The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Dan44149

Noob Equipment Questions

I'm starting to outfit my loading bench. I'm running into equipment availability issues on some things and I'm looking at interchangeability.

It looks as though different brands are interchangeable, but I'd like to pick your brains to make sure, before I rack my brain against the wall with having to return stuff.

To start...

I have a Hornady L-N-L single stage kit. I'm going to start by loading 9mm & .40S&W, and eventually will load .223, .308, .30-06, and .32 Win Spl.

The kit came with the press, powder measure, scale (which I have heard others talk about being problematic to +/-.002), handbook, 3 LnL die bushings, primer catcher, positive priming system, hand held priming tool, chamfer/deburring tool, primer turning plate, and 1-shot case lube.

I have, for the most part, decided on the Hornady Nitride 3 die set (taper crimp) for the 9mm and .40S&W. Experiences shared with this die-set will be appreciated. I'm not purchasing the rifle dies until I get comfortable loading my own rounds with the pistol cartridges.

I'm having difficulty finding the Hornady shell holder for the 9mm that isn't back-ordered, but other brands are available. I assume the brands would be interchangeable, but wanted clarification.

I also plan to pick up a tumbler and a caliper. Any other equipment I should have to start loading the pistol cartridges?
NRA Life-Member
Old December 4, 2011, 10:31 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

Any of the following will work in your press. Lyman, RCBS, Forster, Redding, or Lee. Lee sells a set of several that covers a lot of calibers, and cost around $20 give or take a few dollars.
Old December 4, 2011, 12:16 PM   #3
savagelover

I love the Lee sets..I have the green box as well as the red.It has all you will need as far as standard shell holders go...One set for the hand primer tool and the other for your press ram...You can not BEAT this deal...Order them today....John
Old December 4, 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

welcome to the forum and to handloading.

Dan44149,

If you are not completely committed to the Hornady dies, I would consider the Lee Tungsten Carbide. All Lee dies come with the shellholder for the press included. With the Hornady dies you have to buy the shell holder separately (what?, about $6 to $10? small in the larger scheme of things, but including one as Lee does is a nice touch of class)

I did not know (as savagelover states) Lee includes the shell holder for their priming tool (which is not universal, as the press' shell holders are).

Virtually all makers' shell holders fit on all makers' presses, so if you buy an RCBS shell holder, or use the one that comes with Lee dies, or buy a Redding shell holder, it will fit on your Hornady press.

I am told that the Lee bushings will fit the Hornady press (and vice-versa). And, of course you already know the die threads are the same.

Good luck

Lost Sheep
Old December 4, 2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Dan44149

Thanks for the information guys... I'm not totally committed to anything other than the press kit as of yet. I've heard a lot about the Lee's and the RCBS's so I think it will be an availability issue of what is local.
NRA Life-Member
Old December 4, 2011, 04:16 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Welcome to the asylum! Sounds like you're off to a great start. I like both shades of green, both reds and even the grey and black boxes now and then. They all play well together. For some jobs the green boxes are better, for others the best product comes in a red package. I think it would be a mistake to have exclusively RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman or any other brand on any loading bench unless you only loaded one or two cartridges in small quantities. May sound a bit like Yogi Berra but I'm pretty loyal to just about all of them.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:37 PM   #7
mumbo719

Quote:
The kit came with the press great choice it's a quality press, powder measure, scale (which I have heard others talk about being problematic to +/-.002)The scale works great for me, handbook Hornady's book is ok for a beginner, I like the Lyman book better, 3 LnL die bushings, primer catcher, positive priming system, hand held priming tool, chamfer/deburring tool, primer turning plate, and 1-shot case lube.
Quote:
I have, for the most part, decided on the Hornady Nitride 3 die set (taper crimp) for the 9mm and .40S&W. Experiences shared with this die-set will be appreciated.I have the New Dimension dies and they work great, RCBS makes great dies also. I'm not purchasing the rifle dies until I get comfortable loading my own rounds with the pistol cartridges.
Quote:
I'm having difficulty finding the Hornady shell holder for the 9mm that isn't back-ordered, most use the Lee shell holder, I believe they are all interchangeable so go with the lowest price
All good questions, have fun and stay safe!
Old December 5, 2011, 05:55 PM   #8
DarthNul

Other brands of shell holders will work with the Hornady single stage press. However, if you got the kit that comes with the hand priming tool, you'll probably need Hornady shell holders for that. THe Hornady shell holders seem to have a larger hole through the middle of 'em and the priming tool needs that.

One thing to keep in mind if you end up with more than one of each size shell holder from different manufacturers: They aren't all the same thickness, so if you adjust your 9mm resizing die with a Hornady shell holder, you may need to re-adjust the die if you switch to a different make shell holder.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:48 PM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Lyman also sells a universal shellholder set , at a very reasonable price !
Old December 6, 2011, 02:40 AM   #10
Dan44149

Thanks to all of you for your replies. My local shop had the Hornady shell holders so I got those. I also picked up a set of RCBS Carbide dies. I loaded up some rounds, but the only bullets my shop had were Hornady 155gr HP-XTPs. I used Alliant Power Pistol powder in different loads. So far, the best groupings were with the 7.0 gr charge. I found another shop today that had flat nose bullets and I loaded up 2 charges with them for groupings and another charge of 7.6gr with the XTPs. I'm having a blast but need to find an internet supplier.

On a side note... I think I'm addicted.
NRA Life-Member
Old December 6, 2011, 04:49 AM   #11
mumbo719

For internet suppliers check out

Precision Delta, Montana Gold and Berrys bullets.
Old December 6, 2011, 08:08 AM   #12
engineermike

Powder Valley is another good source of supplies.
Old December 8, 2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Dan44149

Wow... Precision is great!
NRA Life-Member
Old December 8, 2011, 11:40 PM   #14
TXGunNut

Midway is a good source of equipment and supplies. Buffalo Arms, Powder Valley, Berry's, Dillon and Precision Delta have treated me well over the years too.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old December 8, 2011, 11:56 PM   #15
Dan44149

Yeah so far it looks like Berry's has the best deal in .223 and Precision has the best for my 9mm and .40's.
NRA Life-Member
Old December 9, 2011, 08:46 PM   #16
1SOW

Quote:
I'm having difficulty finding the Hornady shell holder for the 9mm that isn't back-ordered, but other brands are available. I assume the brands would be interchangeable, but wanted clarification.
Just info to file away.
The vast majority of 9mm case holders don't actually fit 9mm luger. They are "universal" holders that fit 9mm, 40 cal and others. Lee and Lyman for sure.
I've been told that RCBS actually sells one 'just' for 9mm luger, but I can't verify that. I was also told on-line a smaller LEE case-holder would solve the problem. It didn't.

Depending on the press, those universal die's "sloppy fit" can cause occassional die alignment and on-press primer seating irritations.

re bullets: Montana Gold, Berry's Bullets, & Zero Bullets

I shot 9mm P.D. for quite awhile and then started getting a lot of nose-shape/length variations with 124 FMJs. They even sent me 500 free bullets when I told them the variations, but they weren't very good either. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I quit ordering from them.

Last edited by 1SOW; December 9, 2011 at 08:55 PM.