The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 8, 2012, 01:34 PM   #51
9mmsnoopy

The guns i own were not cheap, i'm not about to loan them out.
Bushmaster AR15
Old October 8, 2012, 02:55 PM   #52
Pointshoot

Ive loaned them to family. - - The guns I've loaned out were good, solid working guns. Rifles and shotguns for hunting and defense. I guess I'm the 'gun guy' in my circle of family & friends. The others are hunters, but not really 'gun nuts' - - they see them as tools. I don't loan out the more fancy or rare pieces, but let others shoot them when I'm there with them. For some uses, its great to have a synthetic stocked 870 pump gun or Benelli auto that you can use hard and not be concerned about getting in the muck. My buddies say they enjoy shooting my 'fancy guns' but wouldnt want them because theyd worry about messing them up and losing value.
I've never loaned out a handgun though.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:08 PM   #53
Denezin

Only to people ive known all my life. I did this once while fixing my buddys shotgun and loaned him mine for a day or two. but we are so close i could walk to his house.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #54
osbornk

I would loan out my 2 old single shot shotguns. They have been dragged through the woods for 60+ years and it would be hard to make them look any worse than they already do.

I "might" loan out my rifles to very special and trusted friends but it would be hard. They both still look and perform like new.

I won't loan out my handguns. There is just to much that could happen to someone if they were not handled properly.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:33 PM   #55
Jammer Six

I'll lend a weapon to anyone to whom I would lend a tool.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:54 PM   #56
Yung.gunr

There are two people I would loan a gun to. One of my Brothers and one of my cousins. They are the only ones I trust to treat it correctly, both safety wise and how to take care of firearms.

I learned long ago not to loan anything to my Dad that I wanted back the same condition I loaned it to him. He's my Dad and I love the guy, but he does not take care of his stuff.

But, then again I am VERY particular about loaning and asking to borrow anything. My Dad has a bunch of four wheelers and always invites us to go out riding with him. We have gone once because he took the WHOLE family out. Any other time we don't go because I don't want to fix anything that breaks while I am riding it. Soooo.. I don't ride it.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:40 PM   #57
bedbugbilly

I'll gladly let someone shoot one of my firearms if I'm there. Other than that . . . . I'd never loan a firearm to anyone .. . . . guns are like women . . . would you loan your wife or girlfriend out?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 8, 2012, 09:15 PM   #58
Edward429451

I'd loan a gun to anyone that I would loan a tool to. I don't hang out with people that are iffy to me. I have bought guns with the intention that it will be a "loaner". That way, they don't have to borrow some of my finer guns, but I don't let them down.

I have turned people down before, to borrowing a gun. I didn't like the situational they expressed and it made my spidey sense tingle so he got denied. I gave a 38 snub to my sister once because she was about to drive from Ohio to Washington state all alone. I told her to not worry about returning it, I just wanted to make sure she would be safe.

I loaned my BIL my G21 once when he was going camping and had no sidearm. Sure, here ya go. Family. When he got back, he was unloading his truck and the G21 slipped from the holster and hit the gravel. It made a mark on the back side of the grip and he was about to go buy me a new one because he damaged mine. I drove over fearing the worst and I looked it over and seen nothing. He had to point it out to me! He was so worried that I'd be mad and want a new gun, I could see he was stressing hard about it.

That boy was ready to replace it. He respects me so much that it worried him so. I felt really good about that. That he cared so much to do me right and was honest about it with me...and for such a small ding. I slapped him on the back and said hey, it's a gun. You're family. Don't worry about it at all. I'd loan him another gun without hesitation.

I let my mdl 83 out the door once to my friend who was going to the range and I couldn't make it that day. It was more for me because I wanted to chrony some loads and he did that for me. He was very surprised to have me offer him my finest revolver to borrow (but I know he's no bubba, and is over-flowing with common sense). He thanked me up and down for letting him borrow such a fine gun and said he'd clean it up real good before bringing it back. I said no to that, bring it back dirty and I will clean it. Shooting it is one thing, but taking it apart is another matter that I didn't want to take a chance with.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:23 PM   #59

Loan a gun?

Depends on the person to whom it would be loaned.

My parents, my sibs- all of whom I love and trust, sure.

Some friends most certainly, a few others most certainly not.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:30 PM   #60
dstryr

A couple guys I work with I'd trust my life with, so any of my guns, car, truck, whatever, I'd trust them with also. Not everyone in my family gets the same trust. It is the way it is.

http://www.dstryr.com/

Last edited by dstryr; October 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:43 AM   #61
Slowhand

Trust?????

I have a friend and range partner that I used to work with until we both retired. I've known the guy and his wife for 16 years, I'd loan both them the shirt off my back if they needed it.

