The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Mossy500

Century arms Coach gun

Hows it goin. ive recently been looking into coach guns, and i was wondering if any one had much first hand experience with the Century Arms 12G Coach gun. Its between this and the Stoeger. I like the feel of both of them, i would prefer the stoeger but i also prefer the price of the Century. about $150 less around here.
but im mainly just lookin to see the Pros and cons of the century.

"Its only illegal if you get caught"
Old March 7, 2010, 07:42 PM   #2
jlv08

Are you talking about the one with the rabbit ears? The Century import my dad in law has is Chinese made and seems to be pretty well put together.

Don't know squat about the Stoeger.
Old March 7, 2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Mossy500

ya i think thats the one

Old March 7, 2010, 08:20 PM   #4
rickyjames

real coach guns need rabbit ears and duel triggers. coach guns are more for self defense than huntiing, the rabbit ears and safety are an advantage for that. i have both, the stoeger in a longer barrel for hunting, the coach gun for fun and self defense.
Old March 9, 2010, 01:30 PM   #5
blue99

I've been searching for more information on the JW-2000 coach gun also. I would like to know how durable they are and what is the choke setup on them.
Are they made by the same company that makes the TTN? Sorry about hijacking your post but, I was hoping for more feed back......Thanks, John.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Mossy500

oh thats no problem.. i actually bought one today. i havent had a chance to shoot it yet but ill give you my first impressions.

it seems very well made. the parts fit together great and nothing wiggles.the hammers and triggers feel smooth.
the choke configuration, i believe, is IC on the left and M on the right. and those are fixed chokes. mine is also the JW-2000.

as for who makes it,i have heard before but i cant remember. it is Chinese. on the left barrel it says Zhongzhou Machine Works, China.. and on the right barrel it says CAI Georgia, VT.... 12GA 2 3/4" or 3" chamber

Last edited by Mossy500; March 9, 2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Mossy500

im also happy that this model comes with the sling swivels attached

Old March 9, 2010, 07:39 PM   #8
cloudcroft

A S/S shotgun -- if it has no choke -- is hardly good for hunting (except in an emergency) and as for self-defense, it's not good for that, either: 2 shots and then a VERY slow reload especially under stress. Choose something else for hunting and SD.

But it DOES look good for hanging over a fireplace mantle...and as an in-house backup gun should it be needed.

-- John D.
Old March 9, 2010, 09:54 PM   #9
blue99

Thanks for the information Mossy500......The JW-2000 looks pretty solid, I just haven't heard much about them.......Usually the threads are about the Stoeger, Baikal, and CZ coach guns. What I have noticed is that the chokes I/C and M should be good for hunting too.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:50 PM   #10
cloudcroft

Yes, those chokes are almost classic for an "Upland Game" hunting shotgun.

My Savage 311 (also a S/S) has those same chokes.

-- John D.