The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1
armoredman

Didja notice Accurate Arms load data changed? A lot?

My downloaded load data sheet from last year to this year is a dramatic difference, especially in the cast loads section for 9mm. I was using 7.6 grains of #7 for a 124grain cast bullet load in the Phantom, and 6.4 grains #7 in the P-01. The cast data I had said the low load was actually below the minimum, and the higher was in the mid range of OK.
The new data put 6.4 at the upper range of OK, and my 7.6 are over a full grain too high, plus P cast loads. I snorted...until I checked primers, and found a number that were quite flat. Hmm, never noticed that before.
I contacted AA, and they said they went to a new type of pressure checking, and reformulated load data.
Soooo...to make a long story short, check your data, see if things have changed at Camp de Accurate Arms for your load. Just an FYI for anyone who might not have noticed.
Old June 5, 2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Marco Califo

The latest download also include quadrupling the 223 loads adding specific loads for Barnes copper bullets and many cast/plated bullet handgun loads including Ranier and Berrys.

I was disappointed with the 308 section which was NOT expanded.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf
Old June 6, 2011, 12:29 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I was disappointed with the 308 section which was NOT expanded.
Buy more of their powder, so they can afford to justify more testing.
Old June 6, 2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Clark

In 2000 AA published some CZ52 only data.
They said it as 42k c.u.p. per the Eastern European Tokarev ammo they tested.... but don't shoot it in Tokarevs, because they are not as strong.

I blew up a couple CZ52s and complained on the internet that they were not strong, despite what all the books and magazines said.

I got 90% flames in reaction.

But CZ52s kept blowing up and in 2004 AA reduced the CZ52 loads from 42 k c.u.p. to 32 k c.u.p.

I noticed that my Quickload program thought they had reduced the loads from 63,866 psi to 22,953 psi.

Later in 2004, AA took all CZ52 loads down.

11 years later, I must seem like a broken record
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 6, 2011, 08:13 AM   #5
bfoosh006

AA was bought by Ramshot / Western Powders. Western Powders is one of the only powder companies to publish 5.56 data. They fire and show pressure figures with all their data. So you will see some data changes.

In the past they have published some smokin' hot data. They had one .40 SW 155gr XTP load that did an honest 1341 fps in my 5" fully-supported barrel... at the minimum / start charge level.
Old June 6, 2011, 01:44 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
In the past they have published some smokin' hot data. They had one .40 SW 155gr XTP load that did an honest 1341 fps in my 5" fully-supported barrel... at the minimum / start charge level.
Aye. Right now, their True Blue data for .327 Federal is smokin' hot. Most loads encounter flowing primers and difficult extraction with starting loads. (And there's only one company producing brass... So, it's pretty easy to "duplicate" the load, other than lot-to-lot variation in other components.)

I expect to see quite a few changes to the .327 data with their next update.

Edit: Sorry, I had some major brain farts today (other threads, as well). True Blue is a Ramshot powder. ...But the issue with starting loads still remains.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; June 7, 2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old June 6, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Loader9

Yeah, they apparently have been reformulating. That and the lawyers have apparently been having to justify their paychecks. I was looking back for a post about a guy that had issues with ammo he loaded using AA#9 in a 10MM. The data I have from the State (which furnishes it to me) says it is not to be used in the 10mm and that was also confirmed in a phone call to them. I don't really have much use for the powder except for 2 trappers. One shoots a 357 SIG and a guy with a 10mm which they said would create issues. Now, after reviewing the specs on the powder, they've increased the nitro in it by 4% and changed the density from .975 to .950. I guess this is yet another powder maker I can add to the short list of dimwits I won't use their products. If yer gonna change the freakin formula and the burning characteristics, change the dam name. Is that so hard? Folks using the old data will be borderline of blowing guns up if they don't know the formula has changed. Almost makes ya wanna call the morons everytime you get a shipment of powder to see what they've screwed up again. For me which I know is an exception, I don't have the trappers rifles or pistols here and some are almost 800 miles away. Not exactly easy for me to just work up new loads. Oh well, there's always ADI and Hodgdon.
Old June 6, 2011, 09:02 PM   #8
engineermike

Geeez, and I was just about to change over to their #5 powder. Guess it's back to Hodgdons. Guess I had better call the guy I gave the #7 too.
Old June 6, 2011, 11:01 PM   #9
armoredman

It was the data that changed, not the formula, at least for #7, when I contacted the factory. I remember using datat for #2 from a Hornady manual from about 10 years prior, and wondering why I was getting such wild results - the company had gotten a new maker for the #2 and the formula had changed - my fault for using old data.
I still like #7 for 9mm and #2 for 38 special, as well as 1680 for 7.62x39mm.