I loaned a Lady Friend a handgun until she could get to the store and buy herself one, due to a threatening x-boy friend. Next day I took her to the store and she bought her own. Due to Legal Considerations it was the Best Thing To Do, per my lawyer.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:13 PM   #62
psyfly

Yup. Do it on a fairly regular basis.

For a (very) short list of people I trust, not only in general, but with a firearm.

One of my sons, but not the other (taught them both, but the older one left it behind and now has forgotten, I'm afraid).

A very good friend of mine who borrows one of my little guns that she can carry to the 'big city'.

If she loses it, or dings it, or gets it stolen, I wouldn't allow her to pay for it or try to replace it. Her friendship is worth more to me…

(Well, I'd try to not 'allow' it ; she's pretty hard-headed about things like that ).

Did I mention that it's a short list?

Will
Old October 9, 2012, 01:42 PM   #63
JWT

I have two very close friends, both avid gun collectors and shooters, who I know take very good care of their own guns. I'd loan a gun to either of them should they request it (doubt that they would). Other than that, if someone wants to fire one of my guns when I'm at the range, fine. But no lending.

Likewise I would not ask to borrow a gun from anyone. Asking to shoot one when someone is at the range is fine.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:55 PM   #64
Jammer Six

What someone does with a tool you loaned them isn't your problem.

The only thing I think about when I loan a tool is whether I'm going to get it back.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:11 PM   #65
Buzzcook

Relatives, some in laws, and friends.

Heck I know people that I trust my life to, trusting them with a gun isn't that big a deal.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:38 PM   #66
Luckee

My uncle had a saying which loosely translated to "Two things you should never loan out to your friends, your Wife or your gun"
Old October 9, 2012, 08:14 PM   #67
bbqbob51

I don't lend my guns out, you never what might happen. They might not lock their car or they might let some kid use it and hurt themselves, not to mention possible damage. I seems like every scratch I get on my guns come from just letting friends and family use them when I'm with them. There is a scratch on the receiver of my Henry .22 from my brother-in-law. A shell didn't fully eject and out comes his jackknife and the blade slips when he starts working the shell out, gouging my receiver. I'd rather put my own scratches on my stuff!
Old October 9, 2012, 08:15 PM   #68
SVO

The persons that I would loan a gun to are the people who most likely would never ask to borrow one. and I too, have said no before.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:20 PM   #69
Sharpsdressed Man

if there is no law against it, then discretion would dictate. Yes and no. No to the people you don't trust. Very simple stuff.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:07 PM   #70
warnerwh

The 2 people I wouldn't hesitate to loan a gun to would buy me a new one if anything happened to mine. They would bring my gun back clean but I would tell them to let me clean it because I like doing it myself.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:48 PM   #71
bikerbill

Don't touch my wife ... don't touch my bike ... don't touch my guns ...
Old October 11, 2012, 02:53 AM   #72
Justice06RR

Quote:
I must be the odd man out as I will lend firearms, but only to people whom I implicitly trust. I have said no before, though.
I think this sums it up right here. You can choose to lend firearms only to people you trust.

If you don't trust anyone, then I guess you have trust issues? LOL. will you not lend a gun to your best friend, your brother, your dad, etc, as long as they are trustworthy?

I've lent my cars, motorcycles, guns, and other toys to people I trust. If they break it they buy it. Simple as that. It is pretty much understood that if you crash my bike or car, you pay for it. Same with guns or other toys.

The key is TRUST. In this manner, my friends have also trusted me with their possesions like driving their BMW car, or using their AK47, or riding their jetski.

If you don't trust anyone, how can other people trust you? just my 2cents...
Old October 11, 2012, 05:49 AM   #73
Dragline45

Quote:
If you loan a pencil to someone and they stab someone to death with it you could get sued.

If you loan a lawn mower to someone and they cut of someones foot with it you could get sued.

If you loan a cup of sugar to one neighbor , and he pours it in another neighbors gas tank, you could get sued.
Hmm, not sure if you understand how the law works. Sure I could sue you for just about anything, not that I would win, but loaning a pencil to someone who then uses it to kill someone is not a punishable offense.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:57 AM   #74
p loader

Quote:
Don't touch my wife ... don't touch my bike ... don't touch my guns ...
Yup, good one right there. Most people who ride know not to touch another guy's bike. What clueless people do (who don't ride) is go up to it, swing a leg over and pretend to ride it while yanking the throttle open.

Idiots. GET OFF MY BIKE.

But back on topic, it's just preference and not trust. There are people I trust with my life but I wouldn't give them my Debit card and pin #.

I don't lend guns out, and I don't ask to borrow guns.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:17 AM   #75
Rusty35

Quote:
Dragline45

Hmm, not sure if you understand how the law works. Sure I could sue you for just about anything, not that I would win, but loaning a pencil to someone who then uses it to kill someone is not a punishable offense.
Loaning a gun to someone is not a punishable offense.