The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
tstone

Primer question...

Hi! New to the forum and reloading, and I have a quick question. I've read several posts here and elsewhere that state Mag primers should be used with H110 (.44 mag) or anywhere the data manual states to use mag primers. I have two data manuals and a Hogdon pamphlet and these all say to only used mag primers when indicated. However, I've not seen ANY designation to use mag primers in any of the load data for .44 mag. Will CCI-300's not light H110 consistently? I have only one local source for reloading supplies so my selection is kinda limited. I wanted some Win. Lg Pistol primers, but they didn't have any. Just wondered if anybody could shed some light on this. Thanks.
Old January 9, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
XD-Guy

You won't find many recipes calling for magnum primers. I reload for my 357 magnum and that calls for a small pistol primer as well. Even my 45acp uses a large and not a magnum
Old January 9, 2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Will CCI-300's not light H110 consistently?
No, they won't and I say that from experience. Using CCI primers, you should use 350's with H110 (and W296). Now, 99% of the time a standard primer like a CCI 300 will ignite H110 just fine, but it's that 1 in a hundred that leaves a bullet sitting in the barrel. A good solid crimp is also a requirement with that powder.

Which reloading manuals do not include the recommendation to use magnum primers (or WLP) with H110 in a .44 Mag load? Speer and Hodgdon (#26) both recommend using a magnum primer. Hornady and Nosler load using WLP's which are hotter than a standard LP primer.
Old January 9, 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
mightyoakwildlife

I think there may be a little misinterpretation here... A "magnum" primer is not a different size, but a "hotter burning" primer. They are offered in most rifle & pistol sizes, and are usually called for in high volume powder charges such as the "magnum" calibers. Many powders (many ball types, sphericals and flakes, etc.) are slightly more difficult to ignite consistantly, and therefore usually call for the hotter primer also.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:30 PM   #5
shooter chef

I only load for .357 magnum, not .44; but i only use magnum primers for 2400 and h110.... i have not had any problems with ignition at all. Other powders such as unique or bullseye which are lower volumes, i use standard primers, and again, have not had any ignition problems. Hope that helps a bit...