The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 27, 2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Spotlight predator help? Bait help.

I just got a spotlight that goes on the top of my scope.
It has a red lense that flips off easily.
I have some questions to ask since I am a beginner at spotlighting.
My quary will be both coyote and bobcat (depending on place and time)
I have heard, you sweep with the red lense and when you have one located due to its eyes, you flip down to the full light and if it goes as plans, they freeze long enough to get a shot. The light is not strong enough to use the red cover as shooting light.
Should I be constantly sweeping the light or just sweep it back and fourth turn it off and then do it again after a minute?
Will bobcat and coyote react differently to the spotlight?
Does the cover of darkness give em a sense of security to were experienced yotes wont circle as much?
Do bobcats still sneak and hide as much as during the day when coming to a call?
Would it still be a good idea to use a decoy?
I also would like to hunt over bait at night, and at day actually, do you just have to sit em out or what? I am kinda clueless when it comes to hunting over bait.
Any helpfull hints would be grately appreciated.
Thank ya
Old November 28, 2008, 02:32 AM   #2
lt dan

Blactail slayer, are you sure the light is not strong enough to shoot through the red cover? i hunt jackal and linx cats about twice a week. the thing is if you call the predators in and they get into range or close the last thing you want to do is fiddle with the covers. the hole point of the light on the scope is to minimize your activities, so that you can focus on the shot with the minimum noise and movement. however i am sure that once you take the light out at night you will see predators eyes good enough through the scope. i hunt with an american made spotlight and it is GOOD.

you can use just the white light and install a dimmer switch, the closer the predator gets the more you tune down the light in the proses having more or less the same effect as the red cover.

Last edited by lt dan; November 28, 2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: it
Old November 28, 2008, 04:27 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Predator Extreme magazine had an article on this sometime back.

The conclusion (after trying various methods) was that the red was clearly less likely to spook game but the white light resulted in more accurate shots.