The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2008, 08:28 PM   #1
roc1

Reloading Fatigue

I have a question concerning loading on two different platforms.One press is the Dillon Square Deal on a Strong Mount.The other is the Hornady AP progressive mounted directly to a piece of 1/2" steel plate on the loading bench.Here is the question the Dillon you load standing the Hornady loads sitting.Hence it seems you get tired quicker sitting rather than standing.I guess this would be due to less muscle effort using your whole body rather than your upper torso?I am wondering if the Hornady was mounted a Strong type Mount if it would lessen fatigue?It is nice to sit rather than stand for a hour or two but the muscles seem to work a lot harder sitting.I guees I answered my own questions but like input from guys doing either method and what you think?
Thanks
roc1
Old September 3, 2008, 09:10 PM   #2
LHB1

Roc,
Use whichever style is most comfortable for you. I have my two Hornady LNL AP's bolted directly to the bench and sit on a padded barstool when loading. On a typical loading session, I crank out 300-400 rounds, which is approx one hour. This is comfortable for me even though I've had a few birthdays (69) and my arms aren't as strong as they used to be. Actually the most tiring thing for me is wiping the loaded rounds to remove excess lube from the cast lead bullets.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:27 PM   #3
impactco

I mounted my LNL AP to a 4x6 block bolted through the bench. This allows me to stand comfortably during usage of the press.

Last edited by impactco; September 3, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:12 PM   #4
D. Manley

Quote:
Reloading Fatigue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question concerning loading on two different platforms.One press is the Dillon Square Deal on a Strong Mount.The other is the Hornady AP progressive mounted directly to a piece of 1/2" steel plate on the loading bench.Here is the question the Dillon you load standing the Hornady loads sitting.Hence it seems you get tired quicker sitting rather than standing.I guess this would be due to less muscle effort using your whole body rather than your upper torso?I am wondering if the Hornady was mounted a Strong type Mount if it would lessen fatigue?It is nice to sit rather than stand for a hour or two but the muscles seem to work a lot harder sitting.I guees I answered my own questions but like input from guys doing either method and what you think?
Thanks
roc1
My primary press is a Dillon SDB atop a strong mount on an already high bench...set up this way intentionally to have the shellplate high enough to access without bending and, to be clearly visible for powder checking and stage functions. All other presses are bench mounted for sitting use. One of the best additions I put in my reloading room is a couple of pneumatic, height-adjustable swivel stools. Being able to change the height position occasionally while sitting is great for a little "muscle relief" during lengthy sessions. FWIW, picked up the stools @ Sams Club for $39.00 each...very sturdy & worth the bucks.
Old September 4, 2008, 12:04 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

I find I tire quicker while standing, than sitting. However, I have always reloaded while sitting. My muscles don't like it any other way. It also helps with the marathon sessions that often occur. (10+ hours with only a few breaks to keep me sane.)

For my own reloading bench, I spent literally weeks testing different bench heights and seating options. Finding the most comfortable, and controllable position for running the press was the #1 factor I was looking for. #2 was a practical height for working on other things while standing.

In the end, a 36" tall bench and 24" bar stool sealed the deal. When the Dillon 550 makes its way here; an adjustable bar stool will make up the difference between press sizes.

The most tiring thing I have found, is when the press is mounted too high. Constantly lifting your arms to work the press and handle cases can really wear you out.

Too low, and your back and neck will hurt.

Find that sweet spot, and you can load all day. See if you can adjust the height of the press so you are only moving your arm, instead of the whole upper body.
Old September 4, 2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Sevens

Interesting topic! IMO, I get less fatigued when standing simply because it's raising my arm up high that gets tiring. When I stand, my feet and legs get tired but it's better than my arm getting tired. Continually adjusting my feet position helps. For low press effort operations (priming, bullet seating) I tend to sit, and for the more physical operations (sizing, flaring) I typically stand, but I switch 'em up, too. Obviously, I load single stage, so I'm pulling that handle many more times per loaded round than you progressive guys.

Quote:
10+ hours with only a few breaks to keep me sane
Yikes. Nope, couldn't do it. I could spend 10 hours in the man cave doing many different things, but no way could I spend 10 hours pulling the handle on a press. I would be too worried about fouling up something important. Progressive, that would be a different story, but I couldn't pull the handle on my setup for 10 hours straight.
Old September 4, 2008, 10:00 AM   #7
azredhawk44

Quote:
Yikes. Nope, couldn't do it. I could spend 10 hours in the man cave doing many different things, but no way could I spend 10 hours pulling the handle on a press. I would be too worried about fouling up something important. Progressive, that would be a different story, but I couldn't pull the handle on my setup for 10 hours straight.
I don't think I'd be worried about screwing up... I'm a single stage guy myself and I'm so anal-retentive about each step I'm unlikely to doublecharge or not charge a batch that I'm working on.

I'd just get bored! I'd run out of the fun stuff to do... you know, powder and bullets. I'd have to sit and resize or trim cases if I spent 10 hours reloading, and I loathe those two activities. Especially trimming. Little brass shavings everywhere, so I can't do it inside where it's nice and cool. Argh.

I think that's my fatigue point: case trimming. I can't stand to do more than about 50 at a time.
Old September 4, 2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Sevens

No doubt that trimming/chamfering sucks. Cleaning primer pockets sucks, too. But I can do it inside -- I use a pretty large Rubbermaid type of tub and a variable speed drill and the Lee tools. Simplistic, not as precise as a real trimming setup (cuts all to same safe working length)

Seems I can spend 10 hours digging through different brass, re-arranging bullets and such on the shelf and researching load data. With single stage, I tend to do large lots of things, so if you look for my .45 brass, you'll see a big load of it that is fired and tumbled, and needs to be sized. Then, you'll find it separated by headstamp and sized and flared. A different container will have 50 or 100 or 150 pieces that are sized, primed, flared and all with same headstamp, ready to me made in to loaded rounds. And that's just .45! You can imagine the space and scads of containers I use to keep this stuff (semi) organized and how I spend time digging through it!
Old September 4, 2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Perajio

When I'm reloading, I'm always so busy with what's involved that I usually forget to sit down........

Join The NRA and protect you're rights!
Old September 4, 2008, 02:37 PM   #10
jmorris

I prefer sitting. Also, try using case lube, yes even for pistol rounds, if you do it once you won’t stop. If none of that works try one of these http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...rrent=1050.flv You’ll run out of components before you get tired.
Old September 4, 2008, 10:06 PM   #11
roc1

What kinda of press is that?
roc1
Old September 4, 2008, 10:23 PM   #12
D. Manley

Quote:
What kinda of press is that?
roc1
Dillon Super 1050 with KISS bullet feeder.
Old September 4, 2008, 11:18 PM   #13
Win1892

I have a stool that I lean against with the back 2 legs off the ground. It takes the weight off my legs but still keeps me solidly anchored to counter the force of the Dillon 650.

With my Ammomaster or Partner I am usually sitting.

As far as case trimming goes, I just ordered a Giraud trimmer and a Dillon primer crimp swager. No more postponed projects or sore fingers.

I've been loading for about 10 years and I'd rather quit loading than use my hand trimmer and Trim Mate.