trimmer is another great accessory for trimming rifle cases

[IMG][/IMG]
Old November 1, 2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Vinnie's Dad

I had a 650 for about 6 months before selling it to get the 550. The auto-indexing feature is nice, but I found it more troublesome than it was worth. I have been reloading many years on the rock chucker, pro 2000 progressive, 650 & 550. For my money the 550 can't be beat. I understand the "time" factor that everyone talks about with the 650, but unless you are shooting thousands of rounds a month it might be overkill.

Thats just my thoughts. The 650 is a great machine, but I would also take a look at the 550 and determine which one best fits your needs.
Old November 1, 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

I've had a 650, with a case feeder, for about 3 years now - and it's worth every penny. Its a great machine / puts out first class rounds.

I'd never go back to a non-indexing or non-automatic loader - not to say the 550 is a bad machine, it isn't - but it isn't as good a machine as the 650 either.

The 550 is manual indexed and does not have a "powder check" station - the 650 has both. But the 650 does not do as many rifle calibers as the 550 does. If you need some of the rifle calibers that are only offered in the 550 then consider it. But the powder check station alone - is a deal breaker for me - and makes the difference in why I recommend a 650.
Old November 6, 2007, 02:28 PM   #9
GuateShooter

Buyit, its fast, simply, you are going to love it!