The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2011, 06:36 AM   #1
svt40

New PPKS SW380

My new SW blue 380 PPKS has been jam free for 500rds of shooting,ww-rem,federal,ball and rem 102 golden saber&hornady critical defence. Practicing fast double taps in chest at 7yds and one slow head shot it is very accurate. Much better than the old german interarms import which jammed at least 1rd. per 50 and would bite with the hammer. I like this pocket auto in a pocket holster in my front jeans pocket. Its flatter than the SW642 I use to carry and holds more shot with better accuracy &faster reload! I like the 102 gr. golden saber for carry ammo.
Old October 12, 2011, 06:53 AM   #2
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Well that is excellent but is it really "new" or just "new to you". The reason I ask is because a couple years back, their PP line all got recalled because they would occasionally discharge when de-cocked. If it was made after Feb 2009, you should be OK. If it was made before Feb 2009, I would call S&W to see if that particular serial number had been fixed. In the past, S&W has put a special proof-mark on recall-fixed guns. I'm not sure what they did with this recall.
Old October 12, 2011, 07:38 AM   #3
alloy

Never noticed any slide or hammer bite with handguns although I've heard alot about it, maybe my hands are German-like or at a minimum...early American? I tend to keep them below the danger zone(the slide).
Is that really an issue? Never tried an SW380.

Last edited by alloy; October 12, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old October 12, 2011, 09:09 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
[My] old german interarms import... would bite with the hammer.
The S&W PPK and PPK/S have a longer beavertail than the older German guns.
Old October 12, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
svt40

Mine is 2010 on the fired empty and the ser.## is why out of the range that the early ones had with the firing pin problem. I talked to the factory. The issue of the firing pin is a old issue. Point of interest is Ruger cast the frames for SW. These are very fine PPK,s better than the old design and cnc closer tolerences than the old. Allso throated to feed anything!! I trust my life on it . Somthing I could not do with the old Interarms. Which will be sold soon to my brother in law who wants it to look at because James Bond had one in 32 auto. The recall was over a batch of firing pins that had teething problems and has been changed 3 something years ago.

Last edited by svt40; October 12, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 12, 2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Rugerismisticness

Ruger also does the 1911 frames aswell, and many other mfgs like the Desert Eagle frames. Glad to hear that yours is running well with the JHPs, it's just a bit on the heavy side for me.
Old October 12, 2011, 11:09 AM   #7
flintforever

I have a 2002 model PPKS and yes it is on recall but I Do Not use the decocker to drop the hammer on a round chambered :I will ride the hammer down with my Thumb .The gun shoots flawless I would hate to get it back all chewed up :I read a few post were this has happen
I will say it will shoot any thing you load in the mag: I now carry the Fiocchi 90 Gr.HP followed with a Winchester FP FMJ
I purchased the gun used and I would say the gun did not fired a box threw it dead on at anything out to 15 yards
Old October 12, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
The issue of the firing pin is a old issue.
Yes it is, unless your gun is older than 2009 and not repaired. Just a word to the wise.

I thought about the S&W PPKS but went for the Sig 232SL instead. They are very similar aside from the slightly larger size for the 232. But if I'm shooting .380, I find the Kahr P380 to have less recoil and is consequently more accurate in my hands.
Old October 12, 2011, 05:30 PM   #9
svt40

I had a SIg 230 stainless it was good for a belt gun,but to big for the front pocket of my bluejeans. I like the Sigs my favorite is a 9mm 239!
Old October 12, 2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Niantician

I've always wished they would chamber these guns in 9x19.