The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 26, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
ZVP

Loaded for a week?

Well I went and did it, I loaded my Piettia Police with 6 cylinderfulls and forgot to cap and shoot it. I had 3 other guns out and just skipped firing off the gun (it's NOT capped).
When I put the revolvers back in the Range Bag, I somehow over-looked that the revolver was still loaded! When I got home and went to secure the gun in the safe, I discovered the loads!
Now because of commitments I'll have to wait till next weekend to shoot the charges off... This'll answer if Pyrodex stayes good for a week!
ZVP
Old September 26, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Hawg

It will stay good a lot longer than that.
Old September 26, 2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Model-P

Quote:
I got home and went to secure the gun in the safe, I discovered the loads!
I can't forsee myself forgetting to fire a cap-and-ball revolver I had just loaded, but if I did I know I would have discovered it while cleaning before securing it in the safe
Old September 26, 2011, 05:07 PM   #4
mykeal

If it hadn't been fired it didn't need to be cleaned.

And if it's not capped it's not loaded.

A chamber with powder and ball but no cap is charged, not loaded. Add the cap, and it's loaded.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5
kadima

BTDT, once I went to the firing range, loaded my Uberti made 1858 Remington to discover that I had no caps with me. And nobody else at the range on that day was muzzleloading.
So I had to go back home and on the next weekend I happily fired all the six shots without any problem.

K.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:40 PM   #6
darkroommike

hygroscopic BP substiture

Just to be safe put the Pistol in a one gallon zipper bag with some dessicant. BP and Pyrodex will absorb water from the air.

I'm not a BP shooter but used to hang around with one.

Last edited by darkroommike; September 26, 2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: terribul speller
Old September 26, 2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Model-P

Quote:
If it hadn't been fired it didn't need to be cleaned.

And if it's not capped it's not loaded.

A chamber with powder and ball but no cap is charged, not loaded. Add the cap, and it's loaded.
He said he loaded six cylinderfulls, by which I understood he must have shot five. Now I see he must have meant six chamberfulls. O.K.

As for loaded vs. not loaded you're speaking legalese. I think we all would normally say we are "loading" a cap-and-ball revolver anywhere in the process of pouring in powder and seating balls, even if we don't get to capping the nipples.

Either way, understanding the gun didn't need cleaning, I rescind my previous post made in humor.
Old September 26, 2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Just to be safe put the Pistol in a one gallon zipper bag with some dessicant. BP and Pyrodex will absorb water from the air.
Nah, not as long as no air gets to it. It will stay viable for centuries, even buried in the ground.