The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 7, 1999, 12:54 PM   #1
Keith Rogan

I don't have a question, I just wanted to publicly thank Harley for solving an old mystery.
A friend of mine is doing genealogy research on her West Virginia roots. She ran across this fascinating old character of a mountain-man called Eli "Rimfire" Hamrick. She sent me this terribly scratched and faded old jpg of Ole Rimfire posing with his dog and rifle.
I figured that in those poor times, this guy probably only owned that one rifle and if it could be identified it would help her out. I couldn't post the picture on the board so I sent it to Harley through email and he ID'd it as an obscure rimfire - the Allen Drop Breech Rimfire Rifle - 1860 vintage. Rimfire apparently carried and used that rifle well into this century and was a legendary shooter with it.

So Thank You Harley! You solved a 100 year old mystery! Ole Rimfire is one of the most important (or at least colorful) people in this extended clans history and they asked me to tell you how much they appreciated your help.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old May 7, 1999, 01:03 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Keith:
You are more than welcome. It was really a pleasure and I am glad I was able to identify it for you.

I also received an email from "The Clan" regarding the same matter. I visited their home page and found it most interesting.

Harley
Old May 8, 1999, 12:58 PM   #3
Keith Rogan

Harley,

You're just a class act! I may myself be related to the clan in question - my brother is doing his own genealogy search and many of my roots are in that same area.
In talking to Autumn ("Rimfires" descendant), I learned that he was born in 1868, so he obviously did not get the rifle issued to him in the civil war.
I'm more interested in guns than genealogy, but in perusing a civil war site I found one "M. Hamrick" listed as a volunteer with the WV 11th infantry regiment - M Hamrick also never was issued his "Volunteer medal" and the state of WV awaits a descendant to claim it - could this be Rimfires dad or uncle?.

Do you, or anyone else know a site where one can learn which regiments were issued weapons other than the standard Springfields? I mean, which regiments might have been issued these Allen Drop Rimfires - the weapon may help tie up loose ends. The rifle was a personal one (we know that much - not issued to him in his game warden, law enforcement duties) because he carried it for it like 60 years.
I'm guessing it was passed to him by a family member who brought it home from the war, so if we can find which regiments to search, it would really help.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan